Top 10 Champs for Ranked Games

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

More 2 This Life

03-30-2012

I am now 28 and trying to get champions so i dont get pwnd too bad when I enter ranked games in a few days. I have 15 champs now, been playing a little over a month.

I know you can make a case for each champion if played correctly is good in ranked games. But in the more exp players minds what are the top 10 champions to have?

Thanks

LordPopple

03-30-2012

I think it is safe to say Lee Sin and Udyr are incredibly dominant picks for jungle or top lane. They are incredibly versatile in terms of what they can offer their team.

I think it is also very safe to say Janna is an incredibly powerful support while the "sustainy" supports (Soraka, Sona, Alistar) are still incredibly strong bottom lane.

And of course Dr. Mundo and Shyvanna are ripping up the jungle right now with some of the fastest clear times out there, although I'm starting to see a lot more of Nautilus and Jarvan due to their god like ganking ability.

Other that that I think it is kind of up in the air. There are a ton of strong picks for every lane. I think the most important thing is to have a variety of champs you can play every position with. That is why I would recommend champs like Udyr or even Alistar that can play at least two different roles proficiently, and ideally aren't often first picks are bans, so you always have at least one character to play you are comfortable with.

Being able to play a champ well is far more important that having a champ that is "good." Every champ has strengths and weaknesses, some more polarizing than others, but if you know how to manage them and use your champion effectively it rarely matters.

Jorick

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-31-2012

I'd say the best way to go about a top 10 champions list is to grab 2 of each major role. I'll suggest what I would consider the top picks for each, but this is more based on opinion than fact.

AD carry: Graves and Ashe. Graves is a very strong all-around AD carry, a little tankier than most with good area damage and some nice utility. Ashe does less damage than most of the others who fill her role, but the utility power of her slow, her Hawkshot, and her ultimate can make up for that.

Support: Soraka and Janna. Soraka is basically a portable supply of health and mana potions for the AD carry, decently powerful even after nerfs and can support anyone well. Janna is similar in that she can work with anyone, but she has no heals; her shield, tornado knockup, slow, and area knockback ultimate make her the queen of utility whereas Soraka is queen of sustain.

AP mid lane: Morgana and Ahri. Morgana is just ridiculously strong right now, so much so that she's usually banned from what I've seen, but she's worth learning for those times that she isn't. Ahri is another strong pick, though most skillshot reliant. Honestly, this is probably the category most open to alterations in the top 2 picks, there are just so many AP champions to choose from.

Solo top: Warwick and Vladimir. Both are heavy sustain champions that work well in top lane, though both also have fairly weak early games. However, if you can get to level 6 without getting killed, neither of them can really lose a 1 on 1 fight against most solo top picks.

Jungle: Lee Sin and Udyr. Strong picks that work in almost any team composition. Both have a nice balance of jungle clear times, counter-jungling power, and ganking strength.

th3inf4mou5

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-31-2012

chamions with AOE abilities are the best!
tanks: amumu, galio, nunu
ad carry: fiora, twitch, jarvan, wukong
ap: katarina, fiddlesticks, morgana, anivia

Jorick

03-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by th3inf4mou5 View Post
chamions with AOE abilities are the best!
tanks: amumu, galio, nunu
ad carry: fiora, twitch, jarvan, wukong
ap: katarina, fiddlesticks, morgana, anivia
Only Twitch and Fiora are really AD carries, of those you listed. And if you're suggesting AD champions with lots of AoE, how could you forget Shyvana? :P

Skagwatcher

03-31-2012

Shyvana isn't an AD carry, she is a bruiser. Twitch is actually an AD carry and Fiora=Master Yi. Really freaking fast and will mince any squishy.

Jorick

03-31-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skagwatcher View Post
Shyvana isn't an AD carry, she is a bruiser. Twitch is actually an AD carry and Fiora=Master Yi. Really freaking fast and will mince any squishy.
Yep, I'm well aware that she isn't a carry, but he already had Wukong and Jarvan on his AD list so I figured I'd add another brusier with heavy AoE damage to it.

Burbinator

03-31-2012

Mundo/udyr for fast clears and counterjungle. Jungle shyv is probably outclassed by jungle mundo in almost all cases considering post nerf. Lee is a great jungle if you want fast and effective ganks. A skilled jungle alistar is also incredibly scary for a team to see, as his ganks are OP.

ad carry: corki, trist, graves are pretty good all around picks. Don't recommend ashe because she lacks escape and strong laning power.

Mid: ahri is really good overall and strong roamer, cass has high sustained dps. Lots of options here: morg, anivia, kennen also strong picks.

top lane: warwick, riven (both of whom can also jungle), rumble all powerhouses in top lane. Kennen/vlad work well against lots of the melee types who like to go top (but not vs riven most likely)

fiora is bad, master yi is better in ranked as a jungler actually. Fiora might be a better top but is still bad. Don't know why you guys are listing melees as AD carries though