Tell me your thoughts (don't forget to post)

I love it! 10 47.62%
Not bad, could use some tweaks though 6 28.57%
Not really for me 5 23.81%
Voters: 21. You may not vote on this poll

Champion Concept 4: Fawkes, the Mask of Tranquility

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Draginath

04-06-2012

Had this guy in my collection for a while and it looks like Fiora took the fencing theme. However, I think that he's more than unique. When I put him together, I wanted another champ that required some sort of premeditation, akin to Shaco and Twisted Fate. I wanted to create a system that rewarded players who were thinking multiple steps ahead as well as being able to think on their feet. So, here he is!

Last Time: Gepetto, The Puppetmaster: http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=1862432

4. Adrian Fawkes, the Mask of Tranquility ******UPDATE! 09/12/12******

Overview:

Fawkes is a melee fighter that utilizes a new combo system called Vendetta that focuses on making a series of calculated decision as well as executing offensive and defensive maneuvers.

Role: Fighter, Assassin, Melee

Quote:
Resource: Vendetta

Vendetta appears as a set of 4 violet colored bars where a mana bar would normally be. On ability use, Fawkes generates a charge of Vendetta. At 4 charges, Fawkes’ next ability will become empowered, granting a bonus effect and consuming the stacks. This empowered ability, while it consumes the stacks, will still generate its own stack of vendetta. After being out of combat for 7 seconds, Fawkes will lose one Vendetta charge every 3 seconds.
Stats:

Difficulty: Hard
Health: 1850
Mana: 0
Movement: 325
Armor: 85
Magic Resist: 52

Look:

Fawkes is dressed to look like a phantom. He wears a sleek white jumpsuit, with black accents. He wears silver gauntlets and greaves. A single, silver pauldron is on his left should with a long piece of black cloth draped from it. He has long, silver hair and wears a very ominous, eclipse- themed mask. In addition to his long, slender rapier, Fawkes is surrounded by some animated, floating daggers.

NOTE: I'm still thinking through which of his looks I like better. We'll stick with this one for now.

Some references: Think “V for Vendetta” meets “White Magical Hat” meets “Three Musketeers"

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/193/fencer.jpg/

Abilities:

Quote:
Twin Strike (Passive): Fawkes unleashes a vicious two-strike combo every basic attack, dealing 50% of his attack damage on the second swing and applying on-hit effects on both swings. Twin Strike’s second swing damage is reduced by 25% for each successive hit against the same target. This resets if not used for 2 seconds. Every third Twin Strike generates a charge of Vendetta.
This was the first ability I came up with when I thought of this champ. It's pretty straight forward, Fawkes attacks twice every basic attack. Be wary of the debuff tacked onto it as it can stack such that the second strike deals 0 damage.

Quote:
Flourish (Q): Fawkes finishes his combo with a flourishing of his rapier, dealing 30/60/90/120/150 (+1 per bonus attack damage) additional physical damage on his next attack. Flourish deals 150% additional damage if used after Twin Strike.

Vendetta Effect: Stuns the target for 1 second and causes them to bleed, taking 40/80/120/160/200 (+0.6 per bonus attack damage) magic damage each second for 3 seconds.
[10/9/8/7/6 second cooldown]
Quote:
Flourish (Draft Two): Fawkes finishes his combo with a flourishing of his rapier, dealing 30/60/90/120/150 (+1 per bonus attack damage) additional physical damage on his next attack. Flourish deals 150% additional damage if used after Twin Strike.

Vendetta Effect: Roots the target for 1 second and causes them to bleed, taking 30/60/90/120/180 (+0.6 per bonus attack damage) magic damage each second for 3 seconds.
[10/9/8/7/6 second cooldown]
UPDATE: I removed the stun because I didn't really think it fit in the champion theme. A champ that is all about timing having a stun on their main ability (coupled with a powerful bleed) isn't very balanced, especially with the other reworks to his skills.

