[Guide] AP Spike Kassadin

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Senate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-24-2009

Okay, I need to make some changes.

I'm going back on my idea that Zhonya's Ring is worth it. I toyed with it for a little while, but I think I'm incorrectly pressing it's importance.

Don't get me wrong, a Kassadin with a Cataylst, Boots and a Ring is beasty, but the mana-steal properity of Soulstealer is more important as you move later into the game.

Try this for some results:

Catalyst -> Boots -> Soulstealer -> Boots of Mobility -> Rod of Ages -> Rylai's -> anything, really.

As for Smite, I use it as the pseudo-carry ability Kassadin lacks. Though he behaves (at times) a lot like a carry, he never quite has the cost/time effective farming or increased income that other carry's can sport.

I just take it because nothing else really stands out.

Clense is terrible with Kassadin. If you're playing the champion right, you very rarely end up in situations where Clense would of saved your life. I've tried it at least five or six times and I've never had any use for it.

Exhaust is alright, but not spectacular. I've played quite a few matches with Exhaust, I used to prefer it. I noticed a tread, though. Even with Exhaust, I still had to wait for Riftwalk. Exhaust gets you a couple early assists, depending on your lane partner, but it dosen't change the fact that you can't gank for **** until you get Riftwalk.

That's why I switched to Smite. Simple logic.

Kassadin's effectiveness has a massive increase at level 6. Being such, a Kassadin who can get to level 6 with more money, faster, and safer is a more effective Kassadin.

EDIT: Somebody said Rylai's isn't worth it on Kassadin. I beg to differ. Rylai's makes Null Sphere even more nasty. Rylai's gives you the health you haven't been getting on your other items, and a huge chunk of AP for your late game damage. Can anybody confirm or deny that Rylai's procs from Riftwalk?

Kharnath

10-24-2009

Soulstealer is <33

Like I said before; it's the best possible item for Kass imo. Especially when riftwalk spamming.

I don't know why you don't think Kass is a carry :P His damage output is disgusting.

I never take smite because I never rely on creeps for gold income, my laning phase is usually incredibly short. And Exhaust always gets me a few early kills.

We both have our methods though. Haha.

The Senate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

10-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
I don't know why you don't think Kass is a carry :P His damage output is disgusting.
High damage output doesn't necessarily mean carry. He dosen't need to farm gold for as many items as a typical carry does, thus he dosen't require a solo lane's worth of income like a typical carry would.

Kassadin's place in the game is very unique.

If Twitch is to physical what Eve is to AP, then Jax is to physical what Kassadin is to AP. That's the closest I could compare to Kassadin's unique champion slaying niche.

Jvstice

10-25-2009

This is probably Noobic, but I don't remember Kass's abilities being benefited by AP according to the in-game tooltips for them. I know the website says Sphere and Pulse are buffed, but I trust the in-game tips.

Anyway, that isn't my main point since all the l33ts take it for granted that AP does works with Kass. My main point was that Rod of Ages doesn't appear to have any "Unique" characteristics. If that's the case, then couldn't you just stack them like crazy and thus perfectly fulfill the health/mana/AP build described here? The maxed bonuses look huge, assuming you can get enough of these early enough to make it all count up properly.

5dSebGXTqVW0SygW

10-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Senate View Post
Okay, I need to make some changes.

Catalyst -> Boots -> Soulstealer -> Boots of Mobility -> Rod of Ages -> Rylai's -> anything, really.
I agree more on that build, but I still think you're buying rylai too fast. Imo this build has too few ap to do serious burst damage. I would rather buy zhonyas or lich bane instead of rylai. As I said before, its hp and ap is good, but slow is unnecessary and this item is too expensive for bonuses it provides.

I would rather build like that :
Catalyst -> ap Boots -> Soulstealer -> Rod of Ages -> zhonyas -> rylai if u need hp or lichbane -> rylai/lichbane
Note that I haven't tested boots of mobility yet so I don't know if they are useful.

I take back what I said about smite. It certainly helps him get some gold early and grab golem buff fast. Still don't know if it is better that just getting heal/fort.
Also I am almost sure that rylai procs on riftwalk.

The Senate

10-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jvstice View Post
This is probably Noobic, but I don't remember Kass's abilities being benefited by AP according to the in-game tooltips for them. I know the website says Sphere and Pulse are buffed, but I trust the in-game tips.

