[Guide] Recurve Udyr

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

betrayedprince

08-05-2010

Introduction
Udyr is the most build-versatile champion in LoL. You can be a DPS/Burst type utilizing the Tiger Stance, a DPS/ASPD type utilizing either Tiger or Pheonix, a support type with a mix of armor, health and Turtle Stance, a full-on tank utilizing Turtle Stance or a Tank/AP type utilizing Turtle Stance.

No matter what build you use or how you plan to play (lane or jungle), Udyr is a powerful force to reckon with and will have a huge impact in team battles or gank operations. His ďI touch you and you stunnedĒ gives him so much edge in a 1v1 fight. Coupled with his passive and shield refreshing, you are near unstoppable and hard to deal with in team fights.

A word of warning: Udyr is not easy to use especially when you are inexperienced with melee or are used to melee characters with a ranged ability (i.e Shaco, Kassadin). Udyr is the embodiment of pure melee power. Heís not like Alistar who can only tank. Udyr is anything and everything you would want in a melee hero.

About the Recurve Udyr Build:
Most players who have tried other builds will disagree with some of the things I will put here. Let it be known that Udyr has been my main even before they nerfed him. He was powerful back then and is still powerful now. Iíve tested all possible builds (even pure AP) and have come to the conclusion that this build I have made and perfected is best suited for MY PLAYSTLE and I hope it will suit yours.
This build concentrates on Udyrís naturally fast attacks. I call this the ďRecurve BuildĒ simply because MOST of your items will revolve around having a Recurve Bow prerequisite. I do not use Guinsooís Rageblade for two reasons: (a)A flat aspd bonus is better than having to rely on getting faster after you deal hits. Better to be fast on the get-go than wait to be faster and risk getting killed and (b) the AP bonus isnít really needed when you have the Trinity Force effect everytime you switch stances.

Moving on.

Skills:

Tiger Stance: (mana cost: 75/65/55/45/35) Activation: On his next attack, Udyr swipes at his target, dealing 1.8/2.1/2.4/2.7/3 times his attack damage over 2 seconds.
Persistent Effect: Udyr's attack speed is increased by 30/40/50/60/70%. In addition, Udyr splits his attacks into 3 lightning fast hits. On hit effects only trigger off the first hit.

Turtle Stance: (mana cost: 75/65/55/45/35) Activation: Udyr gains a temporary shield that absorbs 60/100/140/180/220 (+0.5) damage. Persistent Effect: Udyr's attacks cannot crit, but he restores 12/14/16/18/20% of his damage as health and 9/10.5/12/13.5/15% of his damage as mana.

Bear Stance: (mana cost: 75/65/55/45/35) Activation: Udyr gains 15/18/21/24/27% increased movement speed for 2/2.5/3/3.5/4 seconds. Persistent Effect: Udyr mauls his target with such force that they are stunned for 1 second. This effect cannot occur on the same target for 6 seconds.

Pheonix Stance: (mana cost: 75/65/55/45/35) Activation: Udyr sends out pulsing waves of fire dealing 15/25/35 (+0.25) magic damage each second to nearby enemies for 5 seconds. In addition, Udyr's ability power is increased by 16/24/32/38/44 and his attack damage is increased by half of that amount. Persistent Effect: Every fourth attack, Udyr engulfs enemies in front of him in flame, dealing 40/80/120/160/200(+0.25) magic damage.

Udyr's Passive: Entering a stance grants Udyr 10% attack speed and 3% dodge for 5 seconds. This effect can stack up to 3 times.

Summoner Spells:
Smite and Ghost Ė Smite for jungling and Ghost for chasing and ganking. End. THESE ARE THE SPELLS IíM GOING USE FOR THIS GUIDE.

Exhaust and Ghost Ė self explanatory

Ignite and Ghost Ė same as above.

As you can see, I donít go without ghost. Iíll explain my choice in a bit.

Runes:
Mark Ė Armor Pen
Seals Ė Dodge
Glyphs Ė Attack Speed
Quints Ė 1 Armor pen and 2 Attack speed

Masteries
21/0/9 Ė make sure you get the Smite buff from the Offense and 1 point on the mastery that increases buff time.

Items:
Ideally, this will be your end game item build. Assuming that the game lasts long enough for you to use up all 6 slots with fully upgraded items.

