Well rounded solo Normal champs?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xunatos

08-06-2010

I've been playing for a few weeks now, level 23, super enjoying the game. I like that I can learn different champs, it helps my severe alt-addiction (6 level 80 WoW chars), this game fits me like a glove.

So anyhow, I feel I'm a fairly decent player. Only time I ever fed (after first 5 games of being a newb) was with Xin Zhao, I just got way too aggressive against very strong counter opponents, didn't know his limits yet. I can play dps chars ok, I am above average with support, and tank, and I play a pretty mean Warwick jungle til 6, with ganking.

I'd like to know who people would recommend for a few good all around "I have no clue what my teammates are going to be like, but I'd like to win" champions are.

I'm open to anything!

LordEdge19

08-06-2010

I strongly advise getting a strong tank first.Not a lot of people like to play tank in solo queue so you might have to take a bullet for the team.Amumu is an incredible choice since you got a whole lot of CC to make up for your team mistake.

Then you get a ranged carry, Ashe or Ezreal.If you're team already have a tank and are confident in your ability, carry your team to victory!

oh god please no

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2010

shaco

Haestro

08-06-2010

Well i would suggest Nasus. He is pretty cheap, brings a very nice slow to the team, and scales superbly. (Nothing like 1v5'ing their team 50 minutes in). At the same time, you do need some sort of help from your teammates to do well with him :P

Xunatos

08-06-2010

@LordEdge19

Actually, I already have Amumu, and he is probably my best champ that I play lol. He gets a bit bland for me sometimes though, as I basically don't do a whole lot while ultimate is on CD. Ultimate up and good timing usually means we win every team fight, its almost a 100% thing if used with good timing. But outside of that, I'm more of an annoyance and occasional save with Bandage Toss but often it gets you in trouble.

As far as tanks go, Amumu is a bit squishy seeing as how he has no survival skills (Tantrum is terrible after level... ok its always terrible for survival) so I can't really go around harassing people all that much in late game. But like I said, when ultimate is ready, he is very fun and powerful. Sometimes I do set up the occasional gank with the bandage toss through the trees, which is pretty cool.

But honestly, I feel that he is a crapshoot sometimes in solo normal. I start crying, get into the pack of enemies, tantrum to get people to pay attention to me, then ult when it either stops bad spells from going off, stops a bunch of runners/chasers, or I can get 4-5 people inside it. The problem occurs when I do get a good ultimate off on people, and its perfectly set up for us to destroy them, my teammates are either running away or standing around or bashing on the tank for no good reason.

His ultimate is godlike with good teammates and just gets you killed horribly with bad ones.

But I do suppose this is true of most champs, but I digress.

And @ Squishy, I'm not buying a champ that is banned in ranked games, as I do wish to play Ranked and do well, so learning a champ that I won't be able to use 90% of the time seems like a waste of IP, but thanks though.

Xunatos

08-06-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haestro View Post
Well i would suggest Nasus.
You know, I did have a lot of fun with him when he was free and I keep getting tempted to buy him, maybe I will look into this more. Thanks!

TFFoS

08-06-2010

These guys all suggest carries. They are wrong.
In normal games in the random queue, support characters are god. When I started out, I'd play carries and get good k/d ratios, but lose 75% of my games.
One week blitzcrank rotated in. I got good with his skillshot, and I started winning about 70% of my games.
Later, I picked up soraka. With her I've won 90% of my games.
Lately I've been trying out new character's though, and the same pattern applies. In solo queue, no matter how well I play a carry or dps, I only win about 50% of the time at most, but when I play a support character, I win much more often.

Trends I've noticed (At level 23):
Teams with heimer tend to win much more often.
Teams with Taric tend to win much more often.
Teams with Soraka tend to win much more often.
Teams with a *good* amumu that jungles properly win a bit more often (unless faced by an anti-jungler).
Teams with a *good* Ezrael win slightly more often.
Teams with Xin tend to win slightly more often.
Teams with Pantheon seem to almost always lose.
Noone ever plays Sivir (for some reason)

Xunatos

08-06-2010

Awesome! Yeah I do have Soraka, she is a winning machine. She was actually my first purchase =) There is a reason she is banned a lot lol. Just lane with a good carry and make them win the game for you.

I played Taric a LOT when he was free and I love him. But I was using my autoattack to keep mana going for heal spam, but now that I have learned that autoattacking minions early = bad I am a bit worried about my effectiveness with him, but he is still super great. Hard to kill, brings a lot to a team, and has a stun. Like Soraka but less healing, more tanking. I do love Soraka's ability to keep the team's mana up for neverending pushes.

I think Taric may be my next purchase!

Niton

08-06-2010

There's not actually anything wrong with meleeing minions in-lane in itself, it's just advice given to new players. If you watch a lot of top players lane, you'll see them whittling down other minions while waiting for one to be killable. As long as everything's still getting last-hit, you can melee as much as you want. Make sure you stop attacking things below 40% or so until they're in kill range and there's no problem with getting as much mana as you can.

Beverak

08-06-2010

I think tanky support killers are pretty good solo queue.

These would include in no particular order: Garen, Mundo, Nasus, Sion, Gragas. I'm sure there are others but those come to mind. The lack of squishieness can help you survive if you find your team unable to call out ganks or properly engage, yet they can still kill if your team turns out to be sucky at killing. They also are either good at chasing or initiating.

What I find hard about solo queue is generally it's not always the same problem every game. You go tank cuz you think your team needs a good tank, uh oh turns out your dps champs suck hard and you simply can't do enough damage to their team. You go a healer champ only to learn your teammates can't protect you from focus fire or you are forced out so early yout teammates get creamed. You go dps only to learn that Shen over there maxed his personal shield first and is the worst taunter in history.

Since you can't ever be 100% sure what you'll be mising, picking someone who can fill multiple niches might help overcome this handicap. Then again you should probably listent o the highest solo que rankers and not me.