The Ultimate Guide to Ahri, The 9 Tails Fox

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DLT CorE

06-11-2012

As of the new patch, building tanky Ahri is not as viable as it was due to the base damage decrease on both Fox-Fire and Spirit Rush. But they have better AP ratios, which mean that even though Ahri does need survivability, it's just better to focus on AP and damage (Focus, not flat damage)
I think Rylai's is the best option, but you can always get a Rod of Ages (Which I'd not get if I got Rylai's) and even QSS is a viable option.

EDIT: But then again, if you have Spirit Rush up you don't actually need much survivability because chances are they'll die instantly if they don't have enough HP.
And you shouldn't dive to attack someone you can't kill, obviously.

KaiSong

06-11-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLT CorE View Post
As of the new patch, building tanky Ahri is not as viable as it was due to the base damage decrease on both Fox-Fire and Spirit Rush. But they have better AP ratios, which mean that even though Ahri does need survivability, it's just better to focus on AP and damage (Focus, not flat damage)
I think Rylai's is the best option, but you can always get a Rod of Ages (Which I'd not get if I got Rylai's) and even QSS is a viable option.

EDIT: But then again, if you have Spirit Rush up you don't actually need much survivability because chances are they'll die instantly if they don't have enough HP.
And you shouldn't dive to attack someone you can't kill, obviously.
I build tanky ahri and with the ratio's as they are now I'll receive a higher damage than the last patch with no change in build. The ratio's even with the last patch at 300 AP once you reach that much the damage compared to last patch will be higher. Rylais Wota Runes and a CDR book give around 300 AP + a ring or two and theres pretty much no difference in damage. Its all a matter if your opponents can dodge the main charm skillshot. If they cant then it doesnt matter what your damage is, theyre going to die.

DLT CorE

06-12-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiSong View Post
I build tanky ahri and with the ratio's as they are now I'll receive a higher damage than the last patch with no change in build. The ratio's even with the last patch at 300 AP once you reach that much the damage compared to last patch will be higher. Rylais Wota Runes and a CDR book give around 300 AP + a ring or two and theres pretty much no difference in damage. Its all a matter if your opponents can dodge the main charm skillshot. If they cant then it doesnt matter what your damage is, theyre going to die.
Not exactly. If they have that bit of MR and you didn't build enough AP, chances are they'll get out alive.

DrMagmus

08-10-2012

Your attachments don't work dood. I can't see what masteries you chose, or what summoner spells you took.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLT CorE View Post
v1.10.0
by DLT CorE

Views are OVER 9000!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attachment 407818

This is it. The ultimate guide to Ahri, the 9 Tails Fox is here. Now.

Index
[#AH_00]

I. Introduction - [#AH_10]
II. Build - [#AH_20]
III. Technique - [#AH_30]
IV. Abilities - [#AH_40]
V. Tips & Tricks - [#AH_50]
VI. FAQ - [#AH_60]
VII. Changelog - [#AH_70]

I. Introduction

[#AH_10]

Summoners!
(lol, I sound like Nikasaur)
Welcome to the Ultimate Guide for Ahri, the 9 Tails Fox! For me, Ahri's by far the best AP carry, and by far the champion I play best. Out of (kinda) boredom, I decided to write an Ahri guide for you guys, and as Ahri's a kinda hard champion to master (YES, I've suffered a lot before learning all this, and still, I do make some mistakes).

II. Build
[#AH_20]

II-I. Main Build

[#AH_21]

My build for the Fox's got a bit of a secret. But never worry, I'm telling it here. My main build is:

Doran's Ring
Attachment 407805

Doran's Ring is a nice starter and, even though you can't buy potions with it, it's good overall because you get some AP and HP on the start. And that's a big edge.

Sorcerer's Shoes
Attachment 407810

These are your boots of choice. They give you movement speed and magic penetration. For enemy tanks, that's a no-no.

Hextech Revolver

Attachment 412746

Hextech Revolver is my second pick because its Spell Vamp and AP are real good for Ahri early game, when she's got almost no HP and low armor/magic resist.

Deathfire Grasp
Attachment 412747

DFG is a very good item not only because of its stats (Cooldown Reduction, Mana regen and AP) but its Active is also a big edge. (Try setting its smart cast to T, helps a lot =])

Rabadon's Deathcap
Attachment 407808

In case you finish this, or you're epically fed or it's a **** long game. The build's expensive enough my now, and you still have to buy a 3600G item? Yes, you do. Its 140 pure AP plus 40% AP boost gives you epic damage and more damage, both mid and late game.

