What distinguishes a pro support?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Tsuryuk

03-28-2012

So since I've started playing this, I realized I sucked @ last hitting so stop trying to play carry and started playing more supporting roles or tanking. I'm mehhh at tanking, could do a lot better but I can at least half ass it so my death or near death nets 2 or more kills usually. But I've been maining support usually in solo Q and so far, since I've picked up soraka over sona/alistar/jana, I've been winning with my teams every game so far (am lvl 28 atm so things might go down hill @ ranked or w.e lol). So my question is, how do you get noticed as a good or pro support? So far warding has become a second nature action I hardly ever have to think about now (compared to when I started I had no clue where to put a ward), have been saving members accross the map with Soraka's ult while laning in bottom and usually have 4 or less deaths. I've also been watching some high elo streams with soraka or other supports like leona and of course when I compare myself to it I make so many mistakes lol Just trying to refine my skills really to help out the team but also make sure my presence is known instead of the typical thoughts of a bush sitter (although I did start off like this when I first started playing support haha). Any information,thoughts, constructive criticism and videos etc etc are welcomed and thanks in advance.

gsai

03-28-2012

As Soraka there isn't much to disguish besides watching other lanes with her ult.

Tsuryuk

03-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsai64 View Post
As Soraka there isn't much to disguish besides watching other lanes with her ult.
what about other supports then? I'd like to be decent at more then 2 at least

DoctorMcPain

03-28-2012

Ward timing and placement, when to buy and what to buy, positioning, good initiation if you're able to initiate, good use of your CC.

You basically need to be as effective as possible with 0 items, it's not an easy task.

Machine Herald

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-28-2012

If you're serious about being a good support, read this guide:

http://www.snickersnacks.com/?p=853

It's lengthy, but it's worth the read if you ever want to play ranked.

TNine27

03-28-2012

Depends on the champ. Generally, good lane control, good communication, good peels for your Carry, and good warding/positioning.

HeartlessXiao

03-28-2012

The main things about improving as a support are things that are common to all roles. Positioning, mechanical skills, map awareness, warding, etc. Those things all improve with experience. Watching pro streams definitely helps as well, as it gives you a sense of the proper flow of a game. Just keep playing/ watching streams and you'll definitely improve!

gsai

03-28-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tsuryuk View Post
what about other supports then? I'd like to be decent at more then 2 at least
Janna has the highest skill-cap, as she requires you to know beforehand that the carry is going to take damage, rather than click to heal after. Her ult is very difficult to determine the proper time to use as it can potentially save the enemy team. She also has a skill-shot.

Alistar has a lot of tricks like his W->Q combo, it isn't exactly hard to pull off (with practice) but it does separate good Cow players from bad ones.

TimeLohrd

03-28-2012

The best support is the one no one notices until its too late

Vynzdrix

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-28-2012

Whenever I'm attempting to learn a new role, I just imagine the perfect version of that support. Like, if I wanted to learn support Soraka:

1. Tribrush and dragon are always warded when they need to be

2. All harassment/kill opportunities are taken

3. The carry is always protected to the maximum of your ability

4. Wish is always timed properly and you never miss one

5. Perfect positioning

6. Calling all timers on buffs/wards/etc

7. An in-depth knowledge of ward counterplay, vision wards, oracles etc.

Making a list like that is a great way to get started. A lot of those literally can be played perfectly so it's just a matter of getting into the habit. The rest is just learning situations, which takes time.