Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Random helpful and experienced player here to help new players. Ask me stuff.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jorick

04-07-2012

Minor Updates: I'll try to check this thread a few times a day, but sometimes my schedule may not permit it. I promise I'll get around to answering your questions as soon as I can manage, and sorry for any excessive waits!

I've also created a chat channel in the League of Legends client, named New Player Help. I don't know how many people will actually join, but it may be worth checking out if you want some quick assistance. Whenever I'm on LoL I'll be in that chat room, and I'll be happy to help you out there as well. Friend requests also welcomed for poking me with questions, if you don't feel like joining the chat channel.

I've seen other threads like this get created and then get downvoted and die without anyone using them, but I figured I'd post this anyway. Maybe some people will use this one, or maybe they won't and I'll have wasted my time. Feel free to do the downvoting and leaving thing if you like, I'll live.

So here's the deal. I'm a randomly helpful guy and I'm pretty knowledgeable about League of Legends, and when I don't know something I usually know where to look to find the answer. I spend a lot of free time in the New Player Forum answering threads about a variety of topics, usually writing essay-length posts in response to even simple questions. I'm a wordy guy and I like explaining things thoroughly, so my posts get pretty long sometimes, but I think that's probably a benefit when trying to answer stuff for new players. I'm kind of rambling now, so I'll make an abrupt shift back on to the topic at hand.

Ask me stuff about League of Legends. I know all of the champions well enough to answer basic questions about them, I know some champions well enough to write huge guides on how to play them successfully. I play all roles, though AD carry is probably my worst (I still know a lot about them, just bad at turning that into in-game success!) and AP mid is probably my best. I know about items, I know about game mechanics, I even know the lore for all the champions. And if I don't know something, I can look around and find the answer or at least point you in the right direction to getting the information you desire.

I think that's enough of that. If I haven't driven you away with my horribly meandering trains of thought and total lack of smooth transitions between paragraphs, go ahead and ask me whatever.

Karrarin

04-07-2012

Urm, hi!
From what I read you're best with AP mid, and I guess Ryze qualified as an AP mid champ right?

Would you give me some pointers for ryze? It seems i haven't grasp the essence of playing him yet.
As for build I make sorcerer shoes, frozen heart, archangel and RoA. Am I building it right?

Thank you

Vetpath

04-07-2012

Okay...2 wordy questions for a wordy answerer (grammar police :0 ?),

First: Jungling. I tried a couple of times with Rammus, have watched videos, etc. but have issues with sustaining myself and killing minions. It seems to take too long. I was wondering how much masteries and runes are important with this. Should I alter masteries for a jungle character from their laning counter-part? Also, should I develop a rune page with a set of tier-3 runes specific for jungling?

Second: When playing bottom lane, assuming a typical AD ranged+ support on both sides, during the early phase is there a priority opponent that should be poked/harassed? i.e. their AD+sona/soraka type support (i read somewhere that the focus should be on the support) vs. AD+Alistar/Blitzcrank(etc).

As an aside, I have played the Ashe/Soraka combo with much success in early laning: Ashe spams Q+E against opponents while Soraka replaces mana....good times. You have a favorite bot lane combo?

Edit:Oh...just noticed you may not answer for 9 hours. Going to post this separately but still will look for your response.

Jorick

04-07-2012

Quote:
Karrarin:
Urm, hi!
From what I read you're best with AP mid, and I guess Ryze qualified as an AP mid champ right?

Would you give me some pointers for ryze? It seems i haven't grasp the essence of playing him yet.
As for build I make sorcerer shoes, frozen heart, archangel and RoA. Am I building it right?

