[Guide] AP Spike Kassadin

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Senate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-27-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomatoBisque View Post
Null Sphere gets about 0.7 damage per point of AP, Force Pulse gets 1 (which is insane since it's a cone AoE that also slows on a ~4s cd), and Riftwalk is like... 0.4? Fairly low.

Oh, and I can now 100% confirm that Riftwalk applies the Rylai's slow.
Honestly Riftwalk is a terrible AP spell. You don't need any AP at all to take advantage of it's insane mutliplier, and the AP scaling it's self dosen't get multiplied as you spam the move.

Of course that would be way over powered.

TomatoBisque

Adjudicator

10-27-2009

Yeah, especially with last hitting with Mejaj. Build up a bunch of stacks in base, Teleport into a fight, and start one shotting people while getting mana back.

Bait

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-28-2009

force pulse is rigged as hell in team battles. uber slow, aoe, massive damage, 5 sec cd.

and for items, i like to rush rod of ages then get a sheen. when you have a rod of ages, you don't care so much about ap but that you have the stamina to chase down your opponents. riftwalk combos well with sheen anyway.

Kharnath

10-28-2009

Sheen on Kassadin...? Gross...

Holepuncher

10-28-2009

After a lot of trial and error I agree with the OP's comments about health, mana, and AP being the most important traits for Kassadin. -CD can be nice, but I would only go for it as my 5th or 6th item. Regen per second items on Kassadin are really not necessary with recall, teleport, and boots of mobility allowing you to heal up and get back into the fight extremely quickly.

Here's the item build I'm currently using:

-catalyst (early hp/mana boost and semi-regular regen while you level up quickly)
-boots of mobility (after using AP boots for quite a while, I tried these once and never looked back)
-rod of ages (the earlier you get this item, the more time you get to play with its full benefits)
-mejai's soulstealer (same as above: earlier you get it, more time you can use it's full benefits)
-zhonya's ring (will boost your 200ish AP to 400ish, and will give you all the mana you could ever need)

At this point the game is usually close to ending. One item I haven't yet got a chance to play with is deathfire grasp. -10% hp to nearby enemies on casting sounds really great, especially in late game where 10% can be as much as 300-400 dmg. Does anyone have any experience using this?

The Senate

10-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
Sheen on Kassadin...? Gross...
Agreed. I wrinkle my nose at Kassadins who run around with items like Sheen and Chalice. They're items that seem good at a glance, and make sense on paper, but made worthless due to the superior alternatives.

Trust me, once you get over items like Sheen and Chalice and **** like that, and you see how much better getting Catalyst and Soulstealer is.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holepuncher View Post
After a lot of trial and error I agree with the OP's comments about health, mana, and AP being the most important traits for Kassadin. -CD can be nice, but I would only go for it as my 5th or 6th item. Regen per second items on Kassadin are really not necessary with recall, teleport, and boots of mobility allowing you to heal up and get back into the fight extremely quickly.
Exactly. Kassadin is an expensive caster, especially if you want to be blinking around and causing confusion. You're just not going to be a sustainable fighter on your own, and you can't always rely on teammates. It's just so much better to go with a speedy travel time and a large mana/health reserve.

And -CD works into that. If you prioritize -CD and rush an item like Frozen Heart, yeah I guess that's neat, but you actually hurting your mana supply. Kassadin's moves are already so short, why spend so much gold on shaving fractions of a second off of his moves? You just burn through your mana faster that way. With Kassadin, it's ALWAYS better to go with more hurt per spell then shorter wait between casts. You're ruining your spike damage, just go play somebody DPS.

Quote:
-catalyst (early hp/mana boost and semi-regular regen while you level up quickly)
People say that catalyst isn't useful because you can't rely on leveling up. That's total bull****. Cataylst is good enough to let you stay on par with the champions that have regen items or healing abilities, but then turns into an item that's more viable to your champion late game. What's not to love?

Quote:
-boots of mobility (after using AP boots for quite a while, I tried these once and never looked back)
I tear my hair out over this. I swear, people give up +3 move speed outside of combat for 33+ weak ass AP. I just don't get it.

[quote=Kharnath;235122]-rod of ages (the earlier you get this item, the more time you get to play with its full benefits)
Quote:
-mejai's soulstealer (same as above: earlier you get it, more time you can use it's full benefits)
I do this the other way around. Typically I'll finish my Soulstealer with +1 boots and a Catalyst. Sometimes I'll have boots of mobility first, just depending on whatever.

Remember that Rod of Ages only takes 15 minutes to get to full power, so waiting just a little bit longer is worth it in the long run. So far though, you're almost spot on how ideally see Kassadin played. (Which is really good, considering that people can do good with Lichbane builds.)

Quote:
-zhonya's ring (will boost your 200ish AP to 400ish, and will give you all the mana you could ever need)
At this point I almost always go Rylai's first. You get a slow that helps your team late game, you get 80 AP to push you close to 300, and you get a metric ****load of health. The more health you have, the better. Plus, after you get Soulstealer, your mana problems are pretty much solved provided you have the right damage output. It's really tough for me to want to spend money on a Sage's Ring after I get Soulstealer.

But again, at this point it really dosen't matter. How you play Kassadin in the beginning is the real key.

Quote:
One item I haven't yet got a chance to play with is deathfire grasp. -10% hp to nearby enemies on casting sounds really great, especially in late game where 10% can be as much as 300-400 dmg. Does anyone have any experience using this?
It was so bugged when it came out. It wasn't unique so they had to pull it. Anybody could just stack them and do crazy huge amounts of damage. I didn't even play until they fixed it.

That aside, it could be an awfully interesting item on Kassadin. I'm not sure Deathfire is going to be nearly as good when it comes out though.

ALL MY REPLYING ASIDE, I'm rewriting large chunks of the guide to make sure people know to prioritize Soulstealer over Zhonya's. I'm also adding a really big hints, tips, and tricks section that will tell you a lot of really neat **** about Kassadin.

Kharnath

10-28-2009

I told you I was right about the Soulstealer!! Bahahaha

I think our only disagreements are the boots and summoner spells. I never spend much time laning and smite becomes useless for the most part after the fact.

Boots of mobility are great, but not my thing.

Still a great guide though. Too many people pick of kassadin and kind of flop around and die a lot.

PROTIP- Be careful with your Riftwalk and Force Pulse combo; if you use Force Pulse too quickly during a Riftwalk and kind of just splurges around randomly and will likely not hit anything. (It's because Kassadin still travels across the distance between where you are and the targeted area, using it too quickly will cause it to go off while still traveling.)

The Senate

10-28-2009

ADDED TIPS SECTION!

UPDATE TO ITEM GUIDE TO COME

SOLO LANE GUIDE TO COME

GOOD LANE PARTNERS BREAKDOWN TO COME

Stay tuned folks, I'm here to spread the gospel of my favorite Champion. If I can be known for saying any one thing, it would be this:

Riftwalk is your balance of power,
Your sword that smites.
And your boots that flee to fight another day.

Tarion

10-28-2009

I've been having a few issues.

I just don't find Catalyst good enough. Any suggestions for working in some actual regen for the early game?

The Senate

10-28-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarion View Post
I've been having a few issues.

I just don't find Catalyst good enough. Any suggestions for working in some actual regen for the early game?
You don't want regen for early game. You want max health and mana. Catalyst gives you the best of both worlds while staying sustainable enough to play against people with regen or healing abilities.

Trust me, keep trying Catalyst. You'll get the hang of it. If not, try to get the Golem buff. Mana potions also work.