How would you build a tank Taric?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aesaura

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-07-2012

I want to know what:

Summoner Spells
Items
What order to level skills
Tips about how to play him.
Any other Information.

I was thinking if this should go into the LoL general discussion forum, but all I see is general discussion, doesn't really look like a place where you would get answers for questions like these. I've read some guides but they seem outdated.

RagePro

04-07-2012

Well tank Taric isn't very viable anymore, you usually see him built as a support.

fullmetal2000

04-07-2012

you can play as support and tank at the same time

Sumoners: heal for obvious reasons and i guess flash to escape, positioning.
Items: you wont have much gold cause youll want your carry to farm so you could begin with heart of gold (free gold after a while). then aegis of the legion and finally upgrade you heart of gold to randuim omen. those 2 would be my core items.

Skills: you want to max your heal first, then your ability to lower armor to help your teamates and finally stun (i think on all lvls its the same time stuned so no need to lvl it up). and your R whenever it's up.

mm tips?? dont forget about your support role

Aesaura

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by RagePro View Post
Well tank Taric isn't very viable anymore, you usually see him built as a support.
Really? oh, so I guess this useless haha. btw, I use AP taric and he works quite well. thanks for the tip though.

Jorick

04-07-2012

I play a fair bit of Taric, though I usually go with a utility/aura build instead of a true tank build. Anyway, here's what I suggest for building Taric as a tank.

First of all, you're going to be filling a support role for the early game. For summoners you want two of the following: Flash, Clairvoyance, Exhaust, Heal. CV is good as a support skill, lets you keep tab on the enemy jungler and check bushes for lurking enemies, but not exactly the best option for Taric. Flash is infinitely useful for getting into or out of fights. Exhaust is a lovely skill for a tank, lets you slow the heck out of someone to get a kill or keep them from killing you/your team. Heal is a generally taken by AD carries nowadays, but if they don't grab it you can do so instead. The only one of these I would sort of say is mandatory for a tank Taric is Flash, but only because of his lack of mobility.

For skills you want to sink your first point in Dazzle for the stun, pick either Shatter or Imbue second (Imbue if you need the healing, Shatter if you don't), and your last ability at level 3. Max Shatter first, though you can throw a second or third point into Imbue early if you really need the healing due to an aggressive enemy. After you have 5 points in Shatter, max Imbue and leave Dazzle for last.

For items you'll want to build a quick Philosopher's Stone and Heart of Gold to keep your gold income up without being able to farm. Since you're filling the support roles, a large chunk of your gold should be going toward buying wards. It's kind of annoying when you just want to build your items and be powerful, but that's just how it is, and it's very helpful to your team. Get Boots of Speed some time early as well, turn them into Mercury Treads if the enemy has much CC or is predominantly magic damage, turn them into Ninja Tabi if they lack CC and are mostly physical attackers. After that it's really all situational. If the enemy isn't doing a huge amount of damage early on, Aegis of the Legion is a great buy to help your allies stay alive in those first team fights. If the enemy has lots of physical damage or a quick auto-attacker or two, Frozen Heart is a great item for Taric due to the mana and CDR on it. Anything built out of a Negatron Cloak is nice versus scary AP enemies. Turning the Philo into a Shurelya's at some point is good, turning the HoG into a Randuin's versus strong AD or a Locket of the Iron Solari versus AP or poke teams is also a worthwhile investment. If you manage to get late enough into the game to need a 5th and 6th item, just build more defensive or utility items as you see fit.

Something you didn't mention is runes or masteries. For masteries, even though you want to be a tank, it's fine to go 21 in Utility for the gold and experience boosts. It's actually probably better than going 21 in Defense, cause you kind of need the gold and CDR and such from the Utility tree. For runes I would suggest going with armor or magic penetration marks, armor seals, scaling magic resist glyphs, and either gold generation or movement speed quints.

You play a tank Taric just like any other tank. You want to initiate the team fights, soak up damage/CC, and try to be annoying so the enemy team focuses you instead of your squishy allies. Run in, stun someone, ult and Shatter, then heal whoever needs it most. Whack people with your fabulous crystal hammer until abilities come off of cooldown, use them if the fight is still going. Prioritize your first stun on a squishy target your team can kill or force out of the fight to turn the tide in your favor, prioritize any later stuns on first protecting your damage dealers from anyone hitting them, or if the fight is pretty much over focus it on stunning a target chasing your team (if you lost) or that your team is chasing down (if you won). Your job is essentially to start the fight, pop your AoE damage, then be a stun and heal bot until it's over.

I think that pretty much covers it. Oh, be aware that if you have something like a Rammus jungler you can instead build a more AP or utility focused Taric. If your team lacks much tankiness, you definitely want to stick to this kind of hefty build. It's all situational.

