Ping in LoL

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EvilMaxWar

04-04-2012

Ok so ive been playing for a bit under 3 weeks. My ping has been around 90 most of the time ( I live in eastern Canada btw). However for the past 4 days it has consistently been around 170-180 and i find that it impacts the gameplay quite a bit.

Im not using my internet connection for anything else and i get good results on pingtest and such other sites. I am very annoyed because i do not know when ( if ever ) it is going back to the green. I fear to play PvP now because higher ping makes me do poorly ( not that i am very skilled to begin with )

What are your experience with ping in LoL/PvP.net in general? Do those high ping peridods happen normally? What do you consider a good ping etc.

BStein

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-04-2012

check and make sure you are not downloading/uploading anything or anyone on your next work is downloading anything/uploading, that causes my ping to spike sky high when it happens to me.

also make sure that nothing like auto updates is up dating or that will affect your ping as well.

i have only had high ping when it was something on my end that was wrong. i consider ping around 60 to be good but any thing lower then 200 is playable.

Gh0st NeMesiS

04-04-2012

You may want to just check notices on the start screen when you load. I noticed their was a message from the Riot Team that some players were noticing higher than normal lag/ping. It may have been an internal issue and from what I understand has since been resolved.

Kame Senpai

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-04-2012

If its consistently above your average ping, its probably someone using a large part of your internet (for example, someone youtubing on 720p/1080p).

MrMisterblue

04-04-2012

I play just okay at average, 150 ping. Usually there's lag in the beginning but have to wait it out to stop.

EvilMaxWar

04-04-2012

Ok so i made a test, bypassed my router and connected directly to the modem through DHCP, reset the computer, closed all useless applications and i still get the same 170-180 ping.
Its not spiking or anything, just a smooth and constant ping

I gather I cannot do anything more on my side. I just hope it'll goes away in the next days. Its possibly my Isp, which is somewhat crappy i admit.

The game is Playable at this current ping but i have to adjust my timing for last hitting and i feel that it can make a difference between life and death when you need to change direction in a split second.

SkankDanker

04-04-2012

My ping is always at 200+ and in massive team fights there are times when it ruins the outcome. It does make it very hard to play at times.

Not sure if other Australian's have the same issues.

EvilMaxWar

04-04-2012

@SkankDanker, it must be frustrating

The thing is lol appears to be using a few central servers throughout the world, if you are far from any of them, you are doomed to mediocre ping.

Other online games will let you "host" a game and the main servers let other users connect to you, this ensure you can "usually " find a game with good ping. LoL just does not seem to work that way. Ping is not as critical as say FPS games but still...

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

04-04-2012

The problem with letting you host games, is that it leaves it wide open to hacking and other nefarious acts.

EvilMaxWar

04-04-2012

I can see how that would not be desired ^^

Hopefully my "lag" issue will get better in the following days.