1. Boots of Mobility Ė after selling Berzerkerís Boots later in the game
2. Last Whisper
3. Madredís Bloodrazor Ė Game usually ends when you get this.
4. Starkís Fervor
5. Trinity Force Ė if the game makes it this far
6. Witís End or Divine Sword

Skill Priority:
1. Phoenix
2. Turtle
3. Phoenix
4. Bear
5. Phoenix
6. Phoenix
7. Bear
8. Phoenix - MAX
9. Bear
10. Turtle
11. Bear
12. Turtle
13. Bear - MAX
14-18. Tiger - MAX

Explanations will come, little birds. Iíll feed you the information you need.

Game time:

Early game:
The first thing you buy is a Vampiric Scepter and pick Phoenix for the first skill. The ideal thing to do is wait for the minions to spawn and get 35gold for a health pot. This will help in avoiding an ambush near the Golem buff you plan to take. The golem spawns at 1:55, you want to wait near the inner tower until you see all 5 enemy champions on the map OR until you see two enemy champions on the lane near the golem. You donít want to be the first blood.

This is how you kill the golem at Level 1: Position yourself where you can hit at least one of the smaller minions with your Phoenix proc. Use smite on the golem and pop Phoenix in quick succession. Once you see your hp decrease, use the health potion. Use Phoenix again once it cdís. Then kill off the rest of the creeps without using Phoenix again. Remember, two pops of Phoenix. This is important in your early jungling phase.

Because of your masteries, you will get level 2 upon killing the golem and the two creeps. Make sure no one helps you kill the golem. They will leech off the exp and leave you at level 1. Pick Turtle for your next skill. After level 2 is where my build deviates from traditional builds and Iíll tell you in a sec.

Head for the wolf camp. Pop Phoenix until the persistent effect procs then switch to Turtle. Ideally, you will have to kill the bigger wolf first to eliminate the higher dmg output it creates, then the smaller ones. Keep popping Turtle until the last creep is near death. Even with the golem buff, your mana regen will not be able to keep up with your stance switching. This is why it is important to only pop Phoenix twice on your encounter with the Ancient Golem.

Now head for the smaller golem camp on the other side of the map. Pop Phoenix and donít switch to Turtle until your Phoenix procs. Use Turtle until both golems are killed. DO NOT USE SMITE. You should have over half your health but below ĺ upon hitting level 3. Pick Phoenix upon leveling and head for the Ancient Lizard camp. Position yourself at the middle of the 3 creeps. Pop smite and Phoenix in quick succession. Depending on how high/low your health was before you started the attack, you should be able to pop Phoenix twice before switching to Turtle to secure your survival. Level 2 Phoenix AOE should be able to kill the two other creeps. If not, kill them with Turtle.

Time to B. Get a Longsword and 2 health pots and head for the Wraith camp. Kill them all with Phoenix and Turtle and head for the Ancient Golem on the other side of the river. By this time, you first golem buff should be out or nearly gone. Itís up to you if you want to help the solo lane for a bit or gank the 2v2 lane. I suggest the 2v2 lane since your chances of successfully killing a champion is higher. If not, kill the golem using Smite, Phoenix and Turtle then gank the nearest lane. You should be at level 4 by now. Youíll need to put a point on the Bear Stance for ganking.

*Ganking*
Ping the hero you want to target(preferably a squishy one or one with low hp). When you feel that the others are ready, pop Ghost and run up to your target. Pop bear when youíre near for extra speed. Upon hitting the target, pop Phoenix. Wait for it to proc then pop bear to ensure a second stun and seal the deal by switching back to Phoenix. Be smart. Check if they have flash or Ghost or an ability to help them escape and use that knowledge to intercept their escape direction instead of heading straight for their current location. All this will come naturally with more experience.

NOTE: Pinging is important. It lets the other people in the lane know that you plan to gank. Do not blame your teammates for not helping if you failed to ping. Simply typing it on the chatbox is insufficient since they have more things to worry about than reading what you type. Once the kill is landed(either one or two enemy champs down), help push to tower. Destroy it if possible. Iíve destroyed towers under the 4:30 mark with Udyr and two other champs(one tank, one mage). You can do it too.

Assuming that you are the one who landed the kill/s, you should have enough gold for boots and 2 health pots after you recall back to base.

