Am I using Taric right?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Aesaura

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

04-01-2012

Level 7 newbie here. Just asking if this is an acceptable way of playing Taric. I haven't tried any ranked games yet.

Core Items when I'm in Co-op vs. Ai, Beginner.
Sapphire Crystal -> Tears of the Goddess -> Archangel's Staff -> Manamune.
Situational items are Nashor's Tooth and Deathfire Grasp.

Summoner Spells are: Heal and Ignite

Order of skills levelled:

R -> E -> Q -> W (Radiance, Dazzle, Imbue and Shatter)

Play-style.
Well, I try to stick with my lane partner, heal him when he's dying. Against minions, I use R then W. Against champions, W -> E -> R -> Deathfire Grasp and Ignite. This is what usually do, even if I'm by myself.

I'm pretty sure this goes here, I've only been playing for a day anyway.

Jorick

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-01-2012

Well, there are two ways you can play Taric. You can build him as a tank, or you can build him AP (Ability Power). You're doing an AP build, which means you're focused more on doing damage/healing than living longer and soaking up enemy damage. Most people consider AP Taric to be a silly build, with the tank build being the acceptable one, but he can work well with either. I haven't played a whole lot of AP Taric, but I can offer a few suggestions.

First of all, you shouldn't need either of the Tears of the Goddess items with Taric. His passive gives him mana back for every melee attack he makes. If you build a Nashor's Tooth, you should never be running out of mana unless you're blowing all of your spells as soon as they come off cooldown. If you like having the mana to spare anyway, you should avoid the Manamune and stick with Archangel's Staff alone. The mana gain passives on those two items are unique and do not stack with each other, so even if you have both of them in your inventory you'll only get a total of 1000 extra mana from them when fully stacked. You'll want the Staff over the other because AP benefits Taric more than the AD (Attack Damage) from Manamune.

As for other items, Nashor's Tooth is nice for Taric because attack speed is great for his passive and the cooldown reduction lets you explode people more often. I'm not a big fan of Deathfire Grasp because I'm lazy and don't like having to add another button to my combos, but if you're fine with that it's definitely a worthy purchase. Just be aware that cooldown reduction has a cap of 40%, so if you're building both Nashor's Tooth and Deathfire Grasp you should avoid buying anything else with CDR on it as you'll be spending gold on a wasted stat.

I'd suggest either Mercury Treads or Sorcerer's Shoes for an AP Taric's boots. Mercury Treads make you a little more resistant to magic damage and reduce the duration of stuns, slows, roots, etc. on you. Sorcerer's Shoes will make all your abilities hit harder. You should build a Rabadon's Deathcap at some point, it gives you a ton of AP and should be a core item for any AP build. Other items worth considering include anything with Ability Power on it and anything with Armor or Magic Resistance on it; the first for damage, the second to reduce physical damage (auto-attacks, some abilities) you take, and the last to reduce magical damage (most abilities) taken.

Your Summoner Spells are okay. You might want to consider swapping one out for Ghost to have a way to either catch up to the enemies or run away from them. At level 12 you might want to consider using Flash instead of Ghost, if you like having the escape/initiation tool. If you're trying to be a killing machine, drop Heal for one of the other spells, since Ignite is great for bursting someone down and you have a heal for yourself already.

For AP Taric you should get one point in your Dazzle early, but leave it at only one point for a while instead of maxing it first. Your main source of damage on your regular abilities is on your Shatter, so you should max that first. After that you can decide whether you need the heal more, or a lower cooldown stun. Your skill selections for levels 1-9 should look something like this:

E, W/Q, third ability, W, W, R, W, Q/E, W

Or, in English, take your stun first, then take the heal or Shatter depending on whether or not you need the healing at that moment, then grab whichever of those two you left for last, then max Shatter.

Throwing your heal at hurt allies is good, but don't forget to also stun and Shatter the enemy when you have a good opening. The R+W combo is great for exploding minion waves, just be careful of blowing your ultimate if it looks like a team fight might happen soon. As for your combo versus champions, if you're building a Deathfire Grasp you'll want to use that either first or right after your stun. Its damage is a percentage of the target's current health, so you want to use it when they're as close to max health as possible to get the most damage out of it. If possible you want to use your R before your W, since the passive effect of Radiance gives you bonus AP. DFG -> E -> R -> W -> Ignite is your optimal damage combo versus a champion.

Give my suggestions a try and you ought to see a marked improvement in your killing power with Taric. Have fun being fabulous.

Dera Mochimazzi

04-01-2012

I cant say much as youre too new to the game to understand the metagame. You probably barely understand the mechanics.

What i can say is that youre focusing way too much on building mana. Focus on one damage source, not building two mana related items to get both the ad and ap passives on those items.

Aesaura

Recruiter

04-01-2012

haha thanks. I'll try my hardest to kill them with absolute faboulosity.

Aesaura

Recruiter

04-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by GunPewPew View Post
I cant say much as youre too new to the game to understand the metagame. You probably barely understand the mechanics.

What i can say is that youre focusing way too much on building mana. Focus on one damage source, not building two mana related items to get both the ad and ap passives on those items.
That's probably cause I use my skills as much as possible :/

Vek17

04-01-2012

You can also play AD Taric

Dera Mochimazzi

04-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesaura View Post
That's probably cause I use my skills as much as possible :/
If youre having problems with mana, get a chalice of harmony (mana regen section). It should be enough to help you deal with your mana problems. You should also learn to spam less and only use your spells when its needed (for example a gank, or for harass)

Kirielis

04-01-2012

E is most useful for the stun, I think you've noticed that. But stun duration does not increase with levels. In other words, it's pretty much a one-point-wonder skill. Therefore I use R>W>Q>E. If I'm facing someone who's harassing a lot, R>Q>W>E helps a great deal with healing.

Khizan

04-01-2012

Take one level of the E to start with, then don't put any more into it until you have to. After that one point, R>>W>Q>E.

For summoner spells, I'd run Heal and Clarity. Clarity is an amazing spell for low-level gameplay, and it'll provide you with a ton of sustain that you'd otherwise be lacking. For masteries, use Summoner's Insight, Expanded Mind, and Meditation. Then keep working down the Utility tree.

tomususan

04-01-2012

R->Q->W->E
Philozopher stone ->Heart of gold -> Mercury threads <In mean time ward spam>, Aegis of legion,
Shurelia, Frozen heart, Omen/or this new item, banshee veil. and U got decent tank/support.
At least he can take a hit not like a **** soraka.

Take CV/Heal/Exhaust and flash.