Fear - An Analysis

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ZiegfriedX

06-29-2011

For those of you hoping to come in here, expecting to find a post detailing the Fear CC in the game, I must leave you disappointed. This is, rather, a guide on less of an in-game factor, than an actual psychological factor that players suffer from, at just about all skill levels.

I speak of the base instinct of fear.

Now, to be fair, you may be wondering what I am going on about, after all, emotion should have no sense on a competitive video game, correct?

WRONG.

From the time you pick up the game for the first time, you are constantly molded to fear certain champions, over and over by being defeated by them early on. That is why despite their fundamentally inefficient nature, they continue to haunt you, because somewhere, back in your mind, is the level 1 noob screaming, "AAAH!" at seeing Tryndamere on the other team. This influences your playing decisions, makes you say stuff like, "FOCUS TRYND", or whoever is the "OP" champ at the time, not because their mechanics are good, not becuase they're worthy of being focused, but because you fear them.

Not only is the idea of fear powerful from your original history of playing games, but it is also a powerful thing INSIDE of the game itself. Think about it this way. You start off a game. You're facing a Mordekaiser, laning against him 2v1, and you think to yourself, "Aw, man, this is gonna be easy, yeah, just CC and cook him." You set him up perfectly, but he just hit level 6. And things start going wrong. He doesn't run. As a matter of fact, he stands up to your 2v1. He gets off his ult and an ignite on you. He slams you with Q and E. You die. Instantly. You don't even know what the hell happened. And 2 seconds later, your laning partner dies. You're thinking to yourself, "WTF?" And inside of your mind, a small little flower of fear sprouts, that says, "Ignore the fact that Morde isn't good in teamfights.... He'll kill us all!". Your hesitation grows and grows as Mordekaiser continues to dominate your lane, boosted by your gold. Until the moment Mordekaiser pushes a lane by himself, and the entire team is simply too terrified of him to give chase, and he takes down a tower.

Fear is what allows a "non-tank" to tank. It is why people focus Garen when they should be focusing more squishy targets, because if Garen did so dominating early game, surely he'll be as good late game, right....? Or, that's what your fear is saying. Fear is better than a taunt, because fear lasts through an entire teamfight, and even an entire game.

If your enemies fear you, they will fall before you. That is fact.

Tretty

Recruiter

06-29-2011

fear is what makes Singed and alistar so useful.

Singed WILL mess you up in a fight. Alistar will head butt you every 5 seconds. you HAVE to kill them, but you cannot.

biomorph

06-29-2011

Fact ey?
Fear is only an effective tool against religious and unenlightened people. Those who understand what is going on will not be crippled by fear but try to solve the problem at hand. So your fear theory will only work up until a certain skill level that much I can say for certain. But I see what you mean and I have also seen it in effect.

ZiegfriedX

06-30-2011

Quite honestly, I wouldn't be surprised if people at higher skill levels suffer the same thing, just slightly diminished due to having experience to back them up.

But other than that, the same rules apply for 1-30 on Normal Games, and sometimes on Ranked games, too.

biomorph

06-30-2011

There is a difference by unreasoned fear and panic actions and the realization that fed Garen will be come a problem you need to overcome if you are to have any chance of winning the game. On the other hand, a fed Garen is a rare sight once people know what they are dealing with. Garen relies on enemy being naive and a good lane partner to setup kills for him.

ryzeonline

06-30-2011

Beautiful post. Some of the most useful, but under-clarified topics I've seen shared in this forum. Rock on sir.

FaerellG

06-30-2011

I use it all the time to "soft-tank" as Cho.
Even use it as a real tank so I can save my disables to save the carry rather than initiation.

Hiclic

06-30-2011

Very difficult to fear anything in this game. The only thing to 'fear' is uncertainty. If you haven't played long enough, or aren't keeping up on the info being presented and derived from your interface, then you will have little recourse than to make an ill-informed decision in the game. Sorry, but you should know when your opponent is about to level. You should also be keeping track of everyone's CS, positions, items, wards and even when their ults and summoner abilities were last used. If you're facing a potent jungler you should expect the double buff gank at level 4. You should have a good idea of when people are going to go for dragon or baron. These things aren't all that mysterious or scary; people are just too lazy to figure even half of them out in a normal game.

Death1015

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-30-2011

Great analysis. I have actually used this tactic to make the enemy fear me and focus me down. Ganking with a jungler tank is one thing that will let them focus you (failing in the process) I also find the "spin to win" tactic or the "jump and murder" tactic with Jarvan and Garen early game makes them very focused late game, even when their Jump only does three bars of dmg(considering its an ulti) they are still focused incredibly. Garen, however, i beg to differ on the fact that he is not powerful late game. His Spin deals incredible dmg if he has crit chance and Attack Damage, and even with those items he survives with his amazing W skill and his speed boost from youmou's Ghostblade and his Q skill. His ulti deals incredible damage early and late game, especially against tanks, so he is truly WORTHY of focusing if he builds into some sort of AD tanky hybrid.

Kikhan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

07-01-2011

There is way more to this then what you have listed. Playing scared loses more games imo. People are so afraid of dieing they will never engage sometimes. Once you start playing scared in a game you have lost the intiative and most likely more towers and eventually the game. BUY WARDS know where your enemy is