How would you build a tank Taric?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TwistWrist

04-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorick View Post
And you, sir, are incorrect. Taric can do both 1 and 3, especially with max CDR. His Dazzle at max rank with max CDR drops down to a 6 second cooldown. Initiate the fight with a stun, run in and blow your AoE, and your stun will be back up in a few seconds if you need to peel someone off your carry.

A lot of his power is packed into auras, both on his Shatter and his Radiance, so he doesn't get quite so much CC as some other tanks. A lot of people underestimate him as a tank for this reason, but all it means is that the longer you leave him alive the more benefit he'll be giving to his team. He still fulfills the requirements of the job well enough to be able to tank. Sure, newer tanks like Nautilus, Leona, and Sejuani blow him out of the water with CC, with which comes both stronger initiation and stronger peeling, but that doesn't mean he isn't a tank too.

I'm not saying Taric is the best tank in the game. Far from it, I'm aware that he's lacking in quite a few areas compared to other tanks. But that doesn't mean he can't fill the role well enough to suit the title. If he's not a tank, what the heck is he? You initiate fights, you grab the enemy attention, and you protect your carries. That sounds like a tank to me.
You are avoiding the big issue of why your definition is terrible.

Are you saying Ryze with his standard build is a tank?

What about building Tanky/CDR Jax? Is he a tank?

Or old Eve built tanky/CDR?

Or tanky/CDR Fiddlesticks?

Or tanky/CDR Sion?

Or tanky/CDR Kennen?

All those champs have a hard CC that can either used more often or to a greater effective than Taric's stun.

Also, you are going to focus Taric because of his auras? Really? Between attacking the AP/AD Carry....or tank Taric...why would I focus tank Taric? Oh, he's giving them 30 armor and 35 AP/AD. I'll just kill the AP/AD Carry and not have to worry about the bonus stats.

A 6 second stun does not make him usable as a tank. He isn't threatening enough to draw that much fire and he can't CC enough to be a tank. You initiate with your stun? Can't do much if they focus your carry for 6 seconds. 6 seconds is a lot of time.

You can claim that he is just an inferior tank but that seems kind of pointless when a few AP Carries are probably better at tanking than him.

ocnus

04-08-2012

agree with this point. taric can't grab people's attention

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistWrist View Post
You are avoiding the big issue of why your definition is terrible.

Are you saying Ryze with his standard build is a tank?

What about building Tanky/CDR Jax? Is he a tank?

Or old Eve built tanky/CDR?

Or tanky/CDR Fiddlesticks?

Or tanky/CDR Sion?

Or tanky/CDR Kennen?

All those champs have a hard CC that can either used more often or to a greater effective than Taric's stun.

Also, you are going to focus Taric because of his auras? Really? Between attacking the AP/AD Carry....or tank Taric...why would I focus tank Taric? Oh, he's giving them 30 armor and 35 AP/AD. I'll just kill the AP/AD Carry and not have to worry about the bonus stats.

A 6 second stun does not make him usable as a tank. He isn't threatening enough to draw that much fire and he can't CC enough to be a tank. You initiate with your stun? Can't do much if they focus your carry for 6 seconds. 6 seconds is a lot of time.

You can claim that he is just an inferior tank but that seems kind of pointless when a few AP Carries are probably better at tanking than him.

Murkus Dagger

Recruiter

05-08-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by ocnus View Post
agree with this point. taric can't grab people's attention
I strongly disagree here. Full tank Taric is my main, and he CAN grab attention. Tarics Shatter can easily deal more damage than his ult even. it scales off of his armor. i run out, stun, ult, shatter, then heal. iceborn gauntlet deals spellblade and CDR; DoT and a slow. I often triple or quad kill and then ghost out of the scene and a heal or two later i'm back at full health. oh and his ult is a buff that passes to his allies? endgame, i walk in to let the towers shoot me, and my allies can take the tower out at their own pace. i can survive for maybe 15-20 seconds. and if i ulted thats more than enough time. And when full tank Taric is Godlike, trust me, the other team will stop poking your glass cannon ADC.

But i've only been playing for 2 months so i'm still actually a noob.

oh but you know whats even better about how full tank taric can still support? By endgame i'm granting my nearby allies between 50-70 armor when i haven't used shatter.