Thank you

Ryze is a little bit of a special case where it comes to item builds. He's technically an AP mid, but he scales better off of building items for mana than AP. You seem to know this already due to your item choices. How I would suggest building him is to start with either Boots of Speed or a Sapphire Crystal, as well as a couple health potions to stay in lane. Your first three purchases should be Tear of the Goddess (this one first unless you desperately need more health/lane sustain), Catalyst the Protector (first for that sustain), and upgraded boots (Sorcerer's Shoes or Mercury Treads vs lots of CC). Leave the Tear of the Goddess sitting in your inventory without an upgrade until the very end, other items will benefit you more than the Archangel's Staff in the mid game. The Catalyst should usually be turned into a Banshee's Veil rather than a Rod of Ages because a large part of Ryze's power comes from how tanky he is versus other mages, so the MR makes him even better suited for fighting them. Glacial Shroud/Frozen Heart can be purchased before the BV if you feel you need the armor more than the MR at the moment, or get them next if you went with BV first.

Once you have your boots, Tear, BV, and FH you have Ryze's core build complete. After that every item you purchase is bonus power. You can get a Will of the Ancient for spellvamp to be even harder to kill. A Void Staff is a great purchase if the enemy team is building magic resist. Abyssal Scepter is good if you have other teammates who do magic damage and want to help them out with the aura, as well as boost your own MR and damage. Rylai's Crystal Scepter is a viable choice for the health and slow. If you're getting focused hard in team fights you can purchase a Quicksilver Sash to counter CC, or a Guardian Angel to be annoying. Rod of Ages is an okay item choice, but honestly you'd be better served using the item slot for a Void/Abyssal or a better defensive item. Finally, after you have 5 completed items, if the game is still going you want to turn your Tear in to an Archangel's. You only bother buying it then because your real item build is complete and you may as well do something with the extra gold you have, the AP isn't spectacular for Ryze but it'll help a little, so no reason not to upgrade the Tear when you have a completed build.

As for playing Ryze, he's all about the ability spam. During late game fights you want to alternate between casting Overload and you other abilities, because it's your main damage output and your passive plus your cooldown reduction from the Overload passive and Frozen Heart allows you to cast it so very often. You open up with a Q, then Rune Prison, Q again, Spell Flux, Q, Desperate Power, Q, W, Q, E, Q.... Your goal is to maximize how many times you smash their faces with your Q, so you cast other things in between the Q barrage. For early game fights and harass you can throw a Q, W, Q, E, Q combo at them. If you think they might run away before you can land the Rune Prison, it's fine to tag them with it first in a W, Q, E, Q combo. It's all about that Q spam. Speaking of which, skill point allocation: Q at level 1, W level 2, Q at 3, E at level 4, max Q first while putting points in your ultimate when you can, max W second, leave E at 1 point until last.

Aside from that, one last tip I can think of. If you don't do this already, you should try playing Ryze with smartcasting enabled. Instead of having to hit your ability then click on the target, it allows you to hold your mouse over them and just hit the key for you ability and it casts. It helps a lot. You can totally play him without smartcasting if you don't like it, but it's truly worth the effort to learn it and get used to it if you want to play Ryze to maximum effectiveness.

And now, on to the next question.

Quote:
Vetpath:
Okay...2 wordy questions for a wordy answerer (grammar police :0 ?),

First: Jungling. I tried a couple of times with Rammus, have watched videos, etc. but have issues with sustaining myself and killing minions. It seems to take too long. I was wondering how much masteries and runes are important with this. Should I alter masteries for a jungle character from their laning counter-part? Also, should I develop a rune page with a set of tier-3 runes specific for jungling?

Second: When playing bottom lane, assuming a typical AD ranged+ support on both sides, during the early phase is there a priority opponent that should be poked/harassed? i.e. their AD+sona/soraka type support (i read somewhere that the focus should be on the support) vs. AD+Alistar/Blitzcrank(etc).

As an aside, I have played the Ashe/Soraka combo with much success in early laning: Ashe spams Q+E against opponents while Soraka replaces mana....good times. You have a favorite bot lane combo?

Edit:Oh...just noticed you may not answer for 9 hours. Going to post this separately but still will look for your response.