Quote:
Riposte (W): Summons 4 dancing blades to serve Fawkes. Each blade will attack nearby enemy units (prioritizing champions) once every 8 seconds, dealing 20/35/50/65/80 (+0.6 per bonus attack damage) physical damage.. These blades will attack once every 3 seconds in the presence of enemy champions. Blades cannot strike the same target more than 3 times every attacking period.

(Active): Fawkes calls his blades to defend him, each deflecting an attack made or ability used against Fawkes within the next 3 seconds. Riposte can be used while disabled. Passive component of Riposte is disabled while this ability is on cooldown.

Vendetta Effect: Fawkes’ blades punish his foes. Each blade will reflect one attack or ability, dealing 50% of the damage and applying any harmful effects to attackers.
[20 second cooldown, 800 range (passive effect)]
Quote:
Dancing Blades/Parry (Draft Two): Summons 4 dancing blades to serve Fawkes. Each blade will attack nearby enemy units (prioritizing champions) once every 8 seconds, dealing 20/35/50/65/80 (+0.6 per bonus attack damage) physical damage.. These blades will attack once every 3 seconds in the presence of enemy champions. Blades cannot strike the same target more than 3 times every attacking period.

Parry (Active): Fawkes calls his blades to his defense, deflecting the next enemy attack or ability used against him within 1 sec. Dancing Blades is disabled while this ability is on cooldown.

Vendetta Effect: Fawkes’ blades punish his foes. A successful Parry will reflect 50% of any damage as well as any harmful effects back at the attacker.
[6 second cooldown, 800 range (passive effect)]
UPDATE: A new active that I modified from one of my upcoming Champion concepts. I really like the idea of Fawkes actively choosing between offense and defense so reducing the amount he can block while reducing the CD was a good way to go. The duration of parry is short enough that timing and premeditation will benefit the player.

Quote:
Nightfall (E): Fawkes dashes to target. If the target is an enemy, deals 70/120/170/220/270 (+70% of ability power) magic damage and healing Fawkes for 25% of the damage dealt.

Vendetta Effect: Nightfall’s Range is increased and its cooldown is reduced to 3 seconds. [9 second cooldown, 700 range, 975 range (Vendetta)]
Quote:
Nightfall (Draft Two): Fawkes dashes to target location and sweeps his rapier, deals 70/120/170/220/270 (+70% of ability power) magic damage and healing Fawkes for 25% of the damage dealt.

Vendetta Effect: Nightfall’s Range is increased and its cooldown is reduced to 3 seconds. [9 second cooldown, 700 range, 975 range (Vendetta)]
UPDATE: I altered the ability to be a skill shot to not only balance the ability but play to his ultimate. I think the skill shot component will all players to take more advantage of the reduced vision of Fawkes, now able to dash in and out of enemy vision. Fitting for a masked vigilante, no?

Quote:
Masquerade (Ultimate): Fawkes shrouds himself in shadows, increasing his armor and magic resistance and reducing enemy vision of him for 10 seconds. During this time, Fawkes will not generate Vendetta stacks but his abilities will act as if he had 4 stacks of Vendetta. [120 second cooldown, requires 4 stacks of Vendetta to use]
Love his ultimate. It gives him dueling capabilities and gives him control of his vendetta for a brief amount of time. The reduced vision is cool in that it's a reverse nocturne ability. Unless he's in melee range, enemies will not see Fawkes. That has a varied of uses on for the more creative players.

Quips:

Upon Selection: “Beneath this mask is more than just flesh”
Taunt: “Make no mistake, you’re about to die…”
Joke(s): ....
Movement: “Remember, remember…” “The only verdict is vengeance.” “My turn…” "So predictable..." "Tranquility" “You’ve left yourself open..”

Playing Against him:

Match wit with wit: Fawkes is all about calculated spell combinations. Understanding these calculations and preparing counter measures against his combos can help you keep an edge on his dueling skills

Be careful during Masquerade. With such limited vision of Fawkes, it can be easy to play into his hands. Always let him come to you.

Fawkes’ escape abilities are very situational. Take advantage of this.

