Can someone justify rushing AA staff on AP?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

smXho

04-01-2012

Apart from being a bad player?

Not sure why the downvotes, but i mean the staff and not just the tear. I can agree totally many champs does well with tear start, but then instead of a wota, rylais or sorc shoes, you go into archmage staff (as your very first item) and get 2 shot by any gap closer?

atlas304

04-01-2012

well, the staff scales off mana and since you level quicker youll reach your max mana quicker. for example, i randomly chose lux so at level 18 shell have 45 more ap just from its passive without casting any spells. so thats not really terrible.

if youre confident in your skills that you can play around the disadvantages it gives, it not a bad choice.

TEEAHMAT TOOSDEY

04-01-2012

Because champions like karthus can't just max it anyway right?
It's use is more limited but it is far from being on the "never ever use if serious" list.

EDIT: Reading further post, I misunderstood. I thought you were meaning that getting an AA at any point in the game was just bad. Though if that is what you mean than I still have to disagree since it can be useful on some champions who can in fact charge it.

Sentient23

04-01-2012

if i play orianna or another ap champ that really has the ability to spam spells, and has to in orianna's case, then i will usually get a tear and upgrade it later. i love the lane and map control an early tear gives orianna

edit: but yes there are very rare cases that will use an AA staff in dominion

inFe eD

04-01-2012

There is absolutely no justification. This is one of the few things that carries over perfectly from SR - rushing AA immediately marks you as a terrible player, only even moreso on Dominion. Even as one of your last items it's rather lackluster aside from on a few specific champs; Ryze/Kassadin/AP Blitzcrank come to mind.

Forestgreen02

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2012

Why would *any* champ rush it... Its 1k gold for upgrade for measly AP boost, until you get your tear wayy up. I haven't been able to max out a tear in a dominion game yet, closest I got was with Manamune with Blitz when I was spamming skills at 40% CDR and always punching stuff.

CommodoreSkippy

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2012

As far as I'm concerned: Ryze, the end.
There is already a ton of ambient mana regen, plus healthpacks to top you off. Yeah, some champs like Karthus and Orianna are naturally starved for mana, but they don't need the exorbitant amount given by archangel's. mp5 regen runes and pretty much any item that gives you mana or mana regen covers it.

Qmusic

04-01-2012

AA is not viable and should be removed. It's not even viable on ryze. Ryze need the catalyst for early game presence.

Nekrogen

04-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmusic View Post
AA is not viable and should be removed. It's not even viable on ryze. Ryze need the catalyst for early game presence.
He also needs tear for late game presence. Which order you get them is situational, but you need catalyst and tear to be useful at all stages of the game for Ryze. As far as AA is concerned, I've seen some people get it before fully getting odyn's/FH, but only as a damage amplifier since his E scales so well with AP. Always upgrade to AA if there is nothing left to get.

Dimwitt

04-01-2012

Short answer

No

Even on Ryze its never a rush item.

tear sure, AA hell no its the last item ill complete. Ill finish WoTA before AA.