Which matchmaking 'issue' is the most important to you? (See post for more details!)

1) AFKs in Champion Select Lobby 4,871 36.22%
2) Duo-Queue Elo Disparities in Ranked 1,007 7.49%
3) Skilled Ranked Players in Normal Modes 665 4.95%
4) Premade Matching 671 4.99%
5) Transitioning from Normal to Ranked Mode 1,346 10.01%
6) Free to Play Champions in Ranked Mode 802 5.96%
7) Random Champions in Ranked Mode 647 4.81%
8) Provisional Matches in Ranked 723 5.38%
9) Duo Queue Prevalence in Ranked 421 3.13%
10) Level Disparities 649 4.83%
11) Team Margin of Victory 1,645 12.23%
Voters: 13447. You may not vote on this poll

After Hours with Matchmaking and Lyte

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Pocketbomb

10-11-2012

4) Team Margin of Victory
Some players argue that in epic, close matches, teams should not gain or lose the exact same Elo as a lopsided match. What are good metrics for "team margin of victory" that are focused on promoting team play and not individual performances?

I'm sure we could find a better metric than purely time.

I think Total Team Gold (TTG) sounds like a pretty good place to start. It seems to be the greatest predictor of a games outcome from watching the playoffs. Maybe something like a TTG checks every 7 minutes if they are similar, those seven minutes are worth more exp/ip/elo than if one side was dominating.

If you could pull off a system like that you could go in all kinds of crazy directions, like come back bonuses and what not.

Asko

10-15-2012

Can something be made about the normal game matchmaking alrdy? I'm so sick of seeing games like this:

my team:

unranked (lvl 28!!!!!)
unranked
1541 (me)

vs

how on earth do games like this ever happen? Needless to say every lane got stomped hard and no one had fun.
How are the matchmaking upgrades progressing?

Goumindong

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxmike View Post
So, this account has ONLY EVER played ranked with Kodoscopy in duo queue. Every single game we queue together.

Weird things:

1) There is 20 elo difference between us even though we both hit level 30 in the same couple days and we only ranked queue in the same games together.
According to your match histories

Losing Team
Kodoscopy
noobkilr
Sir Trolllington
UofOregon
elBOOBOO
VS
Winning Team
YANxNSB
jangSTAR
DarkNinjaSlayer
AkiyamaS
Defias One

Note how "Kodoscopy" is not on a team with "Maxmike". This can explain the ELO difference

Jiz Khalifa

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-16-2012

Some things LoL NEEDS to be an overall better game:

1. A queue to avoid any type of premade matched teams, for normal games

2. A queue for Proving Grounds to avoid the dodgers

I can guarantee you these two simple things will easily ease the frustration of thousands of players

Banana Justice

10-16-2012

1) Random Champions in Ranked Mode [6/13/2012]
RANDOM players feel that you should not be able to "Random" a Champion in Ranked Play, and that this feature is used to intentionally troll their team in some use cases.

Irony. We adapt our builds based on the match, We adapt our plays based on the match, Anyone can carry themselves out of Elo hell and yet picking a random champ can be used to intentionally troll? What is the logic behind that?

vortical42

10-16-2012

How about some way of allowing players some control over which games are actually used to calculate their ELO once the provisional matches end? No matter how skilled a player is there are things that we simply can't control that cause a loss. One way would be to make the provisional period 12 matches and then throw out the worst 2. Or allow the player to reset the provisional calculation if they run into a streak of bad luck.

Venova

10-16-2012

@Lyte - On champion select toxicity mentioned a while back in this thread, why not just "endorse" calling of roles by giving players a non-binding button they can click to call each role, or adding a report option for "refused to play role we needed / troll picked role already taken / blatent disregard of calls/team comp". In my experience, role calling and agreement/compromise results in the best, most positive teams that work well together and give a good enjoyable play experience from start to finish, win or loss. All this "pick order" business some people seem to think is the rule of the land is complete nonsense, this is a team game and people need to work as a team from champion select - if someone is much weaker or inexperienced in a role, they shouldn't get forced into it by people refusing to compromise because they simply pick before them. I do feel that any person playing draft should be good / great at at least 2 roles, and be able to do at least 1 other well, with 1 further them having at least some experience with, and they ought to have played every role at some point. Not many people are going to just have champions for every role and be hightly experienced in all of them - people want to win, and you don't win by shoehorning someone into something they are bad at. Especially if they admit they are bad at it.