To Review:
You should have initially bought a Vampiric Scepter, then went back to get a Longsword, then after a few successful ganks and some pushing, you should have upgraded your boots to Berzerkerís Boots and possibly gotten a Madredís Razor. This will reflect in your Early/Mid StageÖ

Early/Mid game:
This is the stage where you are about lvl 6-8. This is ideally the best time for Udyr to keep on ganking and pushing. Regardless of whether or not you land many kills between these levels, Udyr will excel in pushing towers, moving from lane to lane, killing jungle creeps and keeping his buffs up, farming and defending. There is virtually nothing Udyr canít doÖ wellÖ apart from performing a ranged attack.
This, in my opinion is the pivotal part of the game for this build. You will have to gank multiple times. Push if you canít gank. The amount of money you can get from creeps by simply pushing will be enough to compensate for your lack of champ kills. And if all goes well, you could be able to destroy a couple towers with the help of your team.

With Madredís Razors and a Berzerker Boots you will be a hard pusher and jungling will be a breeze. Remember to try to keep the jungle free from the Ancient Creeps by killing them off as soon as the respawn. More money, more mana, more damage. Constantly.

To review:
At this point, you should have a Vampiric Scepter, Berzerker Boots and a Madredís Razors for jungling and pushing. At the least. If you can, get a Recurve Bow to start off your Last Whisper.

NOTE: Now, some of you may think that getting Dredís is not as good as going Sheen first for a DPS. Hereís my reasoning: You can jungle far better. Period. And remember that the chance to hit for 500+ dmg on a creep also goes into your lifesteal. At level 6, you can solo the dragon and help your team out. Itís better than making you a better damage dealer against champs. The extra armor also gives you more survivability.

Mid Game: (Level 9-12)
Notice that I mentioned that you should get a Recurve Bow for a Last Whisper and not a Bloodrazor. You will need the extra dmg for creeps coming from the Razors as you jungle in and out and push. Last Whisper will help your attack speed and give you extra damage. Plus, itís cheaper and faster to make than Bloodrazors. The more you wait for Bloodrazors, the more you sacrifice your ability to deal quick and lethal damage at a stage where no one really has all the items they need yet. Get Last Whisper.

At this point in the game, you should have maxed out Phoenix and have Bear at level 3(you are at level 9) and Turtle at level 1. Remember when I told you that this isnít the typical Udyr stance path? Yeah, Turtle isnít as important to me as it is with other builds. Say what you want. This build works and I have proven it versus all champion types including an opposing Udyr who uses Turtle. I donít need lifesteal and shield when I can kill you in a few seconds. The lifesteal from Vamp Scepter is enough to keep me alive to kill any champ. Provided of course that you played smartly and not just charged in without assessing the situation.

This also the point of the game where team battles happen frequently. Take some time to read and remember these tips when entering a team battle.

Team Battles:
-You are not the tank. Do not think you can outlast casters when you initiate. The purpose of this build is to swoop in, stun the caster and kill him. 8 out of 10 times, you will survive the barrage of AOE. Always enter the battle with the Turtle Shield and switch to Bear immediately.

-Wait for the tank to initiate or the enemy team to initiate. Once the battle starts, pop ghost, then Turtle, then Bear. Stun the caster or DPS and proceed to whoop them with your Phoenix and Bear stance dance. If your team went in to support, you will land a kill and have enough hp to get out alive. B and run back.

-When the odds are against you and someone in your team fed their carry, let your team defend while you break towers. This is what I call ďPlan BĒ. Udyr is fast and can knock a tower or two down if the enemy team does not pay attention. I have won many games with the odds stack against us simply by pushing lanes and keeping side pressure on the enemy base.

-Stun any channeling champion. Ideally, you will pop Turtle, switch to bear immediately and remain in bear form until youíve removed any channeling threat(Nunu, Kat, Fiddleís drain). If it benefits the team and you are confident they can survive without you, take down their carry or heavy caster with you.

Items so far:
You should have Berzerkerís Boots, Vampiric Scepter, Madredís Razors and Last Whisper. Depending on how you did earlier, you may also have another Recurve Bow for your Bloodrazors. Or, if you prefer, a Pickaxe for more damage. IF you did extremely well(like godlike kind of ďwellĒ), then you should have the Madredís Bloodrazors.

Keep ganking and keep popping in and out of the jungle. You main duty as a ganking DPS is to keep the enemy off balance. Your mere absence should keep them out of the jungle and near their towers, fearing your arrival. While in the jungle, keep in mind that they could be preparing for an ambush. Always try to be in your territory of the jungle when getting buffs if available. You should already have killed enough champs and creeps to get Bloodrazors. Go get it. If money permits it, get a Sheen to add damage and start off your Trinity.

Interception: An excellent strategy that I execute every now and then is intercepting minions in between towers. Since you are in the jungle anyway, it wouldnít hurt to do it every now and then. This helps your lanes because without extra creeps, towers canít be defended efficiently. Just a good tip. You are free to ignore this.

