Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[guide] Twisted Fate, the hybrid master

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

UnitedWeStand

08-07-2010

This guide is a suggestion on how to build Twisted Fate hybrid and be an extremely valuable teammate instead of a last-choice fill in. This makes TF into the amazing mid player he once was.

Twisted Fate is squishy there's no getting around that. He is easily focused and easily killed and his one form of hard CC is not an insta-click. You actually have to try to get it. Not to mention his attack range is so short you have to essentially be in the middle of the fight to deal much damage. As such, AD/AS builds simply aren't viable in my opinion (feel free to disagree). Hybrid, however, makes him a whole 'nother deal.

Runes:

Generally, I build runes like this:
Red: Attack Speed out of personal preference but its up to you to an extend
Yellow: Straight Dodge (Saved my life a few times by dodging that one last arrow etc)
Blue: Straight CDR (Need need need the CDR for spamming)

Quints: Kinda whatever fits your style but I get health to make him somewhat less squishy.

Summoner Spells:

Exhaust-Ignite is my favorite combo because it helps get kills and save your life at times.
Ghost-Flash is also nice if you're having trouble staying alive.
Masteries:

Offense
Deadliness-3
Cripple-1 (exhaust mastery)
Sorcery-4
Archaic Knowledge-1
Alacrity-4
Sunder-3
Burning Embers-1 (ignite mastery)
Lethality-3
Havoc-1
Total: 21
Utility
Good Hands-3
Perseverance-2
Expanded Mind-4
Total: 9

So my trees look like this: 21/0/9
But I have also worked with a 9/0/21 build as well and it seems to work out well enough.

My masteries are set as such because TF must play aggressive in his harassment. If he isn't aggressive, he'll be the one being harassed. Offensive masteries help with raw damage output and increase the spammabilty of his spells while the utility masteries add to his ability to stay in the lane just that much longer. Don't forget you only have to maintain mid until level 6. Then you can go wherever you want after a quick recall.

Skills:
His skills are thus:

Q: Wild Cards: Twisted Fate throws three cards in a cone in target direction each card dealing damage to every unit it passes through.
W: Pick a Card: Twisted Fate searches his deck and chooses a card, each card having a different affect
Blue: Deals bonus damage and restores mana equal to the bonus damage dealt
Red: Deals AOE bonus damage and slows all units hit with the bonus damage
Gold: Deals half the bonus damage of Blue and Red but stuns the target
E: Stacked Deck: Twisted Fate's attack speed is increased and cooldowns are decreased and every fourth attack he deals bonus damage
R: Destiny: Twisted Fate reveals all enemy's locations and can teleport to target position on the map while Destiny is active
Skill Order:
  1. W: PaC
  2. Q: Wild Cards
  3. Q: Wild Cards
  4. E: Stacked Deck
  5. Q: Wild Cards
  6. R: Destiny
  7. Q: Wild Cards
  8. E: Stacked Deck
  9. Q: Wild Cards
  10. E: Stacked Deck
  11. R: Destiny
  12. E: Stacked Deck
  13. E: Stacked Deck
  14. W: PaC
  15. W: PaC
  16. R: Destiny
  17. W: PaC
  18. W: PaC
I get PaC first because it is TF's only form of CC so if you need to stun/slow someone before minions spawn to save yourself or get a kill, you need PaC. Its also great for last hitting minions since (if you follow my item build) you'll get just as much mana out of a blue card as you used to cast it. Free bonus damage. Always great.

I then focus Wild Cards because early game they are amazing for harassing due to their short cooldown and ability to travel through minions without loosing any damage. You have no idea how many Ezreal's and AshesI've ticked off because I could hit them but they couldn't hit me as long as I stayed behind my minion line.

When you can no longer level up wild cards, I go Stacked Deck for the bonus damage, attack speed, and CDR over PaC's increased damage because early on, you're not supposed to get within autoattack range of the enemies enough to harass them with PaC anyways. If you're determined to harass with PaC, get a Stacked Deck proc and then wack em with a gold to guarantee no reprisals.

Items

This is just an "on average" item build. Depending on the enemy team make-up and how many of them are stacking resistance and what kind I swap out items here and there but this one is guaranteed to help you through the early game.

