The 'Ultimate' Garen guide (there's more to this Demacian)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ReadInPeace

08-05-2010

Hey fellow LoL players,

Quote:
Note: This is all theorycraft. For the mainstream and surely viable builds see point 5 of this post.

(I don't know what you have against creativity people. Even if it doesn't seem viable, you might pick up some tips from it.
)

Also note, that this thread is now more of a compilation of Garen builds and tips. Enjoy what you can from all of this. : )
In this guide I'm going to introduce a specific side of Garen to you and talk about some things you might not know about him. This is all experimental and hasn't been tested in real games, since I just came up with it. I know of noone who did the same. If there are such people, I guess credit goes to them, too. This guide is more aimed towards people who already know most of the basics.

1. Garen's problems

Garen is very powerful early game with his silence to spin combo, but loses steam late game. Sunfire Garen might be viable, but only as long as your opponents don't stack magic resist. And sunfire stacking gives you no damage, making you reliant on the passive, and suspectible to being outgunned.

2. Garen's ultimate

Some players might not know that Garen's ultimate deals magic damage (but has no AP ratio). The build I'm going to introduce here aims at improving his ultimate, by getting magic penetration. No more cursing because someone slipped away with 10 hp after you ulted them.

3. Judgement, Rylai's scepter and its effects

Rylai's scepter is a strange item in that we still don't exactly know what it does work on. At first, I thought it only works on targeted abilities (or skills) dealing magic damage. I came to this conclusion because it doesn't work with Pantheon's spear toss (however awesome that might have been). Spearshot is targeted, but physical. Because of this, I thought Rylai's effect wouldn't proc with Judgement, since not only it's not a targeted ability, but it deals physical damage. Well guess what folks, it works! Build a Rylai's scepter, and keep your opponents in your spin longer!

'Oh, but then I'll waste 80 AP on nothing!' - you might say. Fear not, I've got that covered. The following build explains everything. (OOOHOOOHhoo, that explaiiiiins EVERYTHING!!! - I love Egoraptor's stuff, hilarious! )

4. Putting it all together - The magic Garen build

http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Garen...643f5a4f56cd3f

Order of obtainment:

1. Ruby crystal
2. Sheen, Sorcerer's shoes
3. Haunting Guise
4. Rylai's scepter
5. Lichbane
6. If doing well, Void staff, if not, Abyssal scepter
7. The one you didn't get
(Or whatever you feel like having that fits into this build)

Now what do we have here:

- Magic penetration, so the ultimate hits harder.

- Spellslow to keep people in the whirlwind of doom. It also works with the ultimate (and triggers the whopping 35% slow), letting you chase down someone who would've gotten away with little HP. Could also be a great initiator spell (despite it dealing less damage then).

- Lichbane procs give more burst to get that squishy faster. It works like with Mystic shot on Decisive strike, giving it around 400 damage with standard AP on hitting with your Q. Think of playing AP Garen as playing AP Yi. You have four spells for four Lichbane procs to melt people with.

- Lichbane also gives you much needed magic resistance and movespeed.

This is only one variation: you could include a Zhonya's ring against focus fire, a Will of the ancients for more team support, or a Deathfire grasp versus tank-heavy teams and for more cooldown reduction.

The mastery build focuses on AP and cooldown reduction.

Runes can be standard tank runes (armorpen, dodge, magic resist per lvl, flat HP) or anything from cooldown reduction to armor penetration (so Lichbane attacks are boosted). Maybe magic penetration for an even stronger ultimate.

What we do not have here:

- OMG tanking. You won't be a main tank. More of a squishy hunter (hunting theirs, I mean).

- High sustained damage. So get in, unleash some hurt, and get out. Lick your wounds then repeat.

Thanks for reading. I hope this guide opens up new ways to play this Demacian manly man and that it cleared some misconceptions about his ultimate and Rylai's scepter.

5. Additional builds and tips

DPS build - suggested by Prail

You should be focusing on Critical strike gear and a survival item or two.

Build a 15% crit page with reds/quints, HP or HP regen with yellows, and CDR blues.

Dorans Shield
Speed 3 boots (or merc if CC heavy team)
Avarice
Zeal
Infinity edge
Phantom

w/e you desire then. You will have more than enough movespeed with your Q, boots, and zeal/phantom that keeping people in your spin is no problem.

Tank build - suggested by Viamence

The widely regarded 'be-all-end-all' Garen guide builds:
Regen Pendant
Merc Treads
Sunfire
Force of Nature
Guardian Angel
[Situational]

Peace out

IndomitusRex

08-05-2010

So you came up with this ridiculous idea after one practice game? This is even worse than a tank Garen build because you probably won't even stay alive long enough to kill steal with Demacian Justice. AP Garen ... cripes....

ReadInPeace

08-05-2010

Yes, I did, so what? The build still includes extra magic resist and HP. How about trying it before getting all sceptical? And maybe read through the whole thing. I think you just clicked the link, lol'd and disregarded the idea altogether.

Thanks for you comment, anyway.

Yellow Jester

08-05-2010

Hey let's use lich bane despite the lack of spammable skills or even AP ratios on the skills we do have!

ReadInPeace

08-05-2010

Lichbane cannot proc more than every 3 seconds, so having skills with lower cooldown than that doesn't matter. And you could always trigger one, wait 3 secs, trigger another... going through all 4 skills for maximized damage. So the spamming skills point is moot. And AP is for boosting AD via procs, as said earlier. Also, helps a ton with tower pushing. And these AP items give several other benefits which I stated before.

I could try this build and try to make a point... oh wait, I can't because of people with a mindset like yours. I may try, though.

Nice sarcasm.

Manicslayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2010

I must say, ingenuity never hurt anyone (well, a few people have died from it, but meh).
AP Garen could possibly work and I love the fact that Rylai's slows with Judgment. Unfortunately, Garen is still melee and with only Courage to really mitigate damage, he won't stay in fights as long as other Garens. This will make AP Garen less effective as he really shines sitting in the middle of everyone spinning like a top. Without the beef of most Garen builds this one won't put out as much damage simply because you won't live to your full potential. In one on one situations, the burst from Lichbane would really help, but other than that AP Garen falls short of the other builds.

I, however, will still thank you for trying to shake things up and be creative, regardless if it still isn't as effective as mainstream builds.

ReadInPeace

08-05-2010

Thank you for your constructive answer. Cheers

(I hope you weren't trolling. Would restore my faith in these forum people.)

Manicslayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadInPeace View Post
Thank you for your constructive answer. Cheers
(I hope you weren't trolling. Would restore my faith in these forums.)
If I was trolling it would be much, much more positive :P

ReadInPeace

08-05-2010

Heh, okay.

Would this be viable in 3v3? I guess it's too expensive for that.

PickleChutney

08-05-2010

A slow on your spin isn't worth much when it hits for jack all like it would with this build.

You should be focusing on Critical strike gear and a survival item or two.

Build a 15% crit page with reds/quints, HP or HP regen with yellows, and CDR blues.

Dorans Shield
Speed 3 boots (or merc if CC heavy team)
Avarice
Zeal
Infinity edge
Phantom

w/e you desire then. You will have more than enough movespeed with your Q, boots, and zeal/phantom that keeping people in your spin is no problem.