I guess this is turning into much of a rant, but I think some means of aiding or encouraging the respect of role calls would be beneficial to the champion select problems. Perhaps a means of positive encouragement could be the ability to Honor a player during champion select for "compromise" or "positve team spirit" or something like that - after all selections and bans had been made, the button would come up during the 30 second free time. Or perhaps it could just be for after the game as well. A "Champion Select Friendly" or something honor option to specifically praise players for compromise and cooperation in champion select. Champion Select really sets the tone of how things will go in the game in most cases, and 1 or 2 people causing problems and arguments in champion select can turn a blank slate game into a scribbled ragefest mess. I think something like this would help encourage cooperation and reduce selfish "role or feed" picking, because it incentivises cooperation and compromise specifically in champion selection.

Kunfite

10-16-2012

Quote:
4) Team Margin of Victory
Some players argue that in epic, close matches, teams should not gain or lose the exact same Elo as a lopsided match. What are good metrics for "team margin of victory" that are focused on promoting team play and not individual performances?
You can measure this by objective control. Dragons killed, barons killed, buffs stolen, turrets destroyed, inhibitors destroyed, inhibitors respawned, wards placed, wards killed, etc.

For example, if a team gets 5-0 dragons, 2-0 baron, and takes all your turrets and inhibs without letting them respawn, is clearly a one sided match in favor of the winning team. But, if a team struggle in a match 3-3 dragons, 1-1 barons, 5-5 turrets, 2-2 inhib killed and 2-2 inhib respawned in a 52 minute match, it's clearly a close victory.

My 2 cents.

vortical42

10-17-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venova View Post
I guess this is turning into much of a rant, but I think some means of aiding or encouraging the respect of role calls would be beneficial to the champion select problems. Perhaps a means of positive encouragement could be the ability to Honor a player during champion select for "compromise" or "positve team spirit" or something like that - after all selections and bans had been made, the button would come up during the 30 second free time. Or perhaps it could just be for after the game as well. A "Champion Select Friendly" or something honor option to specifically praise players for compromise and cooperation in champion select. Champion Select really sets the tone of how things will go in the game in most cases, and 1 or 2 people causing problems and arguments in champion select can turn a blank slate game into a scribbled ragefest mess. I think something like this would help encourage cooperation and reduce selfish "role or feed" picking, because it incentivises cooperation and compromise specifically in champion selection.
There would be another very positive side effect of this suggestion. It would smooth over a lot of the friction that currently results when you have players who don't speak the same language. Being able to see that 'Oh player X wants to play top' means that everyone else can plan around him if the player is unable to communicate.

It could also be used for matchmaking. There are times when I want to practise a particular role. It would be great to be able to choose an option that only matches me with teams where that role isn't requested by someone else.

CloserToTheSun

10-31-2012

New to these forums, here because of this thread on reddit regarding people who heckle teammates for poor performance. http://www.reddit.com/r/leagueoflege..._to_happen_in/ Someone mentioned there that Lyte cited numbers here on the (at least) correlation of derogatory comments for mistakes with losses. It seems like something that would be hard to prove causation on (particularly because mistakes put you behind, so even before being heckled you should be more likely to lose), but can anyone link to Lyte's post about this? I'm sorry I was not able to find it, going through about 150 of the red posts.

This topic has always been of interest to me because I've sensed a poorer play from myself and teammates following such heckling. I'd also like to know -

a) anything that isn't top secret about plans to reduce this behavior

b) do reports frequently result in any kind of bans for this, or is it considered to be soft/minor toxic behavior (personally, this is my favorite thing to report someone for, eventually someone else will get the AFKers banned, and I'm not sure that type of person will change, but if these people take a few days off to cool their head, it can be really good for the community)

EDIT: Didn't notice this thread was dead, has a similar discussion started elsewhere? Sorry for the necro.