1. Doran's Ring
  2. Boots level 1
  3. Sheen
  4. Boots to boots of swiftness (or merc treads if they have a lot of CC)
  5. Guinsoo's Rageblade
  6. Nashor's tooth
  7. Hextech Gunblade
  8. Some survivability item (Guardian's Angel, Banshee's Veil if you're being focused, Rylai's or a similar item if not)
  9. Sheen upgrade to trin-force
This build focuses on early game harass to give you the advantage in your lane and with any luck let you keep that advantage through the rest. Doran's ring lets you stay in lane long enough to reach level 6 which means you have a free chance to shop and return to lane probably before you opponent has and, with luck, you'll get a chance to gank someone when you teleport out.

Grabbing boots lets you stay one step ahead of the enemy and allow for easier escape and chasing when your opponent is still barefoot. Pushing Sheen next gives you a very nice bonus burst essentially every time you use an ability. Both PaC and wild card's have a low enough cooldown that every time sheen is able to proc, you can. Upgrading to boots of swiftness increases your mobility immensely and thus allows you to get in and out of the battle quickly. And now with a decent amount of AP backing you up your wild cards are hitting like a truck and only a few successful hits are needed to make your enemy go running. Remember though that Wild Card spam is extremely mana intensive and thus make every shot count. You should be making mana off of blue card now, however, so feel free to spam that as well.

This needs to be followed quickly by Rageblade since it gives massive bonuses in both attack damage and ability power that gets stronger the more you attack. If you play your cards right you'll have full guinsoo stacks before you even engage in a fight.

Getting Nashor's Tooth allows for even more spammability of your spells and increases the amount of times your Stacked Deck procs as well as allows for more accurate PaC throwing since they are both tied to your auto attack. The faster the attack, the faster the throwing animation, and thus, the faster the PaC hits its target and less chance of accidentally canceling the throw.

Next up is Hextech Gunblade. The stats on gunblade allow for more damage off of both autoattack and spells so again your PaC and stacked deck get double the benefit. It also grants both lifesteal AND spellvamp which increases your survivability and gives you a chance to heal up outside before battle and lets you stay out that much longer. Don't forget the active. With it you can Destiny-gate out to a target, wack em with gold, and then slow them even more then the old destiny used to slow AND deal a nice chunk of damage.

The last two items are somewhat adjustable. If you're dying a little to often or are coming too close to dying then you'll want some survivability. Guardian's Angel is great if they start nuking you down early in the teamfights since you'll come back alive with all their abilities on cooldown. But if they're more afraid of fighting and keep getting away with just a little health get your sheen upgraded into a trinity force and they'll die that much faster.

Playing tips:

Early game harassing is everything and TF is amazing at poking with wild cards. Spam them once you hit level 2 because they start to pack a punch. Watch your mana though so make your shots count. Not hitting at least a line of minions or a champion is a waste of the spell's ability and thus a waste of mana. Use PaC to shut them down whenever they come near and stacked deck proc if they venture into attack range but DO NOT CHASE early. Most other mid champs have a better initiate and thus can out-play you if you get in their range.

Mid game you're going to become what I call a repeat burster. both PaC and wild cards are on a similar CD and thus are spammed almost equally during a fight. So approximately every 3 seconds you'll be hitting them with a decent burst on top of your stacked deck procs and attack damage. They will learn to not hang out in your attack range for very long, but with you ganking ability with destiny they usually won't have much choice.

Late game, if you're doing well, you'll become the target of everyone on the enemy team, so you need to start working heavily with you team, be very careful when you venture out alone, and stay behind your tanks/less squishy allies. If you can put a wall between you and the enemy and use your allied sight to throw attacks, all the better. Keeps a firm object between you and direct damage. With your movespeed gained with my item build you should be able to pick your positions and "snipe" the enemy with wild cards which deal enough damage to squishies to be hurtful and not simply ignored like the AD tf's version.

reverseshades

08-07-2010

If you playing hybrid it means you playing support , you will not be carrying with as a hybrid , Meaning you should be leveling PaC first and helping with ganks.

If you want cdr why don't you just go 9-0-21

If you want an early game advantage and want to be the one harassing , against a good player your not going to hit them unless you buy boots first. In combination with the utility masteries if your running out of mana theres some conservation issues.

Your utility tree doesn't even add up to 9 either , Gunblade for the cost isn't really all that efficient for what your using it for.