Mechanics Overview:

Like any fencer, Fawkes is all about making calculated decisions and finding a balance between offense and defense. Vendetta is the main engine in finding this balance. Fawkes has many ways of getting 4 stacks of Vendetta and it all depends on how well the player uses abilities in succession. Skilled players will be able to end their combos such that they empower a specific ability by the end of the sequence.

Twin Strike is designed such that stacking attack speed can actually hurt damage output. Fawkes' damage will diminish if he repeatedly lays into an opponent with Twin Strike. However, weaving Twin Strikes in while performing combos will significantly increase damage output. Don't forget that Twin Strike grants a charge of Vendetta after being performed 3 times, so focusing a target with just auto-attacks is sometimes a smart play, even at the cost of max damage potential.

Masquerade is designed to not only give Fawkes dueling capabilities, but give him a little more control over his Vendetta in situations that cannot be calculated so easily (i.e. a team fight). However, a player who is calculated can use this ability to really push Fawkes over the edge in terms of survival, damage and versatility.

Quote:
Lore: COMING SOON!

Follows the story of Adrian Fawkes, a former ambassador of Noxus who went rogue after meeting Gepetto and Henry (see my other concepts). Upon seeing the horrors that both nations are capable of, Adrian dons a mask masquerades as a phantom, seeking to end not only their war but wars across Valoran.
Alright folks, that's it. I hope you enjoyed him. Tell me your thoughts, I'll be sure to finish up the post a little later.

UP NEXT: Curio, the Stars' Fury- Ever wonder about the source of Kayle and Morgana's vicious rivalry? This kind-hearted angel of apocalypse joins the league, hoping to bring his girls home.

Check out my other concepts:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...5#post32018055

Morec0

04-06-2012

Very interesting, and I agree that I love the resource system you developed for him. I only have one question; about Riposte, are the summoned blades the passive effect or does the ability need to be used twice to have the blades deffend him?

The passive is also inspired in that it actually requires him to break away from combat temporarily, something we havn't seen yet with any champions.

I was going to write something about his ult being lackluster untill I realize the combo; Fawkes sneaks up into range of his target while invisible, E's to them, opens up with Q as many times as possible and uses W as nessescary.

Here's an idea for a joke: "Viciously victimizing the villainous variety of vermin with valorous vivisection of their vivacious venality."

For those who don't get it; it's a gross overuse of alliteration (also, it's another refference to V for Vendetta, specifically his introduction).

Looking forward to this next character, and of course the finished lore of this one.

---

a humble request; if you ever see fit and have the time take a gander as my own champion creations:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...hlight=trivium (links to all previous are obvious)

Draginath

04-08-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morec0 View Post
Very interesting, and I agree that I love the resource system you developed for him. I only have one question; about Riposte, are the summoned blades the passive effect or does the ability need to be used twice to have the blades deffend him?

The passive is also inspired in that it actually requires him to break away from combat temporarily, something we havn't seen yet with any champions.

I was going to write something about his ult being lackluster untill I realize the combo; Fawkes sneaks up into range of his target while invisible, E's to them, opens up with Q as many times as possible and uses W as nessescary.

Here's an idea for a joke: "Viciously victimizing the villainous variety of vermin with valorous vivisection of their vivacious venality."

For those who don't get it; it's a gross overuse of alliteration (also, it's another refference to V for Vendetta, specifically his introduction).

Looking forward to this next character, and of course the finished lore of this one.

---

a humble request; if you ever see fit and have the time take a gander as my own champion creations:
http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/...hlight=trivium (links to all previous are obvious)
Thanks for the critique.

Riposte (probably gonna rename it) is a little confusing, but the blades are a passive effect similar to Lulu's passive. Every 8 seconds (3 seconds when champions are near) each of the 4 blades will attack a random target. They can it the same target if the situation calls for it. Activating the ability puts the blades in "defense mode" causing the passive component to deactivate until the cooldown refreshes.

You were right in initially thinking Masquerade was lackluster, but that is kinda the intention. As a stand alone ability, it's kinda meh, but in conjunction with his other 4 abilities, it can push Fawkes over the edge. Being able to freely use those vendetta effects with the defenses via the pseudo-stealth and resistances makes him a for real duelist.