Lich Bane
Attachment 407806

So this is my actual build secret (shhh, don't tell anyone). Its stats are nothing more than average, but its passive is the core of its power: After casting a spell, your basic attacks deal bonus damage equal to your AP. And late game, that means 800+ basic attack damage.

The main objective for this build is to build mainly AP and Cooldown Reduction along with Spell Vamp. AP is the most obvious thing you should put in an Ahri build, CD is not that necessary but Spell Vamp is also good to keep you alive.

II-II-I. Secondary Main Items
[#AH_22]

These are the items you should consider buying after you've completed your build, and even though I recommend the Main Build the most, these items can also substitute an item from the Main Build (only after Lich Bane, most probably Morello's)

Archangel's Staff
Attachment 407804

Combined with the Spell Vamp you should already have, this may be your item of choice to keep yourself more time in your lane (or in the field), as it gives you large Mana and AP based on your mana. Therefore, you get Mana to keep yourself playing more and recalling less, and you also get some more AP to deal some more damage.

Rylai's Crystal Scepter

Attachment 407809

While this is a very good item, I'd rather make the items described in the main build, and leave this one as an option. Rylai's is good for when enemies are fleeing a lot from you and for when you're dying a lot.

II-III. "Tanky" Items (MR, CC)
[#AH_23]
This is the build you should make for when you're getting harassed or tanking heavy damage from another AP champ.

Abyssal Scepter
Attachment 417505
Combine your Negatron Cloak and a Blasting Wand into this.
Abyssal Scepter is a good item because it gives you both MR and AP. Plain and simple.

Quicksilver Sash
Attachment 417506
Also good against AP and against debuffs, because its Active removes all negative status from your champion.

Mercury's Treads
Attachment 417507
Alternative boots for when you're against that AP harasser or you're having problems with CC. Gives you both Tenacity and MR.

II-III. Masteries
[#AH_24]

I went 22/0/8 for masteries, these being as shown in the image:

II-IV. Runes
[#AH_25]
For the runes, I went AP, Armor Penetration and mana regen.

Attachment 409688
Greater Glyph of Potency
0.99 Ability Power

Attachment 409689
Greater Mark of Insight
0.95 Magic Penetration

Attachment 409690
Greater Seal of Replenishment
0.41 Mana Regen/5 sec

Attachment 409692
Greater Quintessence of Potency
4.95 Ability Power

II-V. Summoner Spells
[#AH_26]
II-V-I. Recommended
For the summoner spells, I personally Recommend those:

Attachment 414367 & Attachment 414361 Recommended or Attachment 414362 Alternative
Flash

Flash's real good for running away from ganks and for diving a bit faster, though the latter is not that recommended.

Attachment 414368 & Attachment 414360 Recommended or Attachment 414362 Alternative
Ignite

Ignite is good for killing that running enemy or even to give you the edge on the middle of a fight.

II-V-II. Alternative

Attachment 414351 & Attachment 414360 Recommended or Attachment 414361 Alternative
Heal

Heal's good for when you die a lot, if you die a lot. Not that recommended, though.

Attachment 414352 & Attachment 414360 Recommended
Clarity

Good for those who like to spam their skills up from the start and don't want to build up mana. Not that recommended, as well.

III. Technique
[#AH_30]

III-I. Diving
[#AH_31]

Okay, here's a tip: do not head dive on anyone unless on a gank or if the target's got less than 50% health. (Weak champions are obvious exceptions) And most importantly, never start a fight with anyone if you still aren't lvl 6 if you aren't sure of the outcome. (Remember, try landing charm and then using your combo. Won't be an instant kill, though) Avoid fight starting with Spirit Rush on cooldown. At later games, when you get more experience, you will be able to judge when you can and when you cannot attack someone, depending of their resistance, HP, position, average cooldown, number of MIAs and possible other Champions. Ganking's also good, especially when you are kind of behind build against the other team's mid lane. Use Spirit Rush in a champion's direction (also good for ganking) and right after it, cast Fox-Fire (due to the fact it needs a bit of time to land, but that's a sure hit if you keep them in range), Charm, Spirit Rush, Orb of Deception and Spirit Rush again. If the opponent's not fed not is it a tank, he should be dead by Orb of Deception. Just remember to don't take the eye out of your...

III-II. Cooldowns
[#AH_32]

Cooldown's one dangerous thing for Ahri. Because of those, she deals damage in short bursts. That gets a little better when you get Lich Bane, because you can also get some Basic Attack bonuses, so you deal potentially ~500 extra damage if you basic attack whenever you cast a spell. If you're playing against an Ahri, remember: Never chase the Fox for too long if you're not full on HP. You'll almost certainly die.

