Do you understand the bond? My experience with the Butcher

12345 ... 7
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Big Daft Lizard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-27-2012

EDIT: Thank you all for the congratulations! I really didn't think I'd get into the Showcase.

It seems like ages ago that I called a champion onto the field of justice for the first time. In reality, it's only been a couple of years. Fiddlesticks, I recall. I dabbled with Veigar as well. Their nightmarishness and common malevolence failed to captivate me, and I pondered how someone could form a bond with either. After several conflict resolutions, I shrugged and abandoned summonerhood.

Once a summoner, always a summoner, it seems. An acquaintance of mine messaged me several months later, the subject being the latest arrival to the fields: Renekton. "I think you'll get along well with him," said my friend. He told me of what the butcher could do, and the more I learned of his rampant, anger-fueled insanity, the more I liked the idea of returning to the Institute of War to attempt... a different bond.

My first battle with Renekton introduced me to his raging and bloodthirsty nature rather swiftly. I saw potential. Here was a champion whose mind I could meld with - an exotic, anger-driven warrior whose primary goal I shared - revenge.

Revenge on what, I couldn't tell you. I feel as though much of the world has mistreated me. Call me disgruntled, but I could never be happy with a happy champion. Nunu? Sona? I'll leave them to other, less disturbed summoners. Renekton and I share stories without uttering words, we lust for the kill with unwarranted belligerence. Why sugar-coat it?

Our eyes light up at the sight of a fresh corpse. We snarl in unison as we tear through a minion wave and into an enemy's heart. Now, as we unleash our real power and tower over the battlefield, we release a combined roar, fueling the rage so that we might temporarily slake our thirst!...

...of course it doesn't last for long. Neither Renekton nor I can be happy or satisfied with a single victory. The greatest destructive spree will still leave us wanting more.

Even as I write this, I'm discovering that it may be time for a change of perspective. Kog'Maw was born to die, a living sacrifice. Cho'Gath feels the need to feast upon enemies, a hunger that can yet be sated. The most sinister champions, such as Evelynn, Nocturne, Kassadin... it's not that they're not the right match for me. It's that they can't handle me. In turn, why do so few partner with Renekton as opposed to Tryndamere, Kassadin, Shen?... If my unnatural ties with the Croc are as strong as I believe, it must be that they simply cannot handle him.

It seems the opportunity has arisen for another conflict resolution. Neither of us care what we're supposed to be fighting for this time. All that matters is that we fight, and that the fighting never stops...

Farnbil

03-27-2012

An insightful read, your understanding of Renekton is impeccable, but this belongs in Fanfiction.

Big Daft Lizard

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-27-2012

I wrestled over posting it in fanfiction, but most of it isn't fiction in the first place and seemed to fit more with the concept of lore. If a red sees fit to move it over there, then I understand.

ThorRush

03-27-2012

Good writing, Dragon. Did you really stop playing, then come back for Renekton? That's really impressive, that a champion's character was strong enough to entice you back.

If I understand you correctly, I might have a similar summoning bond, if not the same experiences. For the longest time Xin Zhao and Alistar have been among my favored champions. The strength of will they possess is unrivaled. Both are former Noxian gladiators - fighters who overcame everything that vicious city-state could throw at them. Now that they fight in the League, they use their strength in the name of those who came to their aid before.

I am only too happy to bring them to the fight, knocking aside our enemies as we charge onwards to our goal. None can stand in our way.

Big Daft Lizard

03-27-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorRush View Post
Good writing, Dragon. Did you really stop playing, then come back for Renekton? That's really impressive, that a champion's character was strong enough to entice you back.
That's exactly what happened. I had long forgotten about the League when said acquaintance mentioned that I'd have a greater appreciate for the Institute's newest hero (villain?).

Jaykoboy

03-27-2012

I'm the same way - but with Nocturne. Not quite, though; I've only been playing since last July, so I'm still not a long-term hardcore player, but I bought Nocturne when I was a noob, hated him, and left him in the dark, so to speak. Then, there was a revival, and he became my replacement for my old main (Master Yi) after I realized that everyone knew how to counter my old champion nowadays.

Fenix12345

03-27-2012

I myself have a strong bond with Morgana since my early days as a summoner. Although the Fallen Angel bares great darkness in her heart, she has never let that darkness control her. She never let anything control her, not even a summoner. Morgana's voice is her own, and despite her methods, she fights for a noble cause. Freedom is not a bad thing, the best voice is that of guidance; not authority.
I am my own man, and can make my own choices. She helped me realise this: in the end, the choice is always yours, no-one can decide how you live your life for you. I fight not because I am told to, but because I want to. To protect the things and people I love, I would accept any consequences. I only hope that I can keep this freedom, I will become stronger, no matter what.

SonofaTROLL

04-26-2012

I sense a future serial killer...

VenomancerKris

04-26-2012

I cannot even believe im answering this, but it does not hurt to include the experience of self here. I still remember when I told my friends how difficult was for me to get to understand a champion. Started trying Cho' Gath and never managed to get his violent but slow-termed killing ways. I switched right away, lured by a need of quick butchering and found Nocturne, with which I had a good experience (By this point the New champ of the league was Fizz if I recall). But after that, the relation did not seem to work, I came to realize that potency, but at the same time, high risk of retaliation if the objective was not completed, was not my style. Angered by my incapability I stopped playing, till I got to know of the existence of Volibear. O yes, we managed to understand each other after a couple of defeats, to never be taken by surpirse again. My old and good main will ever be that, and no other champ will be able to take that place. Finally managed to understand that instead of killing quick, my way was to protect and deal hard punishment at the same time. The Thunder Lord and I get along quite well. A bond to appreciate...to always mantain fresh.

Blanic

04-26-2012

im starting to feel some sort of bond with Cho but... still looking for that champion that i could feel bonded like you and Reneck
on a side note: i feel a strong sensation between Varus and Hecarim, time (and IP) will tell

12345 ... 7