I like the joke idea. I had considered using that reference but I was trying not to go too overboard, but then again, this champ is heavily inspired by V so that's to be expected.

dPolly

04-09-2012

Magnificent.

Draginath

04-09-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dPolly View Post
Magnificent.
Thank you

dPolly

04-10-2012

*Polly comes back to the post to make a more detailed review.

This champion piqued my interest, but I had no time to comment on detail. The first thing that interested me was his name, the second thing was his concept. God, the 16th century was a time of cool names, clothing and weapons.

But enough presentation. Let's move to the most important part, that of reviewing the skills:

The passive is... Oh, my, it's glorious. It's the essense of being a badass swordman who cuts his enemies without mercy countless times, and it's perfectly balanced. It is a great source of damage, but you must know when to strike, should you spend too much time fighting, your damage would be greatly reduced; Should you run from the enemy, you would lose your vendetta stacks. Me likes, a lot.

His Q does a similar thing: Great damage if your timing is good. I like those champions whose gameplay strategies greatly reward player skill. I do have a question, though: Does Flourish reset the autoattack cooldown (Like Trundle's Rabid Bite) ?

Overrall, I like the idea of it's W, but I think that the concept can be reworked a little. Maybe if he sent shadow-copies of himself to attack the enemy? Passive gives you an aura that looks like a cloud of smoke. Enemy gets near, "PUF!" a ghost hits them in the face. Just an idea.

Ah, good ol' gap closers. His E is fine, and the cooldown reduction effect is good since it allows you to escape a fight (Or pursue the enemy) after a well-planned combo. It would also be an agent of terror during his ultimate - It's late at night, your sight is reduced, you can't see a thing, and then a gentleman appears out of nowhere and starts cutting you into little pieces. Lovely.

Masquerade sounds like a fine, ass-kicking self-empowering ultimate. It's concept is second to Riven's Blade of the Exile, though, but I like it. Do a combo, get stacks, use ulti and kick some ass. It's good, and I just made a rhyme.

And for stats, health, MR, armor and MS are okey. Would like to see how much natural AD and AS he has.

OH, and by the way, I'm kind of a fan of fencing, muskeeters, the zorro and so on. I was thinking of making a champion of that style, but Fiora got the best of me. Nevertheless, I plan on making him anyway. It would be interesting if our two champions met on a duel or something, that kind of thing that enriches one's lore.

Good day to you, sir.

Draginath

04-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by dPolly View Post
*Polly comes back to the post to make a more detailed review.

This champion piqued my interest, but I had no time to comment on detail. The first thing that interested me was his name, the second thing was his concept. God, the 16th century was a time of cool names, clothing and weapons.

But enough presentation. Let's move to the most important part, that of reviewing the skills:

The passive is... Oh, my, it's glorious. It's the essense of being a badass swordman who cuts his enemies without mercy countless times, and it's perfectly balanced. It is a great source of damage, but you must know when to strike, should you spend too much time fighting, your damage would be greatly reduced; Should you run from the enemy, you would lose your vendetta stacks. Me likes, a lot.

His Q does a similar thing: Great damage if your timing is good. I like those champions whose gameplay strategies greatly reward player skill. I do have a question, though: Does Flourish reset the autoattack cooldown (Like Trundle's Rabid Bite) ?

Overrall, I like the idea of it's W, but I think that the concept can be reworked a little. Maybe if he sent shadow-copies of himself to attack the enemy? Passive gives you an aura that looks like a cloud of smoke. Enemy gets near, "PUF!" a ghost hits them in the face. Just an idea.

Ah, good ol' gap closers. His E is fine, and the cooldown reduction effect is good since it allows you to escape a fight (Or pursue the enemy) after a well-planned combo. It would also be an agent of terror during his ultimate - It's late at night, your sight is reduced, you can't see a thing, and then a gentleman appears out of nowhere and starts cutting you into little pieces. Lovely.

