Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Who counters Ryze in mid?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ScarletKiwi

04-15-2012

Quote:
Giltia Zero:
Talon hardly counts as a Ryze counter. Ranged auto attacks and early spammable spells (with decent damage to boot) means that Ryze is probably going to wipe the floor with Pimp Altair.

Talon is a mid counter to Morgana and Kassadin, and a maybe one or two other heavily skillshot reliant casters.

Until Ryze starts on that Frozen Heart, he can't handle Talon's burst.
I'm not disagreeing with you though; it doesn't take that long for Ryze to go for a Chain Vest after getting his tear and boots.

KillerTortilla

04-15-2012

malzahar

Tails66

Recruiter

04-15-2012

Gragas is a pretty good counter to Ryze, at least in my experience.

Tru2

04-15-2012

Quote:
moneypouch:
Brand beats Ryze 100% (Morde has the same success rate unless u can get your jungle to camp your lane)
Lux, Vlad, X all have very strong lanes against him
Morg, Cass, Kass all should beat him but good play or jungler intervention can very easily swing the lane into Ryze's favor.

Ryze's strength is that he gets tanky fast and has very high mid burst/late sustain dmg. He is a very snowbally champ that becomes increasingly more powerful once he hits his core build so he may seem uncounterable if u don't play safe and let him get the first few kills he needs.

also if u want to cheese the lane akali can win it fairly handedly if they have a jungler that cant gank early and u know how to use shroud

edit: just saw a post claiming karth is counter, not true at all actually its a free win for ryze as long as he starts boot,3+MS quints karths hp pool is to small to handle ryze's lvl 2 q-w-q-ingite unless he is at full hp and even then 10% hp karth has to be or u flash w-q first chance for free gold.

I agree with all of this except the first statement about brand. As an avid Ryze player i find brand to be extremely easy to lane against once i get my tear. Ryze is a monster of a champion to deal with the best way to deal with him is honestly to camp gank mid lane. Even when ryze is down its so easy to bounce back, hes jsut an all around really good champion that when played well is really only hard countered by champions that hard counter burst casters like from an:

Ahri taunt
Cass Ult
Kassadin passive/silence
Morg spell shield
Brand stun (Still easy to lane against)

I think ryze is a really good champion, hes powerful and serves a unique hard carry purpose who can go toe to toe with that fed ad carry end game, but at the same time if you play smart against him in lane you shouldn't have a problem free farming the lane. (Ryze can push but he is no Cass/Ahri).

In the end its all about teamwork guys. If u see them pick ryze in ranked solo que you pick galio or cho or someone who can go toe to toe with him mid. See above^

rmeofone

04-16-2012

kassadin, gangplank, zilean, leblanc, garen, and as mentioned, anyone with really long range, or a silence

Daleo88

04-16-2012

Kassadin and Leblanc should be able to easily make ryze's life hell.

I typically play TF vs ryze and it works surprisingly well. TF can poke and farm easily from good range, ryze not as well. If Ryze gets aggressive and too close to the minion wave to try to stop you, he leaves himself super exposed to ganks - and if Ryze wastes his flash he has no chance of any offense on you until the cooldown returns.
The only time I ever get in a dogfight with Ryze is with a yellow card up, which is an exchange he will probably marginally win anyways. But TF has the advantage of ganking other lanes way more easily, and if nothing else happens - keeping ryze at 0-0 with less farm than you isn't a loss.

tC Paulie

04-16-2012

Quote:
ProfDrDeath:
Above question^

My friends claim he has many counters, I think he hasn't that much...

Can you tell mel your opinions about his counters, please? Thx.

AP Yi. All day long.

GhostStalker

04-16-2012

Urgot beats the **** out of Ryze.

M0rtiv0re

04-16-2012

I smashed ryze as annie once. He wasn't a very good ryze but still. Actually i even beat him using my tank annie build. he was raging pretty bad about my stun.

Wanton Davis

04-16-2012

Xerath beats ryze all day long. EZ mode