Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Galio or Talon?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Morrocc

04-03-2012

I have champions that fit pretty much every role except niche mage counter, which I hear Talon and Galio are quite good for. I want to buy one of htem, but I'm not sure which one. Could I get some suggestions and opinions on which one is more effective/versatile/useful?

-Morrocc

420 Lax Hard

04-03-2012

Gallon

LieutenantGoogle

04-03-2012

Neither, use Viegar, the mage that counters mages, their minds will be blown.

But in all seriousness I would say Galio because he's so much more useful in teamfights even if he has a crappy laning phase.
Talon I feel has to get a kill early on to do well or he'll just slowly but surely spiral downward.

Nijades

04-03-2012

Galio. His ult wins teamfights and he pokes like a boss.

Talon is just underwhelming unless fed. When he's fed he's pretty good, but it's harder to do since the unnecessary nerfs.

SlayerofAsmodean

04-03-2012

Do you want a sneaky assassin who bursts people down or a tank who shrugs off damage and changes games with his ultimate?

volaju

04-03-2012

I don't really find Galio to be a counter as much as just a tank who happens to survive burst AP lanes and live long enough in later game teamfights against AP comps to pull off his ult.

Veigar does decently VS strong AP's since he can straight up blow one up before the fight starts, which removes them from the fight. That's as hard a counter as you can get. Talon does this as well, but his 1 shot potential is honestly a tad bit lower. Talon also has longer CD's, so if you itemize armor against him, if he doesn't blow you up, he might be boned, where as Veigar can kill you without even using all his abilities, and fairly easily.

Kassadin / Leblanc do a good job as well as they pack silences, mobility so they can actually reach the AP they intend to counter, and hefty burst. Leblanc has more burst than Kass, but Kass has 15% magic damage reduction for a passive.

Roneld3444

04-03-2012

Anti mage

Morrocc

04-03-2012

Quote:
volaju:
I don't really find Galio to be a counter as much as just a tank who happens to survive burst AP lanes and live long enough in later game teamfights against AP comps to pull off his ult.

Veigar does decently VS strong AP's since he can straight up blow one up before the fight starts, which removes them from the fight. That's as hard a counter as you can get. Talon does this as well, but his 1 shot potential is honestly a tad bit lower. Talon also has longer CD's, so if you itemize armor against him, if he doesn't blow you up, he might be boned, where as Veigar can kill you without even using all his abilities, and fairly easily.

Kassadin / Leblanc do a good job as well as they pack silences, mobility so they can actually reach the AP they intend to counter, and hefty burst. Leblanc has more burst than Kass, but Kass has 15% magic damage reduction for a passive.

Thanks for the suggestions, but honestly, I've tried all of those mages during their free weeks and I don't really like them that much.

Siyamak

04-03-2012

Can't say I've ever seen or really read about Talon as being a specific "counter" to AP mage. I'd say Galio probably fits that role much better.

Hypnomouse

04-03-2012

Quote:
Morrocc:
I have champions that fit pretty much every role except niche mage counter, which I hear Talon and Galio are quite good for. I want to buy one of htem, but I'm not sure which one. Could I get some suggestions and opinions on which one is more effective/versatile/useful?

-Morrocc

If your team needs a tank or has a ap top like vlad kennen etc then galio is better imo as you can still even go double wota late plus his ult is awesome late game when used right.

Not that talon is bad at all just feel like in most situations galio and still be that ap mid and then help more late game in certain scenarios.