Masquerade sounds like a fine, ass-kicking self-empowering ultimate. It's concept is second to Riven's Blade of the Exile, though, but I like it. Do a combo, get stacks, use ulti and kick some ass. It's good, and I just made a rhyme.

And for stats, health, MR, armor and MS are okey. Would like to see how much natural AD and AS he has.

OH, and by the way, I'm kind of a fan of fencing, muskeeters, the zorro and so on. I was thinking of making a champion of that style, but Fiora got the best of me. Nevertheless, I plan on making him anyway. It would be interesting if our two champions met on a duel or something, that kind of thing that enriches one's lore.

Good day to you, sir.
Thanks for the critique. I'm glad you got what I was trying to do with Twin Strike and Vendetta.

To answer your questions:

- Yes, Flourish refreshes the swing timer, but does not count as a basic attack, so it can be used to help wipe Twin Strike stacks (debuff name: "Predictability").

- The concept for W was based a lot on the shield bits and fangs from the anime Gundam 00. I wanted something that had a dual offense/defense functionality with trade offs. For your animation suggestion, that was actually the animation style I had in mid for Twin Strike to give that kind of outta-nowhere assault feel.

- I've been thinking of altering E to be a "jump to target location and swipe nearby enemies" ability specifically for the functionality it has with his Ultimate. Jumping in and out of sight could be a really cool skill point.

- I didn't want Masquerade to be a damage steroid because Fawkes already gets more damage and other things from it. He gets resistances, pseudo-stealth, a stun, more mobility, more healing, a spell-reflect and more damage on all his abilities due to Vendetta being up at all times.

I was thinking off making it so that Twin Strike is not debuffed during Masquerade, but I think that may be overkill.

Adrasticus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-25-2012

First point, you've really put a lot of thought into this champion, it shows. Looking it over, the ult allowing you to use all spells as if they had Vendetta is a little too much. A duration of 10 seconds allows you to:
Stun for 3 seconds, doing 1200 damage in dots and two 150% next hits, magnified by the obvious trinity force you had in mind
Not only negate 4 of the 5 enemy champions CC but return it back to them
And lastly charge 3 times with 1000 range
The only thing that I don't think could be tweaked or balanced is your W, Sivir's bubble x4 makes me worried, and if you give it a reflect it is insane op, if you were thinking more along the lines of AA, try something like Jax's E, if you want spell negate, maybe like a stealth mechanism or cleanse similar to olaf ult

Draginath

04-25-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrasticus View Post
First point, you've really put a lot of thought into this champion, it shows. Looking it over, the ult allowing you to use all spells as if they had Vendetta is a little too much. A duration of 10 seconds allows you to:
Stun for 3 seconds, doing 1200 damage in dots and two 150% next hits, magnified by the obvious trinity force you had in mind
Not only negate 4 of the 5 enemy champions CC but return it back to them
And lastly charge 3 times with 1000 range
The only thing that I don't think could be tweaked or balanced is your W, Sivir's bubble x4 makes me worried, and if you give it a reflect it is insane op, if you were thinking more along the lines of AA, try something like Jax's E, if you want spell negate, maybe like a stealth mechanism or cleanse similar to olaf ult
Thanks for the critique. Of course most of my numbers are entirely arbitrary, care more about getting the overall concept down. Let's move to your points:

- I don't really think stunning twice for 1.5 sec in a 10 second space of time is too much. The DoT maybe could use a little tweaking, but again those numbers are arbitrary.

- Dashing thrice is probably a little much, I can agree with that. Perhaps tweaking the range and changing the way it deals damage might be in order. Kinda want to play with the idea of Fawkes darting in and out of vision range while Masquerade is up.

- Riposte is meant to be a spell or attack reflect. However, having it passively do these things in current form is a little much. I've considering tweaking the active to be a reactivate 4 times, where the player can potential negate 4 attacks if they time it correctly. Something like Fizz' Playful/Trickster.

- Overall, Masquerade is meant to give somewhat of a tradeoff for denying Fawkes' Vendetta stacks and having to spend them to activate it.

Draginath

04-25-2012

bump