III-III. Jungling
[#AH_33]

Don't. Do. It. Unless, of course, you want the Blue Buff or that extra 100G you need for an Item and you just can't hold your lane because you're low on HP and you don't want to recall twice. Just remember to be careful with the other team's jungle and any MIAs.

IV. Abilities
[#AH_40]
Essence Theft (Passive)
Attachment 407816 (Inactive)
Attachment 407815 (Active)

Ahri gains a charge of Essence Theft whenever one of her spells hits an enemy. This caps at 3 charges per spell cast. Upon reaching 9 charges, Ahri's next spell will have 35% bonus spell vamp.

Her passive is good to keep you on lane and it even saves you sometimes when you're lucky enough to have it active during a gank on you. Spam your spells on somebody when you get ganked, and the hit enemy'll probably flee because of the high damage.

Orb of Deception (Q)
Attachment 407814
70 / 75 / 80 / 85 / 90 Mana
40 / 65 / 90 / 115 / 140 (+0.33 per ability power) Magic Damage
40 / 65 / 90 / 115 / 140 (+0.33 per ability power) True Damage
7 / 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 Seconds Cooldown

Ahri sends out an orb in a line in front of her and then pulls it back, dealing magic damage on the way out and true damage on the way back.

This is your first pick. The skill is good for farming and hitting enemies from far early game. Its low damage is countered by the fact that you can hit the enemy twice.

Fox-Fire (W)
Attachment 407813
60 / 60 / 60 / 60 / 60 Mana
40 / 70 / 100 / 130 / 160 (+0.38 per ability power) Magic Damage per Fox-Fire*
9 / 8 / 7 / 6 / 5 Seconds Cooldown

Ahri releases three fox-fires to surround her for up to 5 seconds. After a short delay after cast, they will target nearby enemies, prioritizing champions, to deal magic damage to them. Additional fox-fires that hit the same target will only deal 50% damage.

The very source of Ahri's heavy damage. Fotunately, its cooldown just gets smaller.

Only the first Fox-Fire deals 100% damage, the other fox fires only deal half damage. To calculate the max. damage, multiply damage by 2

Charm (E)
Attachment 407812
50 / 65 / 80 / 95 / 110 Mana
60 / 90 / 120 / 150 / 180 (+0.35 per ability power) Magic Damage
1 / 1.25 / 1.5 / 1.75 / 2 Seconds Cooldown

Ahri will blow a kiss that travels in a line in front of her. It will deal magic damage and charm the first enemy it encounters, forcing them to walk harmlessly towards her, while being slowed by 50% for the duration.

This one will be hard to land on your first matches, mainly due to its slow travel speed, and to the fact it can be dodged rather easily at long range (try predicting your opponent's movement). Though, when it lands, it's your time to cast Orb of Deception and Fox-Fire on your target to take a bit of its HP.

Spirit Rush (R) (Ultimate)
Attachment 407817
100 / 100 / 100 Mana
100 / 140 / 180 (+0.3 per ability power) Magic Damage per Bolt
110 / 95 / 80 Seconds Cooldown

Ahri dashes towards the cursor and fires essence bolts, dealing magic damage to up to 3 nearby enemies, prioritizing champions. In the next 10 seconds, Spirit Rush can be cast two additional times before going on cooldown. Each enemy can only be hit once per dash.

Use this to dash onto champions you can kill. Remember its cooldown is pretty high early game, so use it wisely.

V. Tips & Tricks
[#AH_50]
Avoid joining fights and attacking enemies with abilities on cooldown
If you make the build from here always keep in mind it is most recommended not to skip items, buy them in order
Push your lane early if you have the opportunity, so you can have an advantage and gank a lot mid-game
Ahri is not good at all sharing a lane (even with a support) and soloing against two enemies

VI. FAQ
[#AH_60]

VII. Changelog
[#AH_7.0]
(major.minor.revision;
minor and major updates will be posted as well)

v1.0.0 - Initial Release
v1.1.0 - Added Masteries
v1.1.1 - Some minor corrections
v1.2.0 - Added information under II-I (Thanks PlayGooYa! :])
v1.2.1 - Text got cut somehow, corrected that
v1.2.2 - Formatting got messed up, corrected that too
v1.3.0 - Added Runes
v1.4.0 - Changed Main Build
v1.5.0 - Added Summoner Spells (Thanks for the reminder ThorHammerz! :])
v1.5.1 - Added message
v1.5.2 - Updated Masteries
v1.6.0 - Added Extra Items
v1.7.0 - Updated for Hecarim patch
v1.8.0 - Added Search Tags
v1.8.1 - Corrected Typos
v1.9.0 - Updated for 5/4 patch
v1.10.0 - Double checked for Varus patch
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Special Thanks

PlayGooYa
ThorHammerz
acosn