Additionally, you are a push king. No one can out push Udyr one on one. With all your aspd and damage, you can knock down two towers in a lane before a 4v5 team battle ends.

Late Game:
As the game comes to a close, you should already have noticed that your attack speed is unrivaled and your damage output is unmatched in terms of auto attacking. Mages fear you and Tanks canít keep up with you. You allies love you and are stronger because of you. You have given them the edge in battle. Play smart and support your team. But do NOT try to help everyone. If the pros are lower than the cons when it comes to saving someone in a team battle, retreat and regroup. You and the guy you tried to help being dead does not help the team.

Items so far:
You should have Boots of Mobility(sell the Zerk Boots and buy the BoM), Last Whisper, Madredís Bloodrazor, Starkís Fervor and have Trinity Force nearly done(Sheen first for dmg, Zeal primarily for movement speed and Phage last). Why Phage last? You canít be outrun. When initiating, BoM + Bear gives you unrivaled speed. Upon contact, youíre slower. Thatís ok, you have Ghost and Bear. They will die.

The last item on your list should be Witís End(caster heavy enemies) or a Divine Sword(dps/tank heavy enemies). This is of course if the game goes on til 40+ minutes. Typically, the game should be over as soon as you get Madredís Bloodrazor. Thatís usually the case for me.

To recap:
You are at level 18. You have Boots of Mobility, Last Whisper, Madredís Bloodrazor, Starkís Fervor and a Trinity Force on the way. Should the game last longer than expected, you will get a Witís End or a Divine Sword.

Additional Notes:
-Always think about one-upping your opponent. See a caster by himself, kill him. See your creeps pushing near enemy towers, go in and take the tower down.

-MAP AWARENESS> People get killed because they donít look at the map and see whoís mia. Play smart. Donít waste people's time because you make stupid mistakes.

-Always keep plan B in mind. Those of you who donít like backdooring, cool your heads. Plan B is a push method designed to keep the enemy off balance. Once they see you pushing, their 5 man team either breaks off into two teams or all 5 of them runs off to kill you. A lot players are selfish. Most of them will go and try to kill you. This gives your allies ample time to respawn or farm. It helps your team. Period. BUTÖ backdooring is also viable. Itís also a strategy. How do you think Israel won against all those other countries huh? Preemptive strike. Kill their inhib before they kill yours. Basic military strategy.

-Whenever you are near an ally who is being chased down, drop what youíre doing and intercept the chaser. I donít care if youíre nearly out of mana. You will deplete you mana by spamming bear and catch up to save your ally and deny your enemy ANY gold. Period. No Golem or Lizard buff is worth more than an ally getting killed. If you donít think so then go play an FPS. This is a team game. Help your team.

-Udyr is only as powerful as his team. Regardless of how much of a badass you are, your team will dictate the entire game. This holds true for any hero. No one can 1v5 and come out alive. I donít care who you are. In Ranked games, no one can go head to head with 5 full hp heroes and live. Help your team and they will help you too. Help the lane that needs helping, it will keep the balance in your favor.

-DO NOT PARTICIPATE IN RAGING.

-Lastly, this build is meant for players who are used to a playstyle that utilizes melee dps. Udyr is not as easy to use as all other melee champs because of his lack of ranged abilities. ASPD fixes that disadvantage. Once youíre up close, which should happen everytime when you gank, it will show.

-And if no one else is able to use this build and have great games, then watch for me in the Fields of Justice and show you how it's done. haha

Question? Complaints? Concerns? I hope this will help would-be Udyr users.

ThatKuhlKid

08-05-2010

great guide. I almost dismissed it when i read the title but im really glad i didnt judge this book by its cover. I usually go red fort, do blue, do wolves, do wraiths, do red, do golem and then gank with red buff, blue buff, bear and pheonix. I usually rush bloodrazor then just focus on survivablility, but after reading this i def want to give starks a try. I've aslo been thinking about how an aura udyr would fair (starks, ageis, frozen heart). What are your thoughts?

betrayedprince

08-05-2010

I've seen and tested an aura Udyr and I've been impressed by its resiliency a couple times. But to tell you the truth, Udyr is more suited to be a damage dealer. One way or another, a damage type Udyr wins more games than a tank or support type. Whther you agree or not is up to you. But don't you think that 3 damage skills(Tiger,Bear,Phoenix) point to him being a carry or pusher? Just a thought. Turtle is the icing on the damage dealing cake because it lengthens your time in combat.