Masteries and runes are a huge part of how effective a jungler can be. Some champions can do it without any special runes or masteries, like Lee Sin or Udyr, but Rammus is not one of them. I don't know what laning masteries you use for Rammus, but most junglers do require something that you usually won't want in a lane. In the Defense tree there are a couple anti-minion masteries, to reduce their incoming damage and reflect damage back at them; those are two you want on any tanky jungler like Rammus. Aside from that, I believe jungle Rammus usually puts most points into Defense with the other points put either into mana masteries in Utility or damage stuff in Offense. For runes you'll definitely want a special jungling page. Armor seals are a must have for most junglers, scaling MR glyphs are the most popular choice currently for transition into team fights, but you could go with armor or attack speed here if you want to sacrifice later power for jungling speed/safety. If you're talking about runes just for Rammus, I would suggest armor quints and either armor penetration or attack speed marks. For junglers in general, attack speed marks are wanted by most of them and armor quints are a little excessive, but the ArPen and armor are still worth something on all of them.

Oh, about clearing speed and sustain with Rammus... A lot of that has to do with starting choices as well as the masteries and runes you bring. If you get good masteries and runes, here's the best way to get through the jungle. Take Smite and something else for summoner spells, Flash being a decent option. Start by buying a Cloth Armor and 5 health potions. If you don't do this already, you'll want to get your Defensive Ball Curl at level 1 rather than your Powerball. It costs less mana, boosts your defense, and does more damage than the Powerball to a jungle camp. You also want to get a little bit of assistance to start your jungling if you can. Start at wolves, getting allies to do a little damage on them for you without killing them or stealing your experience. Then get a leash on blue by having your mid lane person attack it from behind the wall, then after they attack it you start punching it while it's walking; once its attention turns back to you, use the Ball Curl and drink a potion. Smite it when it gets low enough for it to be the killing blow, which I believe is 445 health when you're level 1. Get Powerball at level 2, head toward wraiths and use it when you're close enough that you'll be able to hit them with it. Ball Curl, kill, head back to wolves the same way. Get whatever skill you feel like at level 3. Head to red buff in the same fashion as before, chug a potion on the way if you're not too close to max health, beat it up and Smite. Then kill little golems for level 4, and get your Taunt now if you haven't already. Ganking time!

I don't know what you were using before, but the Smite, potions, armor, and Ball Curl early on are all very important to Rammus being able to clear the jungle without almost dying. If you weren't using this setup before, you might be able to do fine with it and proper masteries without getting the particular runes needed, though those will definitely speed things up and make you safer in clearing.

For bottom lane, you basically want to harass whoever is the least tanky, whoever you're most likely to push out of lane or kill. If they have a Sona/Soraka/Janna/etc. support, it's probably going to be the support. If they have a Taric/Alistar/Blitzcrank/etc. support, it's probably going to be the carry. However, oftentimes you can't safely get to your preferred target. You basically want to harass whoever you can, whenever you can, as long as you're not missing minion last hits to do so. Oh, and don't leave yourself too open to counterattacks if you can manage. If they have a Taric camping in a bush, you probably don't want to take the risk of running up there to take a cheap shot at the enemy carry; odds are good that you'll just get stunned and take more damage than you give. The key point is to never take unnecessary damage. Getting hit twice for hitting an enemy once counts as unnecessary damage. Playing it safe is your best option for bottom lane, since you don't want to get killed and let the enemy team get way ahead of you.

Ashe and Soraka is a pretty neat combo, yeah. My favorite lane buddies for Soraka are Graves and Sivir though, they can do pretty crazy damage with the extra mana. My #1 favorite combo for bottom lane would have to be Taric and Caitlyn. Taric's stun with Caitlyn's trap put under their feet equals a total 3 seconds of the enemy being stuck in place. Caitlyn has a pretty strong early game due to her range, and pairing her with Taric makes it even stronger due to his Shatter passive giving her armor and the Shatter active shredding enemy armor for her. It takes some coordination, with the best use of the lane being with someone you're on Skype/Ventrilo/etc. with to coordinate the stun+trap combo, but it works decently in solo queue too.