TwistWrist

04-07-2012

Taric is not a tank. His stun is nice but that's all he has.

Not like him autoattacking lowers his stun's CD. So really, after his stun, there isn't much reason to focus him.

Even my support Taric ends up pretty tanky with just a 5 item build so I don't see much reason to stack too much defense on him and try to make him a tank.

BakkaKun

04-07-2012

I think tank taric isnt very good as a full tank,support tank taric is better in MY OPINION,build:mercury treads,Aeges of legion,shurelias reverie(I think thts the name) radiuns omen,and 2 situational items:it means depending on enemy team example:if they have someone that atacks fastly then get a frozen heart, if they have a lot of cc,get a banshee's veil.Hope this helped!

Jorick

04-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistWrist View Post
Taric is not a tank. His stun is nice but that's all he has.

Not like him autoattacking lowers his stun's CD. So really, after his stun, there isn't much reason to focus him.

Even my support Taric ends up pretty tanky with just a 5 item build so I don't see much reason to stack too much defense on him and try to make him a tank.
It depends on your definition of "tank" as it pertains to League of Legends. I see it as being defined by a champion being able to hard initiate fights and soak up a lot of damage/CC without dying. Taric does both of those.

Quote:
Originally Posted by uberballs View Post
I think tank taric isnt very good as a full tank,support tank taric is better in MY OPINION,build:mercury treads,Aeges of legion,shurelias reverie(I think thts the name) radiuns omen,and 2 situational items:it means depending on enemy team example:if they have someone that atacks fastly then get a frozen heart, if they have a lot of cc,get a banshee's veil.Hope this helped!
That build you proposed is pretty much tank Taric, heh. Tank boots, Shurelya's, Randuin's/Locket, Aegis, and two situational defensive items. The only other ways to build him logically would be AP or AD/AS/on-hit. So, honestly, support Taric IS tank Taric due to his inherent tankiness coupled with the items you build as a support being pretty tanky.

TwistWrist

04-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jorick View Post
It depends on your definition of "tank" as it pertains to League of Legends. I see it as being defined by a champion being able to hard initiate fights and soak up a lot of damage/CC without dying. Taric does both of those.
All that means is you are using a terrible definition of a tank.

Because I could build almost every mage in the game tanky and initiate about as well as Taric. Or better in many cases.

In fact, just use Ryze with a standard build. Same range on his point and click CC but no annoying travel time. Just as tanky really and with spell spammage, Ryze can actually use his CC more than Taric.

And really, there isn't any real reason to focus down pure tank Taric compared to normal Ryze. Ryze actually does decent damage while being tanky and using his CC more often. But pure tank Taric? Meh. Don't really have a reason to waste all that time on him.

Sadly, people think building a champ that the enemy shouldn't focus makes for a tank. That's not remotely true. A real tank can build pure defense but the enemy still has a reason to throw CC and damage at them. Pure tank Garen? Not that threatening outside of his ult. Pure tank Mundo? Not really too worried about him. Pure tank Alistar with max CDR? CC all over the place and will completely control the fight if you don't do something about him. Forces a "****ed if you do and ****ed if you don't" situation.

Tank in LoL is three requirements (I forgot who posted it first...maybe a Red):
1. Initiation.
2. Survivability (and honestly, this is the least important requirement since you just build survivability).
3. Peeling.

Taric can only do 1 or 3. Even with max CDR, he can't really fulfill both roles.

Jorick

04-07-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwistWrist View Post
Tank in LoL is three requirements (I forgot who posted it first...maybe a Red):
1. Initiation.
2. Survivability (and honestly, this is the least important requirement since you just build survivability).
3. Peeling.

Taric can only do 1 or 3. Even with max CDR, he can't really fulfill both roles.
And you, sir, are incorrect. Taric can do both 1 and 3, especially with max CDR. His Dazzle at max rank with max CDR drops down to a 6 second cooldown. Initiate the fight with a stun, run in and blow your AoE, and your stun will be back up in a few seconds if you need to peel someone off your carry.

A lot of his power is packed into auras, both on his Shatter and his Radiance, so he doesn't get quite so much CC as some other tanks. A lot of people underestimate him as a tank for this reason, but all it means is that the longer you leave him alive the more benefit he'll be giving to his team. He still fulfills the requirements of the job well enough to be able to tank. Sure, newer tanks like Nautilus, Leona, and Sejuani blow him out of the water with CC, with which comes both stronger initiation and stronger peeling, but that doesn't mean he isn't a tank too.

I'm not saying Taric is the best tank in the game. Far from it, I'm aware that he's lacking in quite a few areas compared to other tanks. But that doesn't mean he can't fill the role well enough to suit the title. If he's not a tank, what the heck is he? You initiate fights, you grab the enemy attention, and you protect your carries. That sounds like a tank to me.