Anyway, that isn't my main point since all the l33ts take it for granted that AP does works with Kass. My main point was that Rod of Ages doesn't appear to have any "Unique" characteristics. If that's the case, then couldn't you just stack them like crazy and thus perfectly fulfill the health/mana/AP build described here? The maxed bonuses look huge, assuming you can get enough of these early enough to make it all count up properly.
lol.

I learned how to play Kassadin doing exactly that. Stacking Rods of Ages over and over and over again. By the time you get to like two and a half of them, you become a total god.

It wasn't until they made Soulstealer give +5 AP on assists and they added Rylai's Staff to the game thatI made to switch away from Rod stacking.

It's perfectly viable, I just prefer to have the mana steal from Soulstealer and the extra slow from Rylai's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersl View Post
I agree more on that build, but I still think you're buying rylai too fast. Imo this build has too few ap to do serious burst damage. I would rather buy zhonyas or lich bane instead of rylai. As I said before, its hp and ap is good, but slow is unnecessary and this item is too expensive for bonuses it provides.

I would rather build like that :
Catalyst -> ap Boots -> Soulstealer -> Rod of Ages -> zhonyas -> rylai if u need hp or lichbane -> rylai/lichbane
Note that I haven't tested boots of mobility yet so I don't know if they are useful.

I take back what I said about smite. It certainly helps him get some gold early and grab golem buff fast. Still don't know if it is better that just getting heal/fort.
Also I am almost sure that rylai procs on riftwalk.
You don't need AP boots. That's 33 crummy points. The mobility will net you the gold you need to make up for that. It only takes one or two kills to get 860 gold and TADA! You already have a Blasting Rod that gives 7 more AP. Always go for ground speed on a ganking/killing/hunting champion like Kassadin.

Also, Kassadin's abilities work nicely with Rylai's. You can proc it's single target slow and it's area slow effectively. You underestimate how useful it is. Also, +80 AP is nothing to scoff about.

And yeah, I'm sure fort would help your team better, but I'm lazy. I just want to get to the point where Kassadin can kill faster and easier, that's why I use Smite.

5dSebGXTqVW0SygW

10-25-2009

Yes, ap boots are crappy but some early ap is nice and I have never seen anything more useful for him, probably mobility is better, have to try this out. Also with soulstealer and ap boots i have 100+ ap and ms 2, coupled with riftwalk this is usually enough to catch up to anyone and get some kills. Also with zhonyas these boots get a bit better. In the stage when you have boots 1 and soulstealer you have no problems to chase people and kill them ? I'm asking beacause I have yet to try you build in serious game.

Rylai is great item but I would rather grab it after zhonyas. If you get rylai you have nice hp, but I think you have too low ap and mana. Rod of ages gives kass some good hp already which I think is enough, imo you need more ap. In team fights when you get focused you can just riftwalk away and just jump in again unloading your combo. In my opinion he doesn't need that much hp.

The Senate

10-25-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersl View Post
Yes, ap boots are crappy but some early ap is nice and I have never seen anything more useful for him, probably mobility is better, have to try this out. Also with soulstealer and ap boots i have 100+ ap and ms 2, coupled with riftwalk this is usually enough to catch up to anyone and get some kills. Also with zhonyas these boots get a bit better. In the stage when you have boots 1 and soulstealer you have no problems to chase people and kill them ? I'm asking beacause I have yet to try you build in serious game.
You don't understand.

Boots of Mobility are not for chasing.

They're for traveling. Sometimes somebody fleshy is over-extending too far from his tower and you have a tiny window of opportunity before he gets scared off and goes to heal.

Chasing is never a problem, it's just getting to the ganks faster is what you want. Combine that with spammy blinking, and a good Kassadin can have a larger area of influence on the battlefield.

5dSebGXTqVW0SygW

10-26-2009

I was talking about chasing when you still haven't combined boots of mobility. Your inventory is : catylst, boots1, soulstealer. Can you chase with that ms and mana ?

Anyway I checked already and it works pretty good. Riftwalk is usually enough to chase even if you don't buy boots at all, and catalyst already gives enough mana to sustain some ritftwalking. Still I think this one has a bit too low ap but with this tons of hp that rylai gives you kassadin is pwning.
Good job.

Siveal

10-26-2009

Does Riftwalk put Kassadin into combat? If not, then I could see the reason for boots of mobility.