Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Nidalee Guide!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ectb

03-30-2012

There's a lot of controversy over possible itemization for Nidalee. Put it simply, AD nidalee is a bruiser type who deals damage mainly in cougar form; AP Nidalee has the most powerful poke AND one of the best heals in the whole game. The best option here often depends on your team composition: if your team lacks tanky DPS, AD Nidalee is the way to go; if your team has a strong initiator, a meat shield, and a glass cannon DPS, AP Nidalee is better.

This guide focuses on AP Nidalee.

Pre game set-ups: Runes, mastery, and summoner spells

I get flat AD runes for easier last hitting and better harassment in lane, because her only reliable source of damage in lane is ranged auto attacks. For masteries I get something like 21/9/0, with focus on AP; generally speaking, runes are there to boost early game advantage, mastery is used to enhance late game damage.

Summoner spells are pretty straight forward: flash+ignite. Ghost can be used in place of flash, it's personal. With flash you can get away easily from incoming ganks; ignite allows you to grab kills a lot easier in lane.

Early game: skill order + items:

I always get bush whack at level 1 in order to lock the river and brush (river brush AND side brush). After that I max E and Q concurrently, and get R at level 6.

My first items are boots+2 health pots+1 mana pot. Boots allow me to 1) get away from ganks 2) dodge skillshots 3) kite meelees. Sometimes I used health pot to heal instead of E in order to save mana.

Concentrate on last hitting and harassing with auto attacks; don't bother tossing spears before level 8 because it won't do enough damage for its mana cost. Always lay down traps near the river mouth; every failed attempt to gank you will significantly set back the enemy jungler.

Try to keep the minion wave half way between the river and your tower, so that you won't have to overextend, and you won't lose those last hits to the tower.

Mid game: core items and game play

When you hit level 6, you can clear minion waves faster, and you'll become the most mobile character in the game. Take advantage of that to frequently gank other lanes. Initiate with the spear, then immediately jump to and nuke down your victim, ignite if necessary.

As far as core items are concerned, I rush Tears of Godess for two reasons: 1. AP Nidalee is mana intensive, you need those extra mana for constant spear tossing, trap placements, and constant healing. 2. Tears builds into Archangel staff, which provides TONS of damage. Furthermore, Nidalee can fill up mana stacks extremely fast.

Rod of ages is the next item you want. You want to get RoA as early as possible to take the full advantage of its passive. It costs 3050 gold, but the stats it provides are more than you could wish for.

Core items:
1. Sorcerer's shoes (very cheap item for extra mobility and damage)
2. Tears of godess (builds into AA staff)
3. Rod of ages (gives you everything you need: AP+HP+MP)

End game:

You should roam with your team, lay traps at key bushes and choke points, and toss spears at squishy ones. You can even steal baron with your 1K spear.

You should spend most of the time in Human form; occasionally you should change to cat form in order to 1. escape 2. burst down squishies 3. get back to your team from a distance 4. clear minion waves

Items are standard for AP carries:
1. Sorcerer's shoes
2. Archangel staff
3. Rod of ages
4. Rabadon's deathcap
5. Void staff
6. Situational: Archangel staff (for maximum spear damage) /Rylai's sceptor (for those massive slows with spears and traps) /Lichbane (gives more burst damage in Cougar form)

Finishing note:

AD Nidalee and support Nidalee are equally viable, but they require different game plays and different team compositions.

ectb

03-30-2012

Bump!

ectb

03-30-2012

This guide focuses on AD Nidalee.

I get flat AD runes for easier last hitting and better harassment in lane, because her only reliable source of damage in lane is ranged auto attacks. For masteries I get something like 21/9/0, with focus on AD;

Summoner spells are pretty straight forward: flash+ignite. Ghost can be used in place of flash, it's personal. With flash you can get away easily from incoming ganks; ignite allows you to grab kills a lot easier in lane.

I always get bush whack at level 1 in order to lock the river and brush (river brush AND side brush). After that I max E for maximum healing, and get R at level 6.

My first items are boots+2 health pots+1 mana pot. Boots allow me to 1) get away from ganks 2) dodge skillshots 3) kite meelees. Sometimes I used health pot to heal instead of E in order to save mana.

Concentrate on last hitting and harassing with auto attacks; don't bother tossing spears before level 8 because it won't do enough damage for its mana cost. Always lay down traps near the river mouth; every failed attempt to gank you will significantly set back the enemy jungler.

Try to keep the minion wave half way between the river and your tower, so that you won't have to overextend, and you won't lose those last hits to the tower.

