Split pushing

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Salsa

05-19-2013

I've been playing league for a while and I've always wondered what it meant by successfully split pushing? will someone please be so kind and explain to me how to successfully split push?

StealthyGunnar

05-19-2013

Split pushing revolves around the idea of your team keeping the attention of the enemy team while one of your teammates is pushing a lane (usually one of the side lanes) as far and as fast as they can before the enemy team realizes what's happening and comes after them.

EDIT: The idea is to stall the enemy team at some location while one of your teammates pushes a lane takes a tower or two and maybe an inhibitor.

TeknoWizard

05-19-2013

I'm going to use Shen as the split-pusher because he is, by far, the best at it. And I'm going to set up a scenario to show in concrete terms what a split push looks like.

So it's 25-30 minutes into the game. Let's say all outer turrets are down, and the Shen has farmed his way up to an Aegis and Sunfire Cape. His team wants to push mid to get the inner turret, but the other team has amazing wave clear, so they can't get damage on the turret. Shen decides to split from his team, and run down bot. His team is now 4v5 in mid lane. Shen gets to bot lane, and starts pushing it. While he is bot, his team keeps pressuring mid, but not engaging or allowing themselves to be initiated on. When Shen gets up to the enemy's inner turret in bot, they have 1 of 2 choices. They can send someone down to deal with him, leaving it at a 4v4 in mid lane, and surrendering their advantage in that lane, or keep everyone mid, in which case Shen takes bot's turret. Now here's why Shen is the best split-pusher. His team decides to engage mid lane, using the 4v4 as a chance to get a fight going. Shen just ults over to the fight, making it a 5v4 while the person who responded to his push has to walk over, and might get there after the fight was already over. It is also a great way to close out games, because it's so hard to push inhibitors unless you're really far ahead.

TL;DR- Send one person, preferably with a large distance closer like TP, to push while the other 4 pressure something else on the map.

Z The Slayer

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-19-2013

TW covered it pretty well. There's two kinds of split pushers:
Aggressive (Sivir, Yi, Tristana) who can destroy a tower before the enemy has a chance to respond or
Defensive (TF, Shen, teleport) who punishes the enemy if they respond.

Aggressive pushers aren't circumstantial; they don't rely on timing quite as much as defensive ones do, since their cooldowns are short and their damage is fast. Defensive pushers are much more effective if you have good harassers in your team (since that means your team can hold your ground without initiating better) and are better when the timing is right (teleportation abilities have long cooldowns, remember). Trying to time when to split push in coordination with your cooldowns isn't always easy, and they take longer to profit than aggressive ones.

Still, Defensive is what most people expect, as they're hard to take down while stranded, and they're usually much harder to kill.

Banner of Command is a good way to split push without actually being there. It takes good prediction (like...you happen to be bot lane while your team is planning on taking/baiting Baron), as the super minion is near indestructible against other minions and rewards you gold for each of its kills. It doesn't take much for an ADC to take it out, though, and with a 2 minute cooldown it's not something to be wasted without a plan first.

Akromah

05-19-2013

It should be mentioned that good split push comps have strong disengage or wave clear.

Good split push champs have strong dueling and disengage.

enhancedgore

10-09-2013

what about nasus? he'll just farm for 30 mins into the game(i'd say he has 350 stacks)
then he'll deal
110+(350) damage
that is 460 damage means he only needs to use his q 5-6 times
he also have minions and auto attacks so roughly 4 times of q

Tsarkillo

10-09-2013

The success leading up to a grand split push, is rotation. If your team has terrible rotations, your split pusher can try all he wants, you won't get anything out of it.

iluvalar

10-10-2013

Here is my recipe for a succesful split push.

1. Your team must be ready to initate a 5v3, resist a 4v5 or take down an objective if everyone pursue de pusher. This mean that they must be there and at least apply enough pressure to know what is going on. Sadly, sometime the team dont know how to receive a split and they stall in the middle of the map. Doing nothing but to ping danger to you while the entire enemy team have time to go get you and return to the mid lane before your team even do something. That's sad.
2. The pusher must be able to handle a 2v1 or win a 1v1. If the enemy team can send an underfarmed champs to the lane and succefully resist the pusher under the tower, it's not so good.
3. You get extra point the more the pusher is able to mass CSing. If he can push the lane and wipe 4 waves of minion while in route it's good. If your minions have already reached th enemy towers by themself, much less.
4. The more the pusher is able to menace the objective the better.

Thaiboxer87

10-10-2013

play tryn, never join teamfights, and win 80% of your games, then you will know exactly wat split push is about XD

The Tofux

12-28-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeknoWizard View Post
I'm going to use Shen as the split-pusher because he is, by far, the best at it. And I'm going to set up a scenario to show in concrete terms what a split push looks like.

So it's 25-30 minutes into the game. Let's say all outer turrets are down, and the Shen has farmed his way up to an Aegis and Sunfire Cape. His team wants to push mid to get the inner turret, but the other team has amazing wave clear, so they can't get damage on the turret. Shen decides to split from his team, and run down bot. His team is now 4v5 in mid lane. Shen gets to bot lane, and starts pushing it. While he is bot, his team keeps pressuring mid, but not engaging or allowing themselves to be initiated on. When Shen gets up to the enemy's inner turret in bot, they have 1 of 2 choices. They can send someone down to deal with him, leaving it at a 4v4 in mid lane, and surrendering their advantage in that lane, or keep everyone mid, in which case Shen takes bot's turret. Now here's why Shen is the best split-pusher. His team decides to engage mid lane, using the 4v4 as a chance to get a fight going. Shen just ults over to the fight, making it a 5v4 while the person who responded to his push has to walk over, and might get there after the fight was already over. It is also a great way to close out games, because it's so hard to push inhibitors unless you're really far ahead.

TL;DR- Send one person, preferably with a large distance closer like TP, to push while the other 4 pressure something else on the map.
Shen's my favorite champion and never considered actually split pushing with him. I've done it a lot but I used to think it's better for him to be with his team for an emergency. Now that I think of it he is indeed one of the best (if not the best of all split pushers).