Elo range way too big?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Squirrrtle

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-29-2012

Just wondering how many people have experienced losing a large amount of elo (I'm talking 200-300) then just gaining it back again? I topped at 1978 this season and have played over 1000 games so far this season. I feel like a major issue with the elo system is that the range is way too big and somewhat uncalled for. I have lost 200 elo from 1978 then gained nearly all of it back in a matter of two weeks. After I gained it nearly all back, I ended going on a massive elo loss again, then proceeded to take a break from the game. I'm fairly certain that I will gain my elo back probably slowly and surely back to 1900+ again. But I'm just wondering if you guys think the elo range is just too significant for someone who has played alot of games? I also had another friend who topped at 2022 and dropped to 1720, which is even more ridiculous.

Point is, I feel like this is a major flaw with the elo system. I feel like for someone who doesn't play on tilt, your elo should rise slowly as you continue to play more games, because you're suppose to be slowly ever improving right? However, that is definitely the case, and if your elo is able to fluctuate this much, there is definitely something that needs to be fixed. 300 elo is approximately 24 games for those of you who want to know, and the difference between 2000 elo and 1700 elo is HUGE. What do you guys should be done to the elo system next season to possibly correct this problem? I certainly think elo should not be able to fluctuate this much, especially if you know that you play at a consistent level.

Jappleack

03-29-2012

I was thinking of making a thread just about this.

I completely agree with you, there should be some sort of net for a lack of a better term to catch you from your fall into the abyss. Especially since one loss means you have to win 2 in a row just to turn that 'loss' into a 'win' in terms of elo gain.

In other words, I think it is too easy to fall compared to rising up. Not to say that rising up should be easy, but if you maintain a certain elo for say 2 weeks then you shouldn't be able to drop 1 month worth of elo in a week.

Zerithan24

03-29-2012

I agree about the one lose = two win's for elo gain, slowly but surely watch your win/loss ratio, once it's past 50% you will have your small increase out of "elo hell"

TPhamous

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zerithan24 View Post
I agree about the one lose = two win's for elo gain, slowly but surely watch your win/loss ratio, once it's past 50% you will have your small increase out of "elo hell"
lol they're not in elo hell

kthnxbai

Recruiter

03-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPhamous View Post
lol they're not in elo hell
the region below 2k IS Elo hell

Ko Hakoo

03-29-2012

Not sure how you prevent streaks... That's all you are experiencing and that is something that is unavoiable without stacking the system against it.

Jappleack

03-29-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthnxbai View Post
the region below 2k IS Elo hell
Well I am at a point where I win about 8 in 10 games, so I wouldn't say that I am in elo hell. And if elo hell is above me, then that doesn't make any sense at all. Indeed, if elo hell is a point where I can't carry and it is above my current elo, then that isn't elo hell, that is where I belong.

DoctorMcPain

03-29-2012

Everyone with experience in ranked has lost good chunks of Elo.

Scila

03-29-2012

i finished season 1 with 1530 elo dropped to 1100 then went up to 1600 dropped to 1200 and right now im at 1400 elo gaining elo when i soloq and lose some when i duo.

Squirrrtle

03-29-2012

I'm just saying that the range between your highest elo should not be anywhere near 300 elo. How can someone be a 2000 elo player one day, then 2 weeks later they are now a 1700 elo player (this happened to one of my friends, he is now back at 1900)? I don't know how Riot intends to fix this error in the matchmaking system, but I'm fairly sure anybody who has played a large amount of games know that your elo can (and most likely will) fluctuate over a given range of 300 in the next 100 games you play.