Support AP Carry

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thereisnospoon11

07-02-2013

So lately I've been matching up with or against more support champions that end up carrying the team.

Example: I did solo q for summoners rift (I'm lvl 19 btw) and right off the bat one player is afk, and another is playing something like 5 minutes on, 5 minutes off. It's essentially 3v5 but our team wins because Sona carried our team hard.

Another Example: I just finished a match opposing a team with Nami, and she comes in and facerolls us like a <<insert pun here>>.

I have seen more, but these are a few examples. I'm wondering if I am seeing this due to the elo-esque system they have in place for unranked matchmaking.

I realize these guys are smurfs, but still! I demand answers! I understand in the right hands they can pull off stuff like that, but how come you don't see that at higher levels in the game. Also how would you prevent a lollernami or rofflesona from destroying you and your team? And finally, if it is hacks I want IN! I demand a guide how to pwn face as a support!

SomeCallMeEd

07-02-2013

Actually, you do lol. I see it a lot. Just the other match a Ezreal pretty much 1v5'd us and WON. (I'm level 30, and not a support but man was that demoralizing. 4 afk's on his team, still lost)

But some supports are actually quite powerful if they build right. A full AD Sona or Lulu can be pretty deadly, a full AP Soraka can melt your team while just tanking everything with her heals.

There are a few supports that can carry like you saw though. Thresh, Taric, Lulu, Sona, Soraka, and possibly Jana (never seen that one but those tornadoes hurt).

Nami, I dunno something's a bit off there. I play her a lot and her damage is pretty blah. Even IF she's fed her thing is CC and letting her team do the work. Her bubble is difficult to land on moving targets and people spread out, Nami is pretty much Alistar Tier in terms of damage, she's like a foam toolbox. Useful but doesn't really hurt if thrown at a passing jogger.

Ya can't really think of a support as a weak ward bot. They're just champs that work well without gold or at low levels. The only reason Nami, Alistar, and select others are so weak is a Kit thing (cuz we all know Jungle Ali was scarier then jungle Amumu *eyeroll*) They pack so many tools that they forgot a weapon. That said, be careful of Leona and Thresh, they kinda break that rule until late game, where their damage is pretty blah compared to everyone els unless Thresh get's ultra-fed.

Also, note that Sona is squishy and can be blown up in seconds if you get some help and get her CC'd, and Soraka is in a similar boat.

But yeah, having to fight smurfs sucks.

Coulson

07-02-2013

The reason you don't see supports carrying hard like that is because at the highest levels of play, players extremely value map vision. So, supports are given the role of being a walking ward-dispenser to allow for other roles to use the valuable gold towards core items ASAP. Without items, supports can't do damage or use abilities as often as possible. So they can't really "carry." However, there are some support players who really excel in making amazing plays that turns teamfights in their favour. A popular example of a player who can carry with support is CJ Entus Frost's MadLife. Watch his highlights with champs like Alistar, Thresh and Blitz, and you will see support carrying at its finest.

Now, back to your other question. I get a feeling what's happening is that smurts on supports are setting up amazing initiation or lockdown of targets to allow for teamfights to go their way. Both Sona and Nami have powerful AoE hard CC ultimates. So, if the ultimate gets at least 2 of your teammates, that's 2+ people not able to do anything (unless they use Cleanse, or Quicksilver Sash, or eat oranges) while the enemy team is wailing on your team.

The only counter to this is to not stand close to each other before teamfights and use whatever means necessary to avoid ultimates. Positioning is key for winning teamfights and good positioning counters the utility of these support champions (their damage isn't that scary). If your ADC is at the front while Nami's Tidal Wave is coming towards your team, then you are likely to lose the teamfight. So move in a formation that puts squishy damage dealers near the back, while putting the tanky guys in front. This will give squishies time to react to initiation and also to give them space to put in some damage.

Sakula

07-02-2013

Supports are supports because they are champions that scale poorly with gold but have strong abilities. Because they are not item reliant this means they are able to spend money on wards and items for their team while still being useful. Against higher level players if the support has that much gold then a) the game should have been over ~30 minutes ago, or b) their team is going to get crushed in every single team fight.

Jhemp

07-03-2013

I run a solid AP Janna, and although I'm only level 23 I can't say I've played many teams that stood a chance against that... Jannas tornadoes hit without impunity and her bird packs a wallop... Couple that with a Lich bane and there aren't too many champions who walk away from the old one-two... As for any of the others it works pretty much the same with Morgana q/w with 700+ AP (Even though thats an ARAM thing more than a rift) most champions will bow to their knees... Soraka can heal an entire team and call stars several times before most people can get more than a hit on her... I suppose its about who plays... If a team communicates well wards become less necessary... I for one still think that AP support carry is a viable build option...

Saranwrap17

07-03-2013

Become Madlife. It's the secret of supporting.