[Guide] AP Spike Kassadin

12345612 ... 15
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

The Senate

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by themortarkid View Post
quite surprised that lich's bane was mentioned nowhere in the guide....
Lich's Bane would be the next item after everything else I listed. I didn't list it because honestly matches probably won't last that long.

Also, Sheen being good on Kassadin is a myth. I always catch flak for this one. It's so easy to think Sheen is good on him, but it requires a much more in depth understanding of the champion to realize that it's not.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
I have to disagree on some points here... I'll work down the list...
So will I.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
First being your placing of -CD in terms of priority, I find it's one of Kassadin's most important stats; hitting the CD cap without the assistance (or CRUTCH) of the golem buff can be INTEGRAL to a Kassadin's success. 2.4 second Riftwalks and 3 second Force Pulses are nothing to sneeze at when they can be done at whim.
I never ever spend any gold on cooldown with the small exception of Elixers of Brillance. You can get all the cooldown Kassadin needs by Masteries and Runes, there's no reason to actually spend gold on it once you're in the game.

Are you suggesting I spend thousands of gold to shave off fractions of seconds off of Kassadin's abilities?
Not a single one of his moves recharges longer then 10 seconds.

Like I said before. -CD is okay, but it's not going to make Kassadin as effective as prioritizing AP, MP and HP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
Catalyst... I don't have a problem with inheritely, but its usefulness can deteriorate quickly depending on your early game. I usualy go with a Tear as a safe choice; but I can see this as a personal choice.
Catalyst adds max HP. Catalyst procs can save your life. Catalyst adds a new level of depth and strategy and planning.

Tear won't help you on the survivability side, which is one of the things that seperates a good Kassadin from a bad Kassadin. You need to be a late game tank.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
Boots, I've never found improved movement speed to be that big of an improvement to Kassadin. He is easily one of the best chasers in the game buck naked. You may see the 33 AP as minimal; but it packs a HUGE punch early game with Kassadins inheritely high AP ratios. Kassadin is INCREDIBLY maneauverable, slippery, and difficult enough to run from.
Boots of Mobility help you gank. Ganking gets you kills. By your first Blasting Rod you already have more AP then a Kassadin that takes +33 AP boots.

Also Sorcerer's Shoes are massively over-rated. I rush for Zhonya's Ring anyway, so I'll be getting all the AP I need from that. Why increase my traveling time for a pittance of AP?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
Soulstealer... this is my biggest issue here. I really can't understand why you would so quickly throw down what I feel is Kassadin's most important item. The ability to steal all of an enemy Champions mana on their death is HUGE. There's is nothing more satisfying then getting a quadra kill with nothing more than rift walk because each felled champion replenishes your mana.
The only reason to get soulstealer over Zhonya's ring is because of the mana steal. Other then that, Zhonya's gets you much needed mana and will max out to give you more AP by the end of the game then Soulstealer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
Your summoner spell choices are also curious to me, I can see the point; but exhaust has just always seemed more valiable. Exhaust gets you early kills and allows you to take down a physical carry with relative ease with the blind.
Kassadin with Smite can solo mid. Remember, I play Kass like a carry. Slow early game, exciting mid game, dominant late game. I don't need exhaust to get kills, I need Riftwalk to get kills. As far as I see it, Smite will get you Riftwalk faster and safer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kharnath View Post
There are a couple more minor things, but the guide for the most part is decent.
:P You could just say that you disagree with my build.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmecssRaege View Post
also i still highly prefer my 600+ AP kassadin build that is admittedly a lot squisher >.>; thats just my personal preference though, this build is definately better at taking a beating while still doling out some damage in return
Yeesh, how do you even need 600 AP on Kass? By end game, I'm barely over 300 and that's all I need.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kharnath

Senior Member

10-22-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by themortarkid View Post
quite surprised that lich's bane was mentioned nowhere in the guide....
I only get lichbane in those "why wont it end" games. I can see its usefulness but I've always seen the cost as too high for what other options are out there.

I do get it early on occasion if the other team is stacking resist.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

5dSebGXTqVW0SygW

Member

10-22-2009

I disagree with your build.

1. Catalyst is great starting item and this is the only point in your build i agree.

2. I don't see much sense in buying boots of mobility, they don't contribute in any way to his combat capabilities. As far as I understand they are supposed to help you travel between lanes and escape from ganks, but i don't think kass needs any help here. I think it's better to just grab boots of swiftness or ap boots.

