Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Uncle Motajo's Guide to Disables

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Motajo

04-06-2012

Intro

Hey kids(or whatever age you are)! To elaborate on the title, this is about all those pesky disables in League of Legends. I didn't see anything like this after a glance over this forum page, so here we go! Disables are afflictions that hinder your battle performance in some way other than damage. Some disables are small and somewhat negligible, and some will sodomize you with a lit torch if executed properly. Now, onto the show!

The Disable Table

Disables are also commonly referred to as CC (Crowd Control). There is Soft and Hard CC. The line between them is up for some debate, but Hard CC is generally more dangerous for the recipient. Silencing a ranged carry won't do TOO much depending on the situation, just like blinding a caster does all of squat.

Tenacity reduces the duration of many disables. I will note where it doesn't.

Slow
Slows are very common, and even come as icing on the cake of a few items. Slows are just that; they will lower either your movement speed or attack speed, occasionally both. They are measured in percent, and are generally multiplicative. http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Movement_Speed should help with this.

Snare
Sometimes also called a root, snares halt movement speed all together. They also prevent you from using abilities to move yourself (Flash, Arcane Shift, Shadow Dash, etc.). You can still auto-attack and use most abilities and summoner spells. Most of these are skill shots, which require aiming.

Silence
Darth Vader shuts you up with the Force. Silences prevent you from using abilities and summoner spells. You can still move and auto-attack.

Stun
Don't taze me, bro. Stuns prevent all action but some summoner spells. A double-check is needed on the summoner spell part.

Fear
Whilst soiling yourself, you wander randomly for the duration at a walking pace. Yeah, that makes sense, being scared for your life and not sprinting away. Fear stops all actions except the summoner spell Cleanse and things like it.

Charm
The exact same as fear, but instead of **** in your pants, it's your elongated man-pride. You move slowly toward the caster. It's Fear with a destination. (Oddly, the only charm in the game says taunted when you get hit)

Taunt
The caster calls you an ├║ber-├▒ooblord-foreigner-bad. When taunted, you are forced to attempt to auto-attack the caster. If the taunter goes out of sight, the taunted follows. Permits no other action but Cleanse and its clones.

Knock Up
Don't worry girls, there isn't a sudden ten pounds added to your uterus. The name is quite literal. Knock-ups make you airborne, preventing any action. Well, you COULD Cleanse, but you'd still be flying. This is unaffected by Tenacity.

Knock-Back
Pregnancy's twin terror. These are very similar. Knock-backs make you airborne for less time, but make up for it by shoving you away. Tenacity is a lead balloon here as well.

Blind
Trained dogs are recommended when fighting Teemo. Blinds stop auto-attacks from hitting. You still attempt them, but you may as well be a drunk four-year-old. Spells and skill shots can still hit.

Polymorph
Turning warriors into something furrier since whenever the hell the concept was made up. In LoL, it slows movement and prevents attacks and spells. Only one of these is in the game at the moment.

Suppress
The super press. This holds you down with chain and handcuffs and chokes you with a used sock. You can do nothing but hope that a Quicksilver Sash was in style last time you were at the mall. The upside is the suppressor is generally as immobile as you when performing it.

Semi-Disables

These are either debatable or just fit in the "other" section anyways.

Pacify
The caster sticks a plastic nipple in your mouth and lulls you to sleep. Actually, you just can't attempt auto-attacks. This disable isn't ever by itself, so I just call it pacify. Who knows, some champ may have one some day. Amumu's ultimate is a snare that pacifies, for one example.

Displacement
Takes whales out of water. It's what it sounds like: it moves you. Displacements (like Pacify) are always coupled with another disable (any knock-back, Rocket Grab stuns for a split second, etc.).

Weaken
If only you had impotence medicine. This really isn't a named thing. Few abilities have this. It, as it says, weakens you: lower attack damage, damage dealt, etc. I'd call Exhaust a weaken.

Grievous Wound
It's only a flesh wound! This annoying debuff negates half of all healing and health regeneration received. This makes it on my list because cutting healing definitely hinders your fighting.

Outro
Feel free to post with questions, comments, and large brownies. If I've made an error, withhold the brownies and tell me. I'll fix those when I get around to them.

Edit: Added link to Slows section, cleared up Cleanse with Suppresses

Kirielis

04-06-2012

I would classify displacement and knockback under reposition, and then add fling to that as well if it wasn't already covered.