When you hit level 6, you can clear minion waves faster, and you'll become the most mobile character in the game. Take advantage of that to frequently gank other lanes. Simply jump towards your victim from behind/side and nuke him down with the help of your allies. If you don't feel like ganking, you can (and should) focus on farming as much as possible, so that you can get items faster than the enemy.

As far as core items are concerned, I rush phage for its health, AD, and slow procs; Vamp sceptor is also great for lane durability; you can have either Mercury treads or Ninja tabi as your boots, depending on the enemy team composition.

Core items:
1. Mercury treads / Ninja tabi (boosts your early game tankiness)
2. Phage (the slow proc allows you to kite the enemy with ranged attack)
3. Wriggle's lantern (provides infinite lane sustain AND a free ward)

End game:

You should spend most of the time in Cougar form; occasionally you should change to human form in order to 1. heal 2. burst down towers 3. lay down traps. You CAN auto attack in human form, but you're going to be out ranged by traditional ranged carries; whereas in cougar form you're able to 1) receive more damage 2) deal more damage 3) jump non-stop

You're also an excellent solo pusher, but only do it when your team doesn't need you in fights.

Items:
1. Mercury treads / Ninja tabi
2. Frozen mallet
3. Atmas impaler
4. Infinite edge
5. Blood thirster
6. Situational: Last whisper (for tank shredding) /Guardian angel (for a second life) /Banshee's veil (great item against a CC heavy team)

ectb

03-30-2012

Bump!

jaMx

03-30-2012

guides and strategy page or solomid.net

general chat is not the place for this

And some (hopefully constructive) criticism on your guide
AP nidalee is currently a lower tier champion, her spears are usually unreliable when any team fights start to happen and burst as well as overall sustained damage is kind of weak compared to other AP champions. AP nidalee is pretty viable in dominion though. Even if it was viable your item selection is poor. Arch angel staff is a terrible item for AP nidalee, starting item mana pot is questionable, and if you want to get rod of ages get it first so it builds fastest. Also, I don't understand why you wouldn't eventually build a lichbane on nidalee.

AD nidalee is a much better choice, but your item selection is pretty poor. Guides usually fall apart because the main thing you want to do is counter whoever you are laned against or pick items based on their team composition. For example if you are laned against a riven you will probably want to start with cloth armor + 5 pots and build into wriggles->ninja tabi->phage->tri force. If you are laned against rumble you would probably need to start with boots + 3 health pots and build into heavier magic resist.

ectb

03-30-2012

This guide focuses on Support Nidalee.

I get magic penetration runes and flat AP runes for stronger heal and meaner spears. For masteries I get something like 21/0/9, with focus on AP; The reason I don't use 0/9/21 is because unlike most support, Nidalee has the potential to deal serious damage with her spear. She also has great farming capability in cougar form, which allows her to catch up in gold past laning phase.

Summoner spells are pretty straight forward: flash+CV. Ghost can be used in place of flash, it's personal. With flash you can get away easily from incoming ganks; CV boosts your already strong map control.

I always get bush whack at level 1 in order to lock the river and brush (river brush AND side brush). After that I max E and Q concurrently, and get R at level 6.

My first item is Doran's ring, which gives me the much needed mana regeneration, as well as substantial amounts of health and AP to start with.

Have your brush controlled with traps, and push the lane a bit if you need to keep minions away from YOUR tower; harass constantly with auto attacks, and toss your spear if it's a sure hit. Heal your partner, and always lay down traps near the river mouth; every failed attempt to gank will significantly set back the enemy jungler.

When you hit level 6, you become very mobile, which allows you to do some burst in meelee range. If your partner has gone back, you should focus on farming as much as possible so that you can get items faster than the enemy.

As far as core items are concerned, I rush Sorcerer's shoes for extra mobility and damage, and a second or even a third Doran's ring for more bonus health and AP. Eventually I will sell all of the Doran's rings for Rod of ages.

Core items:
1. Sorcerer's shoes
2. Doran's ring
3. Doran's ring
4. Doran's ring

End game:

You should roam with your team, lay traps at key bushes and choke points, and toss spears at squishy ones. You can even steal baron with your 1K spear.

You should spend most of the time in Human form; occasionally you should change to cat form in order to 1. escape 2. burst down squishies 3. get back to your team from a distance 4. clear minion waves

Items are standard for AP carries, but the game rarely lasts long enough for a support to fully itemize:
1. Sorcerer's shoes
2. Rod of ages
3. Rabadon's deathcap
4. Void staff