The Ultimate Guide to Ahri, The 9 Tails Fox

1234567 ... 11
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AkarisLight

04-03-2012

I realize that you are going for a specific approach with this build, but I love playing Ahri, and was fairly successful with her. I noticed people disagreeing with the WotA and the Rylai's, and wanted to input on this.

Most of the disagreement with the WotA seems to be that they aren't getting enough out of the spellvamp. That is not an item issue, that is a spell issue. Yes, the spellvamp doesn't seem as impressive because of the lower damage (because of the multi-hits); BUT, you should not be doing damage to 1-2 targets if you need to utilize the spellvamp. If you are farming, you should always maximize your lifesteal with WotA and your passive by building up your passive, and then using Q to hit as many minions as possible. I can usually heal 20-50% of my health on an average farm with one Q this way. Second, during team fights, yes, your aura may help your teammates slightly, but you still have a buffed spellvamp, and a Q should walk through all the enemies making any damage you've taken reversed quite a bit (unless you're focused, then you need to worry about escape). Third, if you're against an enemy champion 1v1 (or even 1v2 in my experience), then you need to change your primary spell for your passive to Fox-Fire instead, as it does more damage in that situation than the orb, allows you to keep moving, and still heals you a good chunk.

As for the Rylai's, it's HP (always good, because lifesteal alone is not effective if you get OHKO'd), AP (more damage = quicker kill, more vamp), and a slow which CAN make the difference, especially in a chase situation. If you're chasing them, you might not have your ult up, that slow gives you more time to bring them down before they can retreat to that group of enemies, or even that tower + minions. If they're chasing you, again, you might not have your ult up, a slow gives you a better chance at getting away, or even turning the situation around because if they have to melee you and can't catch you, free damage + vamp! AP carries are a bit trickier to do that with, but not impossible if you can land Charm.

Now, someone said earlier that you just don't follow a Ahri with those items, but sometimes they get overconfident, or it looks like they have an advantage. Ahri can easily turn those around.

Someone asked about what to do with excess gold between purchases? either start on your next purchase (tome?) or buy the elixirs/pots/wards.. all those help. AP+CDR boost with a blue elixir for 250? Awesome! 200 hp while you're between minion waves, or all alone? Awesome! Map awareness?! SUEPR AWESOME!

DLT CorE

04-03-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by AkarisLight View Post
I realize that you are going for a specific approach with this build, but I love playing Ahri, and was fairly successful with her. I noticed people disagreeing with the WotA and the Rylai's, and wanted to input on this.
That's up to your playstyle.
If you like'em, you do. If you don't, then you don't.

Quote:
Most of the disagreement with the WotA seems to be that they aren't getting enough out of the spellvamp. That is not an item issue, that is a spell issue. Yes, the spellvamp doesn't seem as impressive because of the lower damage (because of the multi-hits); BUT, you should not be doing damage to 1-2 targets if you need to utilize the spellvamp. If you are farming, you should always maximize your lifesteal with WotA and your passive by building up your passive, and then using Q to hit as many minions as possible. I can usually heal 20-50% of my health on an average farm with one Q this way. Second, during team fights, yes, your aura may help your teammates slightly, but you still have a buffed spellvamp, and a Q should walk through all the enemies making any damage you've taken reversed quite a bit (unless you're focused, then you need to worry about escape). Third, if you're against an enemy champion 1v1 (or even 1v2 in my experience), then you need to change your primary spell for your passive to Fox-Fire instead, as it does more damage in that situation than the orb, allows you to keep moving, and still heals you a good chunk.
With the Passive activated, I can heal 90% HP on a minion line.
It's not that hard, anyways.

Quote:
As for the Rylai's, it's HP (always good, because lifesteal alone is not effective if you get OHKO'd), AP (more damage = quicker kill, more vamp), and a slow which CAN make the difference, especially in a chase situation. If you're chasing them, you might not have your ult up, that slow gives you more time to bring them down before they can retreat to that group of enemies, or even that tower + minions. If they're chasing you, again, you might not have your ult up, a slow gives you a better chance at getting away, or even turning the situation around because if they have to melee you and can't catch you, free damage + vamp! AP carries are a bit trickier to do that with, but not impossible if you can land Charm.
If you know how to harass your opponent, the moment to dive and when to flee, you shouldn't need Rylai's.

Quote:
Now, someone said earlier that you just don't follow a Ahri with those items, but sometimes they get overconfident, or it looks like they have an advantage. Ahri can easily turn those around.
Without these items too!
If you have enough time to get your cooldowns up, you can definitely kill your enemy or deal some heavy damage.

Quote:
Someone asked about what to do with excess gold between purchases? either start on your next purchase (tome?) or buy the elixirs/pots/wards.. all those help. AP+CDR boost with a blue elixir for 250? Awesome! 200 hp while you're between minion waves, or all alone? Awesome! Map awareness?! SUEPR AWESOME!
That too ._.
Buy 3 or 4 of all of the Shrooms and one Oracle's Elixir.
Very nice reminder, btw =]

DLT CorE

04-04-2012

Bumply Bump.

ThorHammerz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-04-2012

Guide is ok...... yea, its ok. However, I would personally start out boots + pots (2 hp + 1 mana), as the extra MS is just mandatory to dodge the long-range skill-shot AP carry the meta currently promotes to go mid. Items (apart from DFG, which would be nice indeed to knock down a tank) are commonly promoted/known.

