Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How to Pick Champions in Draft/Ranked

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kronikor

04-05-2012

If you get in game and before bans are finished you're calling champions to play - guess what....you probably fail...Draft and Ranked are not about playing your favorite champion or the one you're best at necessarily. It is about combining advantageous attributes to create a well-balanced and versatile team composition. Communicate with your team to find out what roles everyone can play and fill the blanks as needed.

A good team composition will be comprised of at least 1 Tank, 1 Jungler/Tank, 1 AP Carry, 1-2 AD Carries, and a Support. This team cannot be 100% damage based either, that will not work against a team with tons of CC. Finding a balance between dmg and CC is a must.

Furthermore, finding a balance between AD and AP damage is also key, a team that is too heavily AD will be easily countered by buying armor - and a team too AP heavy will be easily countered by buying MR, make sure you have at least 2 of each type. If you are last to pick and see there are already 3 AP damage dealers and you have a tank, you may consider picking that AD champ even though you typically play AP mids.

The other thing to consider is the picks the enemy is making. If you see they pick Udyr, chances are he is jungling - if you pick Fiddlesticks because he is ur best champion after this, guess what that was a bad move. Udyr counters Fiddlesticks with his bear form, interrupts drain and he can counterjungle all day errday.

Finding a mix of RANGED vs MELEE champions is also key - if you have a heavily melee team, chances are a competent opponent team will pick AoE champions, because you will all be in the same place in team fights and they can focus down multiple people at once. Too many ranged champions, and your team is probably too squishy.

If you have an issue with picking certain champions because you don't know them, better play them ALL - it will help on soooo many levels. You will know the cooldowns, so you can anticipate their abilities before they come, you will understand how to build against them because you have played them before.

There are MANY MANY nuances to this game which is why it is so successful - there is no BEST way to play, or BEST item build. It comes down to the variables that you decide to consider when making decisions, and what separates pros from the amateurs is what they consider in any given situation, they understand what is important at what time - and make the most correct decision they can with the information available to them.

This game can be best analogized to Poker believe it or not, how? Sure one is a card game and the other is an ARTS - but they are both games of incomplete information, LoL because of the fog of war keeping at least 1 players activities always a mystery, and poker because you can't see your opponents cards.

Simultaneously however, in both games there is information available to everyone at the same time (ie. when creep waves interact., the flop in poker). Each player is taking this information and making their own decisions based on what they know about what their opponent is planning/doing visibly.

Picking the right things to consider at the right times, leads to the best possible decision making, and ultimately pro play. So considering what the capabilities of your opponents picks are, how they work together, and how they impact you - will lead to picking more appropriate champions and inevitable, easier games and more wins GL!

WickedArts

04-05-2012

Good info here for anyone unsure of what to in ranked/draft mode and just in general perhaps put this in the new players forum too

Kronikor

04-05-2012

Quote:
WickedArts:
Good info here for anyone unsure of what to in ranked/draft mode and just in general perhaps put this in the new players forum too

I posted it there - glad you think so

Scary

04-05-2012

commonsense/10

metric crapton

04-24-2012

Good advice. Thanks.

I'm currently unranked. I played in a ranked game recently and was team Captain (yikes!). I guess that's why the call it Elo hell huh?

How exactly does banning work? My first pick I was only presented with Champions I actually had access too (owned and free). After that I saw just about all champions available to ban. Is the first ban selection always someone you could potentially play?

Who are the common bans?

AJStarhiker

04-24-2012

I can't count the number of times I've been in queue and either

a: two people start arguing about who gets a position (Usually solo top)

or

b: says nothing and doesn't even try to fit in with the team.

Metric, the weird can-only-see-your-own-champion is a bug.

KickedInBiccyTin

04-24-2012

Quote:
AJStarhiker:

or

B happens EVERY GAME! so annoying, you would think they would go blind pick if they dident plan on fitting in with team.

Wall of Jerico

Recruiter

04-24-2012

Quote:
AJStarhiker:

or

That's a bug? It happens every game so I thought that was supposed to happen XD.