@Reds What easter egg have I stumbled upon now?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lame One

03-29-2012

During a game of dominion, I was playing AD Malz bot, when I noticed... something on the health relic. To be honest, I thought it was just a death animation, because the strange green, ghost-like knight got on one knee and plunged both his swords into the ground (one in each hand) and vanished. I also caught sight of a flag. After a moment, however, I realized that I couldn't think of a single champ who had an animation like that, much less that appearance. So I went to the forums. And found one thread, but it seemed inconclusive. It had one picture, but, as you'll see, it wasn't what we needed.

http://imageshack.us/f/600/lolplant.png/

That's the one that the other thread had for an image. Now, it looks like a knight with a banner, but you can't tell much else.

Luckily, I use Lolreplay.

I wasn't sure if it would work, to be honest. Maybe it was a random event that the replay wouldn't preform. I don't know. But luckily, it did.

What you'll notice right away is that I was flat out wrong in many respects. For one, it held one sword, with a shield in the other hand. Also, it wasn't the tall knight I had remembered, but instead a smaller one, riding on some animal (a pig?).

So, Reds, what is this? A hint of an upcoming feature? Or more likely something that you planned, but canceled (like the Urf manatee ghost.)

But most importantly, I want to know what happened during that game to cause it to appear.

EDIT: Yes, I'm editing this right after I posted. While I had felt that the ghost looked familiar for some reason, I thought this was some misplaced familiarity. I kept associating it with rally. So I went and looked at promote and it's history, but came up dry. Then, moments after posting this, I realized why that looked so **** familiar.
Being an an avid LoL'er, I have browsed the wiki somewhat extensively. Most people, for instance, probably don't know that the magma chamber was planned to have teleport pads. Similarly, most people didn't know that the old promoted minion had a different model than the current one. In fact, it looks kinda like some guy on a mechanical pig... holding a flag much like that from rally...

So. New questions. One, in what patch was this added. Two, why? Was this to commemorate a long forgotten soldier? Or was it to hint that something like this could be coming back?

Stralucire

03-29-2012

Rider on a pig? Probably the ghost of Sejuani's Dom potential.

PeeeJay

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-29-2012

bump

Doctor Tam

03-29-2012

Oh now I see it. Yeah it must be a testament to old promote.

Lame One

03-29-2012

I'd love if people kept an eye out for this and gave a brief description of what happened around that time. I already know that you don't need to have the promote spell in the game. What IS required?

Phourc

03-29-2012

I'll post here if I ever see it ingame ^^

DaRatmastah

03-30-2012

As I understand it, Riot uses minions as "placeholders" for things like the health relics. They sit in the same place as the relic and I believe are used to calculate collision, but they're normally invisible. The game occasionally can bug out, though, and they'll be rendered visible.

AO Alt

03-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaRatmastah View Post
As I understand it, Riot uses minions as "placeholders" for things like the health relics. They sit in the same place as the relic and I believe are used to calculate collision, but they're normally invisible. The game occasionally can bug out, though, and they'll be rendered visible.
This. Riot isn't exactly known for being good coders. They tend to go with what's easy and make as many overlaps on their code as possible, without really writing any new.

What the above poster said seems like the most logical thing.

It's not that bad to code like that, but the problem is that it becomes hell for them to introduce new things (as can be seen by the lack of unique and new features in heroes or similar things), and it often leads to bugs and slow performance.

Commander Yordle

03-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AO Alt View Post
This. Riot isn't exactly known for being good coders. They tend to go with what's easy and make as many overlaps on their code as possible, without really writing any new.

What the above poster said seems like the most logical thing.

It's not that bad to code like that, but the problem is that it becomes hell for them to introduce new things (as can be seen by the lack of unique and new features in heroes or similar things), and it often leads to bugs and slow performance.
It's funny how you berate Riot for "going with what's easy" when you yourself don't even know what the coding for this game looks like.

If you know so much and it's so easy, then why don't you go and code your own MOBA?

AO Alt

03-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PretzelBagel View Post
It's funny how you berate Riot for "going with what's easy" when you yourself don't even know what the coding for this game looks like.

If you know so much and it's so easy, then why don't you go and code your own MOBA?
Never said it was easy for me. Just saying that it is obvious how they have failed in their coding. It is way too hard coded and this very thread confirms one of my suspicions.

If it were well coded we'd actually see new champion abilities much faster, and much more advanced skills instead of the same old. 50+ champions and there are basically no more than 20 skills that have been slightly modified. Everything done in this game could be done in the WC3 engine, which says a lot.

Just like you don't have to be a writer to know if the grammar in a book is good or bad, you don't have to be a programmer to know if the code is good or bad.