Root and Snare are actually different, I believe - the difference is in the Pacify part. Never was sure which was which, or whose abilities got what. Clarification would be nice.

Cleanse works on suppress. I prefer QSS, but whatever.

Kuryaka

04-06-2012

Cleanse does not work on suppresses. This is intentional. It's designed to block EVERYTHING besides item counters - you can't really counterpick so much as counterbuy. QSS is the only thing that works.
Wiki says so, and general consensus is that suppresses block summoner spells. Haven't actually tested it, as it's tricky to get a suppress + someone willing to get Cleanse.

Also, don't forget the flings and drags from Singed, Volibear, Orianna, and Blitz. These are arguably the most dangerous, as the champion is throwing you toward their team.
Er... is that what you're going for with Displacement? If so, I would say it is a full disable. Scary stuff, and while it doesn't stop you, it moves you in a direction you don't want.

Knockbacks, on the other hand, are very tricky to land, and stupid players often shoot enemies to safety. If your angle is off (or the target blinks somewhere) they'll get launched in another direction.

I think Maokai's "root" is the only root, which is renamed cos he's a tree. Snares are Cait's trap and Ryze's Rune Prison. Neither of these stop autoattacks. Amumu ult does though - however, it doesn't block spells.

TwistWrist

04-06-2012

I can understand his reasoning though. Flings/Grabs don't disable the champ really. It just puts them around a bunch of very hungry enemies. Though in that case, I would stick knock-back with them.

LancerXXX

04-07-2012

Aren't the 2nd slows and all after that applied at 65% or something? So it wouldn't be 56% speed, it would be around 66%.

Edit: http://leagueoflegends.wikia.com/wiki/Movement_Speed

Motajo

04-07-2012

Quote:
Aren't the 2nd slows and all after that applied at 65% or something? So it wouldn't be 56% speed, it would be around 66%.

Thanks for this, I'll fix it accordingly.

Quote:
Also, don't forget the flings and drags from Singed, Volibear, Orianna, and Blitz. These are arguably the most dangerous, as the champion is throwing you toward their team.
Er... is that what you're going for with Displacement? If so, I would say it is a full disable. Scary stuff, and while it doesn't stop you, it moves you in a direction you don't want.

These really just do the same thing as knock-backs, you're just more so thrown than knocked I guess,

Also, displacements are never JUST displacements. I differentiate displacement and knock-backs because not all displacements are knock-backs. Example, as far as I know, Blitz's grab doesn't make you airborne when being pulled, and it (for me at least) says you are stunned for a split second right as you "land" by him. It really could be argued either way.

Quote:
Cleanse does not work on suppresses

Noted. But with Cleanse removing more stuff recently, I wanted to be sure.

Quote:
Root and Snare are actually different, I believe - the difference is in the Pacify part. Never was sure which was which, or whose abilities got what. Clarification would be nice.

I say root and snare are pretty much interchangeable because I don't think anything actually says ROOTED when you're hit by one. In your case, it should say ROOTED when Amumu ults you instead of SNARED. But yeah, clarification from a more official source would be nice.

Thanks for the input people. I'll fix what I can, and maybe new players will see this and be less confused about the some of the intricacies. Once again, I call a disable any debuff that hinders your ability to fight.

Jurgrady

04-07-2012

Charm is not like fear, fear send you going in a random direction, but charm forces you to walk towards the caster (Ahri is the only one with a charm ability) and is more like a Taunt then a fear, with the exception that it doesn't force you to attack, but actually makes you unable to attack, and has a slow component as well. (Fear may have a slow not too sure.)

Motajo

04-07-2012

Quote:
Charm is not like fear, fear send you going in a random direction, but charm forces you to walk towards the caster (Ahri is the only one with a charm ability) and is more like a Taunt then a fear, with the exception that it doesn't force you to attack, but actually makes you unable to attack, and has a slow component as well. (Fear may have a slow not too sure.)

I explained this. Look a bit closer

IlexAlderwood

04-08-2012

Very helpful, thank you. I play Fizz (who I feel is somewhat vulnerable to a lot of disables) and this helped me figure out who I could rush in on and who to be more careful around.

November Anon

04-08-2012

Sweet guide. Shame I don't play anymore, but awesome nevertheless to see all the possible CC combos in the game.