Rageblade is more effective early game , Delaying it makes it just that much more pointless to get , On top of the fact that Sheen is also a better early game spike option over Nashors Tooth.

UnitedWeStand

08-07-2010

Quote:
xXFallen OneXx:
If you playing hybrid it means you playing support , you will not be carrying with as a hybrid , Meaning you should be leveling PaC first and helping with ganks.

You don't have to play support if you're playing hybrid. You can deal plenty of damage on your own and be quite the carry. Trust me.
Quote:

If you want cdr why don't you just go 9-0-21

because my build is more offensively oriented and needs the bonus damage given in the offensive tree.
Quote:

If you want an early game advantage and want to be the one harassing , against a good player your not going to hit them unless you buy boots first. In combination with the utility masteries if your running out of mana theres some conservation issues.

Boots have no affect on wild cards. Simply lining up the shots and aiming correctly works just fine
Quote:

Your utility tree doesn't even add up to 9 either

Fixed. my bad
Quote:
Gunblade for the cost isn't really all that efficient for what your using it for.

again I disagree. Its the only object that gives me the stats i'm looking for as well as a useful active. The cost isn't a major factor since TF is **** good at farming with wild card + red card
Quote:

Rageblade is more effective early game , Delaying it makes it just that much more pointless to get , On top of the fact that Sheen is also a better early game spike option over Nashors Tooth.

Look at my build...sheen comes before nashor's...
Also, I do sometimes swap nashor's and rageblade depending on the situation.

iHateDisGame

Recruiter

08-07-2010

Same build for me...

Stall

08-07-2010

AD Dps TF > AP Dps TF. If you wanna go AP, go AP, hybrid makes you hit like a wimp.

Tieryal

08-07-2010

tf isn't a master of anything anymore.

UnitedWeStand

08-08-2010

Quote:
Freegid:
AD Dps TF > AP Dps TF. If you wanna go AP, go AP, hybrid makes you hit like a wimp.

Want to see just how hard I can hit as a hybrid? I've burst down an AD TF before he had a chance to take two steps. I promise you he hits pretty dang hard.

Quote:
Tieryal:
tf isn't a master of anything anymore.

See, that's where you're wrong. I do amazingly well with this build as long as I'm careful and smart about where I position myself. I went 14-10 last game I played with him (was 12-5 but then they got smart and started focusing me) and that was in solo queue with no coordination with my teammates (I also had to spend over 2k gold on oracles cause no one else would so I was behind in getting the items I needed).

Kamaro

08-08-2010

I find AP Twisted the most fun build, too bad he's not really that viable They should increase his Q AP ratio up to 0.7 instead of 0.5 I think.
I build him like this
Flash/ignite
9/21/0 (Ardor, Vet Scars etc, no need for CDR from Utility as you get it from plenty of sources; Stacked Deck, Nashor's tooth, Blue Elixir, Golem buff)
Magic pen reds, scaling mana regen yellow, scaling mana regen blue, Flat HP/Movespeed Quints

Items:
Mana crystal +2 health pot
Mana crystal > sheen + blue elixir: First destiny gank
+3 boots
Rageblade
Nashor
Defensive item (Guardian angel, banshee's veil)
AD item (bloodthirster or w/e, Gunblade could work if you have the cash).

UnitedWeStand

08-08-2010

Quote:
Kamaro:
I find AP Twisted the most fun build, too bad he's not really that viable They should increase his Q AP ratio up to 0.7 instead of 0.5 I think.
I build him like this
Flash/ignite
9/21/0 (Ardor, Vet Scars etc, no need for CDR from Utility as you get it from plenty of sources; Stacked Deck, Nashor's tooth, Blue Elixir, Golem buff)
Magic pen reds, scaling mana regen yellow, scaling mana regen blue, Flat HP/Movespeed Quints

Items:
Mana crystal +2 health pot
Mana crystal > sheen + blue elixir: First destiny gank
+3 boots
Rageblade
Nashor
Defensive item (Guardian angel, banshee's veil)
AD item (bloodthirster or w/e, Gunblade could work if you have the cash).

Pretty similar to my own build. More hybrid then pure AP. The only Issue I have with your starting item is no AP at all but it does make it easier to get sheen which is needed for that extra burst on your first gank...I may try some of that.

devotionx

08-10-2010

early harass? i thought were talking about tf here, his only early harass is an ugly hat