Solo top Leona

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SaintDJ

03-31-2012

Need some tips on her, things like ability order and items.

Also, should I be going solo top if, say, a TF is on our team or a Tryn and we have no support?

Sokolniki

03-31-2012

I wouldn't solo lane with her. Yes, she's a nightmare to the enemy in that she can hold a target down as an ally nukes em down, but her individual damage is absolutely deplorable... this invites a lot of aggression on the opposing top laner if they understand that as long as they can take the first 2 seconds of Leona's hits, they will be able to quickly trade favorably against her. That being said, I've seen 2-1-2 arrangements where she gets put into a double stun top for devastating results by zoning out the enemy bruiser while her lane partner last and freezes the lane. As a double stun lane, the jungler will not want to gank the lane.

Mezmrick

03-31-2012

I hate to solo Leo because it's such a waste of her passive. It's a great harassing tool when your carry pops off one hit after you get your passive off. Or for clearing creep waves with a carry that has an aoe like Cait or Ashe, one of the few ways to support your carry in getting more CS.

Powerstoned

03-31-2012

at no point should leona be soloing a lane.

acosn

03-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerstoned View Post
at no point should leona be soloing a lane.
This is not entirely true, though she isn't a good pick for fighting anyone with even reasonable sustain.

But if someone picked, say, Kassadin and the enemy team responded with a meta-breaker like Talon it wouldn't be a bad idea to send Leona as the, "I'm not a strong pick but I wont feed and I set up decent ganks" pick.

That said, its not really about gear- obviously you should run sustain oriented builds but teleport is still a must for her because her gear needs can change critically at a fast pace- or skills. Q and E still drop in CD from leveling, W only gains marginal improvements in mitigation (10 armor and MR. How much does rammus's armor / MR steroid give again? Oh right) per level and weakish damage.

Ultimately you'd prioritize W and E so that you can make a reasonable farmer.

Powerstoned

03-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by acosn View Post
This is not entirely true, though she isn't a good pick for fighting anyone with even reasonable sustain.

But if someone picked, say, Kassadin and the enemy team responded with a meta-breaker like Talon it wouldn't be a bad idea to send Leona as the, "I'm not a strong pick but I wont feed and I set up decent ganks" pick.

That said, its not really about gear- obviously you should run sustain oriented builds but teleport is still a must for her because her gear needs can change critically at a fast pace- or skills. Q and E still drop in CD from leveling, W only gains marginal improvements in mitigation (10 armor and MR. How much does rammus's armor / MR steroid give again? Oh right) per level and weakish damage.

Ultimately you'd prioritize W and E so that you can make a reasonable farmer.
I'm not saying Leona can't survive or farm solo at all, she's a great survivalist, but she's not a solo killing machine, and all her abilities are "balanced" down, because normally she's got a very strong passive.

Soloing a lane completely takes away her passive, which when used right, is one of the strongest early-mid game passives in the game. If Leona's top, that means only after some 12-20+ minutes in the game will she rejoin her teammates in teamfights, which is about when her passive's dmg begins to tail off.

You are gimping yourself, and your teammates are foolish to force or even ask a leona solo. Leona herself deserves an apology if you try and do that to her.

Cenerae

04-01-2012

The only lane Leona really fits in is bot lane as a support.

Yes, you -can- solo top to some degree against weaker laners, but she doesn't offer enough to the team with farm to be worth playing her there. People don't solo champs like Cho'gath just so they can sit on their butts and farm lots of tank items, they expect them to be useful as damage dealers later on. Leona can never do that because she has horrid AP ratios on her kit with no AD steroids.