Its ok, but I can (and have found) find an equal/better one from 5 seconds of googling a Mobafire guide (no offense). Go post it on Mobafire (some will laugh at you for whatever reason, apparently Mobafire isn't reliable or something...?), LeagueCraft, Solomid etc, and see what the broader LoL community thinks, because the number of people who read these forums compared to the number on those sites is probably a lot smaller.

DLT CorE

04-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThorHammerz View Post
Guide is ok...... yea, its ok. However, I would personally start out boots + pots (2 hp + 1 mana), as the extra MS is just mandatory to dodge the long-range skill-shot AP carry the meta currently promotes to go mid.
No it isn't, I'm really sorry, but Doran's is way better than boots.
Again, boots + pots aren't that useful later on the game.

Quote:
Items (apart from DFG, which would be nice indeed to knock down a tank) are commonly promoted/known.
Can you believe that there are people who don't know how to build Ahri?
These items (this specific build) has got Lich Bane and DFG, two items people don't make much.

Quote:
Its ok, but I can (and have found) find an equal/better one from 5 seconds of googling a Mobafire guide (no offense). Go post it on Mobafire (some will laugh at you for whatever reason, apparently Mobafire isn't reliable or something...?), LeagueCraft, Solomid etc, and see what the broader LoL community thinks, because the number of people who read these forums compared to the number on those sites is probably a lot smaller.
Alright.
If you don't tell me how can I do any better, then you don't help at all.
That's all I ask.

ThorHammerz

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

04-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLT CorE View Post

Alright.
If you don't tell me how can I do any better, then you don't help at all.
That's all I ask.
Hey, I just recommended to go post it on popular guide-posting sites, if you don't want to, thats fine, its your guide , although your somewhat inflated sense of pride/ego does make you a target to have fun poking at .

Also, very important thing missing from your guide (especially for new players) - Summoner spells.

(Edit: I believe this was mentioned by another poster, "if you want to do better"..? A simple regurgitation of spell stats, and a brief description of what it does/what you do with it, isn't very helpful to those looking for a bit more depth and insight. Try expanding on strategy a bit more - since thats what we come to this forum for in the first place, and perhaps talk about things that are not commonly known. On a side note, Ahri gets shut down an exhaust rather painfully, something maybe your readers should keep in mind )

DLT CorE

04-04-2012

Quote:
Hey, I just recommended to go post it on popular guide-posting sites, if you don't want to, thats fine, its your guide ,
I was already considering that, it might actually be a good idea =]

Quote:
although your somewhat inflated sense of pride/ego does make you a target to have fun poking at .
._.
I tend to get aggressive sometimes, that's a fact.

Quote:
Also, very important thing missing from your guide (especially for new players) - Summoner spells.
Thanks for the reminder (I was planning to do that but I couldn't remember)

Quote:
(Edit: I believe this was mentioned by another poster, "if you want to do better"..? A simple regurgitation of spell stats, and a brief description of what it does/what you do with it, isn't very helpful to those looking for a bit more depth and insight. Try expanding on strategy a bit more - since thats what we come to this forum for in the first place, and perhaps talk about things that are not commonly known. On a side note, Ahri gets shut down an exhaust rather painfully, something maybe your readers should keep in mind )
Great then =]
Will certainly do that, thanks for the heads-up

If you have anything else to say then don't think twice before doing so! :]

corallein

04-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLT CorE View Post
No it isn't, I'm really sorry, but Doran's is way better than boots.
It sure is.
For that Cassiopeia that you're laning against. One Q into Twin Fang spam and you're down over half your health. How are you going to stay in lane then, especially without any health pots to heal up?

ThorHammerz

04-04-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by corallein View Post
It sure is.
For that Cassiopeia that you're laning against. One Q into Twin Fang spam and you're down over half your health. How are you going to stay in lane then, especially without any health pots to heal up?
The logical argument would be that since you are able to spam spells from the increased mp5, you can proc your 35% Spellvamp more often on a big minion wave for 25-45% of max hp more....

But that's simply not realistic, since you'll be down to 30% by the time you can proc your passive for its heal, and a good long-range poker such as Cass, Karthus, or Lux can just keep you out of range/whittle you down far faster than you can regen. from just the passive.

corallein

04-04-2012

Quote:
The logical argument would be that since you are able to spam spells from the increased mp5, you can proc your 35% Spellvamp more often on a big minion wave for 25-45% of max hp more....

But that's simply not realistic, since you'll be down to 30% by the time you can proc your passive for its heal, and a good long-range poker such as Cass, Karthus, or Lux can just keep you out of range/whittle you down far faster than you can regen. from just the passive.
Assuming Ahri is level 3, it's a minimum of 195 mana to get one Q with 35% spell vamp (3 Fox-Fire's at 40 mana each to stack up to 9 charges, one level 2 Orb of Deception).

Assuming that the Orb double-hits an entire creep wave (6 minions), it will give (65*2*6)*0.35/3 health back (dmg*spell vamp/3 for AOE spells), or 91 health. More realistically, you'll hit on average at most 4 creeps, which reduces the healing you get to 60. You can do that once every 27 seconds (cooldown for Fox-Fire at level 1).

In that period, you get 30 mana back from Doran's Ring, one Cassiopeia Q does 75 damage (modified by her AP and your MR, assuming she's maxing Twin Fang instead) for 35 mana (105 if you assume she only lands 1/3 on you, but it's not that hard to land them on a 305 movespeed champion with no boots).

So no, it's not realistic for Ahri to rely on her passive to heal up. It's a nice bonus for laning, but not even remotely reliable, nor will it give even close to 25% of your max health back.

1234567 ... 11