3. Rushing zhonyas is bad idea imo. In the end it will give you 125 ap + 25% of runes/masteries ap. Total cost of zhonyas is 3695. Getting mejaj cost 1845 and gives you 70 ap + if you get kills you can get another 70 ap + mana steal. If i have ap boots and mejaj even without any charges I have 103 ap and about 2000k gold more. I think as kassadin before getting zhonyas you should get mejaj since its big ap boost for small price and kassadin really is good at getting kills so you have good chance of charging mejaj fast. Of course ring gives you ****loads of mana but imo you shouldn't have any mana problems if you are getting golem buff and manasteal.

4. Rylai is imo unneeded on kassadin. He doesn't really need slow since he can chase with riftwalk pretty good + he has low cooldown slow that just need spells to be cast near him to charge. I think you are better combining rod of ages at this point, it will give you hp, mana, and ap, thats all stats that kassadin needs. Of course rylai gives you much more hp and more ap at beginning but it is soooo expensive.

After rod you can buy whatever you want, games does not last that long usually anyway. I think next should be lichbane or some item that counters enemy team composition if it is unbalanced.
I think ap kassadin shouldn't be made into tank late game, I can still make considerable burst damage in team fights if I continue to build ap and imo rod is the all survivability he needs.
Also I disagree with smite, I don't see any use for it except getting golem fast(which imo is extremely important but you don't need smite to do this anyway). I think you are better getting cleanse, some team oriented spell like fortify, heal or even flash.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

themortarkid

Junior Member

10-23-2009

The great thing about -cd is the silence, being able to silence for 2 seconds every 5.4 or 5.6 or w/e it is seconds is almost certain death to any caster, and even screws with most non casters. Also, when your mana pool is 3-4k, rift walk->silence->force pulse->rift walk->silence->rift walk stacks up crazy damage with little or no chance for retaliation from the enemy. they can try to cast while silenced, or they can try to run while slowed and while you can blink, Or they can stay and take another 700-1k riftwalk(because you charged them before you initiated the attack) followed by another silence and force pulse if they even last that long. Ive only played kassy 3 times since accounts were reset, but those 3 times equal a K/D/A of 62/4/35. Best quote? "Since when is Kassadin God?"


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

themortarkid

Junior Member

10-23-2009

just tried the boots of mobility over AP boots---definitely a 100% agree that they rock.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kharnath

Senior Member

10-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by themortarkid View Post
The great thing about -cd is the silence, being able to silence for 2 seconds every 5.4 or 5.6 or w/e it is seconds is almost certain death to any caster, and even screws with most non casters. Also, when your mana pool is 3-4k, rift walk->silence->force pulse->rift walk->silence->rift walk stacks up crazy damage with little or no chance for retaliation from the enemy. they can try to cast while silenced, or they can try to run while slowed and while you can blink, Or they can stay and take another 700-1k riftwalk(because you charged them before you initiated the attack) followed by another silence and force pulse if they even last that long. Ive only played kassy 3 times since accounts were reset, but those 3 times equal a K/D/A of 62/4/35. Best quote? "Since when is Kassadin God?"
Agreed, I love -CD except I think my last game bugged because I hit the cap with only a frozen heart; unless Rift Walk has its own hard cap.

I tried a different build today, it was mostly for the purpose of surviving the Master Yi I was fighting. I was INCREDIBLY happy with the result. It's main benefit is really only felt against melee carries though.

The almost 80% damage redution made the Yi tickle. Nobody else was the least bit threatening.

I love the frozen heart, very cheap over-all for a large portion of mana, armor, an AoE auto attack slow, and that precious -25% CD


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

thegamenet

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

10-24-2009

nice guide Senate - I posted it on www.thelolwiki.com and gave you credit

Well done.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tarion

Senior Member

10-24-2009

I feel the need to ask about Smite. Its a single hit every what, 75 seconds? Does that really make a huge difference for laning? :/


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xocolatl

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

10-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tarion View Post
I feel the need to ask about Smite. Its a single hit every what, 75 seconds? Does that really make a huge difference for laning? :/
It's an almost guaranteed kill on the big creep (the cannon unit), netting you good money, and can help enormously for an early push. Therefore it has good synergy with some lower base dmg heroes. It also help a lot for early jungling--you can kill the golem pair at level 2, instead of at level 3 or 4.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tarion

Senior Member

10-24-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xocolatl View Post
It's an almost guaranteed kill on the big creep (the cannon unit), netting you good money, and can help enormously for an early push. Therefore it has good synergy with some lower base dmg heroes. It also help a lot for early jungling--you can kill the golem pair at level 2, instead of at level 3 or 4.
Having just played, I do see the benefit.

I also had no idea Kassadin had such ridiculous burst damage. Teleporting in, then QEing and most peoples health just fell away.


12345612 ... 15