That being said, an aura/tank/support Udyr is only ever needed if there is absolutely no tank in your team. If there is only one tank, Udyr can be do a semi-type build. In all other cases, in my opinion, Udyr should be a DPS or burst.

It's up to you though. Udyr is fun to experiment with. Thanks for reading my guide and thanks for the positive comments.

Ephemeralis

08-05-2010

No Rageblade? Have fun doing practically no damage. People underestimate just how god-tier this item is on Udyr - it literally makes or breaks your damage. If you enter a fight without Rageblade up, you are going to be about as threatening as a gentle breeze.

No Innervating Locket? Have fun dying repeatedly from not being able to stance dance whenever golem is down. The dodge and atkspd from your passive actually matters in fights - particularly vs melee dps. Cycling phoenix and turtle means you will absorb at least the next 250~ damage dealt to you every four seconds or so, which makes you a force to be reckoned with.

This is a good guide, but I would really not play any form of Udyr build (tank or otherwise) without both Locket and Rageblade. They should be cores for every build, because once you have them both, you can literally go any direction with Udyr and he'll still be viable. Hell, you could stack sunfires and AP from there on in and run like an idiot into teamfights with phoenix up whilst wailing on people with auto and you'd still rack up the kills.

GM Bushido Brown

08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ephemeralis View Post
No Rageblade? Have fun doing practically no damage. People underestimate just how god-tier this item is on Udyr - it literally makes or breaks your damage. If you enter a fight without Rageblade up, you are going to be about as threatening as a gentle breeze.

No Innervating Locket? Have fun dying repeatedly from not being able to stance dance whenever golem is down. The dodge and atkspd from your passive actually matters in fights - particularly vs melee dps. Cycling phoenix and turtle means you will absorb at least the next 250~ damage dealt to you every four seconds or so, which makes you a force to be reckoned with.

This is a good guide, but I would really not play any form of Udyr build (tank or otherwise) without both Locket and Rageblade. They should be cores for every build, because once you have them both, you can literally go any direction with Udyr and he'll still be viable. Hell, you could stack sunfires and AP from there on in and run like an idiot into teamfights with phoenix up whilst wailing on people with auto and you'd still rack up the kills.
this post is ridiculous it would be safe to dismiss this guys opinion completely.

Dahawa

08-06-2010

Great guide betrayed, I'm also an avid Udyr player and I've been theorycrafting and testing different builds in game and I agree with your logic.

I have a question regarding early dragon? Have you tried grabbing dragon early while jungling? I tend to get madred's first primarily to kill the dragon at around 5-6 minutes to help the team, bluepill back for boots, then I run around and gank using methods you mentioned earlier. What are your thoughts?

betrayedprince

08-06-2010

@Ephemeralis - Ok dude. Whichever fits YOUR PLAYSTLE. Please read through and tell me why your opinion wasn't necessary. Thanks for your input. It does not change the fact that I've won more games without rageblade than with it. I explained my reasoning for not having a rageblade and I think that is sufficient.

@Dahawa - The only reason I do not get Dred's immediately is because I feel that killing enemy champions is better for the team. If that makes sense to you. When I have boots and the longsword, I can easily kill champs that I have outleveled even when I jungle(probably around level 4-6). As soon as you get the dred's using this build, then go for the dragon. No one else but Warwick is capable of doing dragon that early anyway unless 2 or 3 champs help out. It's safe to say that the dragon will stay alive after you've had your fist kills. That's me though.
Additionally, if you read my guide, I like pushing. Even if the enemy team grabs the dragon before me, it's going to pale in comparison to killing one or two champs and a tower. Again, it goes down to your style of play. You can mix things up with this build and still go for your early dragon. Later in the game, you will still own. You are Udyr after all. hahaha UDYR SMASH!!!!!

MortifiedPhReaK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-06-2010

Great guide which I hope not allot of people follow, because I hate fighting udyr haha. And it seems when someone follows this guide udyr will be an even bigger pain in the behind.

betrayedprince

08-06-2010

@MortifiedPhReak - Thanks. I was reluctant to post my build here. But I see a lot of new Udyr players struggling with him and just quitting to play him. I'm hoping this build will help them rediscover Udyr and finally see how much potential he has.

unjugon

08-06-2010

I have played Udyr a lot, and I just canīt see how you manage to win without cleanse or quicksilver sash, or without any HP or damage mitigation gear for that matter. You donīt even move that fast until T-Force, and it comes pretty late.