bobmuffinman

04-08-2012

Ok, I may as well make use of this while it's here :P

Recently I've been getting into jungle shyvana, well just shyvana in general and was wondering 2 things.
1. Do you play her top or jungle and why?
2. How do you build her and why? (also you can leave out the situational boots part, pretty comfortable with that :P)
Thanks in advance
-Bobmuffinman

Vetpath

04-08-2012

Thanks for such a thorough response. I definitely appreciate people who take time out of their busy lives and answer questions with detail. Happy Easter.

Jorick

04-08-2012

Quote:
bobmuffinman:
Ok, I may as well make use of this while it's here :P

Recently I've been getting into jungle shyvana, well just shyvana in general and was wondering 2 things.
1. Do you play her top or jungle and why?
2. How do you build her and why? (also you can leave out the situational boots part, pretty comfortable with that :P)
Thanks in advance
-Bobmuffinman

1. Personally, I like her more as a jungle pick. I've only taken her top a couple times but have jungled her a lot. I'm kind of bad at laning with a lot of melees, because I tend to overestimate my early game strength and end up sucking and dying and losing my lane. So my own preference is more about my weaknesses as a player rather than any actual power or anything of Shyvana. I've definitely seen her played well as a top.

2. I like to start her with Boots of Speed and 3 potions, to boost jungle speed and make invasions a little safer. With 21/9/0 masteries and flat armor seals she's fully capable of wrecking the jungle without the safer Cloth Armor and 5 potions start. My first few purchases are almost always Wriggle's Lantern, Wit's End, and a Heart of Gold. If they have almost no AD champions I'll often skip the Heart of Gold, since I won't need the Randuin's from it later. After that I'll grab a Phage, then a Giant's Belt and turn it into a Frozen Mallet. Next purchase is usually Atma's Impaler, but sometimes I'll build Randuin's first, like if we're absolutely melting them and I don't need the damage. If the game goes long enough I'll sell my Wriggle's for a Bloodthirster.

But, as always, be situational about it. If they have super scary AP, maybe you'll want to replace the Atma's with a heavy MR item. If they're chewing through your health with AD, rush the Randuin's. If you get to the end game and want more defense, sell the Wriggle's for a defense item instead of a Bloodthirster. If your other teammates are really tanky, you can afford to build more damage, if they're all squishy you want to be tanky. Jungler builds are almost always about the situational stuff.

Quote:
Vetpath:
Thanks for such a thorough response. I definitely appreciate people who take time out of their busy lives and answer questions with detail. Happy Easter.

No problem, happy to help.

Tho76

04-08-2012

I'll pop in here every once in a while too, to see if I can give some answers =)

Good to see that you made this post.

My question is this:
If you cannot get to the AD Carry in a Teamfight for some reason, who should your next target be? The Tanky DPS, Jungler, or AP Carry? And on top of that, what if the AP is Morde or Ahri, someone that is hard to kill.

Costakid

04-08-2012

Hey Jorrick, I'm here to help you out if you want any. Possibly give more in-game help rather than posting on a thread. I will be in game if anyone wants any help. My in game name is costakid and I'm always willing to help people out. I'm hoping that me and Jorick can organize something that will make things easier for you players that need assistance. Possibly, a voice chat channel

Karrarin

04-08-2012

Happy Easter!!! :3
Thank you for the help on ryze's build! Tried them for 2 AI games and the result was good (dunno, maybe i'm in luck since its just AI game >_&lt.

Maybe this can be considered a question...
During one of the 2 AI games, I go to mid, and encountered fiddlestick and ziggs, which both can deals lots of damage (one by fear+drain, one with bombs) where as ryze have a low hp amount early on (just 4 bars). Eventhough I tried to to play safe, I got outlaned by those two pretty quickly. So can I get tips on how to outlane them?

Sorry if I asked too many questions >_<, and thank you