Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS


The Ultimate Guide to Ahri, The 9 Tails Fox

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DLT CorE

Senior Member

03-27-2012

v1.10.0
by DLT CorE


Views are OVER 9000!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

407818


This is it. The ultimate guide to Ahri, the 9 Tails Fox is here. Now.

Index
[#AH_00]

I. Introduction - [#AH_10]
II. Build - [#AH_20]
III. Technique - [#AH_30]
IV. Abilities - [#AH_40]
V. Tips & Tricks - [#AH_50]
VI. FAQ - [#AH_60]
VII. Changelog - [#AH_70]



I. Introduction

[#AH_10]


Summoners!
(lol, I sound like Nikasaur)
Welcome to the Ultimate Guide for Ahri, the 9 Tails Fox! For me, Ahri's by far the best AP carry, and by far the champion I play best. Out of (kinda) boredom, I decided to write an Ahri guide for you guys, and as Ahri's a kinda hard champion to master (YES, I've suffered a lot before learning all this, and still, I do make some mistakes).

Quote:
Lore]
Unlike other foxes that roamed the woods of southern Ionia, Ahri had always felt a strange connection to the magical world around her
:

II. Build
[#AH_20]

II-I. Main Build

[#AH_21]

My build for the Fox's got a bit of a secret. But never worry, I'm telling it here. My main build is:


Doran's Ring
407805

Doran's Ring is a nice starter and, even though you can't buy potions with it, it's good overall because you get some AP and HP on the start. And that's a big edge.

Sorcerer's Shoes
407810

These are your boots of choice. They give you movement speed and magic penetration. For enemy tanks, that's a no-no.

Hextech Revolver

412746

Hextech Revolver is my second pick because its Spell Vamp and AP are real good for Ahri early game, when she's got almost no HP and low armor/magic resist.

Deathfire Grasp
412747

DFG is a very good item not only because of its stats (Cooldown Reduction, Mana regen and AP) but its Active is also a big edge. (Try setting its smart cast to T, helps a lot =])

Rabadon's Deathcap
407808

In case you finish this, or you're epically fed or it's a **** long game. The build's expensive enough my now, and you still have to buy a 3600G item? Yes, you do. Its 140 pure AP plus 40% AP boost gives you epic damage and more damage, both mid and late game.

Lich Bane
407806

So this is my actual build secret (shhh, don't tell anyone). Its stats are nothing more than average, but its passive is the core of its power: After casting a spell, your basic attacks deal bonus damage equal to your AP. And late game, that means 800+ basic attack damage.

The main objective for this build is to build mainly AP and Cooldown Reduction along with Spell Vamp. AP is the most obvious thing you should put in an Ahri build, CD is not that necessary but Spell Vamp is also good to keep you alive.



II-II-I. Secondary Main Items
[#AH_22]

These are the items you should consider buying after you've completed your build, and even though I recommend the Main Build the most, these items can also substitute an item from the Main Build (only after Lich Bane, most probably Morello's)

Archangel's Staff
407804

Combined with the Spell Vamp you should already have, this may be your item of choice to keep yourself more time in your lane (or in the field), as it gives you large Mana and AP based on your mana. Therefore, you get Mana to keep yourself playing more and recalling less, and you also get some more AP to deal some more damage.

Rylai's Crystal Scepter

407809

While this is a very good item, I'd rather make the items described in the main build, and leave this one as an option. Rylai's is good for when enemies are fleeing a lot from you and for when you're dying a lot.

II-III. "Tanky" Items (MR, CC)
[#AH_23]
This is the build you should make for when you're getting harassed or tanking heavy damage from another AP champ.

Abyssal Scepter
417505
Combine your Negatron Cloak and a Blasting Wand into this.
Abyssal Scepter is a good item because it gives you both MR and AP. Plain and simple.

Quicksilver Sash
417506
Also good against AP and against debuffs, because its Active removes all negative status from your champion.

Mercury's Treads
417507
Alternative boots for when you're against that AP harasser or you're having problems with CC. Gives you both Tenacity and MR.


II-III. Masteries
[#AH_24]

I went 22/0/8 for masteries, these being as shown in the image:

II-IV. Runes
[#AH_25]
For the runes, I went AP, Armor Penetration and mana regen.

409688
Greater Glyph of Potency
0.99 Ability Power

409689
Greater Mark of Insight
0.95 Magic Penetration

409690
Greater Seal of Replenishment
0.41 Mana Regen/5 sec

409692
Greater Quintessence of Potency
4.95 Ability Power


II-V. Summoner Spells
[#AH_26]
II-V-I. Recommended
For the summoner spells, I personally Recommend those:

414367 & 414361 Recommended or 414362 Alternative
Flash

Flash's real good for running away from ganks and for diving a bit faster, though the latter is not that recommended.

414368 & 414360 Recommended or 414362 Alternative
Ignite

Ignite is good for killing that running enemy or even to give you the edge on the middle of a fight.

II-V-II. Alternative

414351 & 414360 Recommended or 414361 Alternative
Heal

Heal's good for when you die a lot, if you die a lot. Not that recommended, though.

414352 & 414360 Recommended
Clarity

Good for those who like to spam their skills up from the start and don't want to build up mana. Not that recommended, as well.

III. Technique
[#AH_30]

III-I. Diving
[#AH_31]

Okay, here's a tip: do not head dive on anyone unless on a gank or if the target's got less than 50% health. (Weak champions are obvious exceptions) And most importantly, never start a fight with anyone if you still aren't lvl 6 if you aren't sure of the outcome. (Remember, try landing charm and then using your combo. Won't be an instant kill, though) Avoid fight starting with Spirit Rush on cooldown. At later games, when you get more experience, you will be able to judge when you can and when you cannot attack someone, depending of their resistance, HP, position, average cooldown, number of MIAs and possible other Champions. Ganking's also good, especially when you are kind of behind build against the other team's mid lane. Use Spirit Rush in a champion's direction (also good for ganking) and right after it, cast Fox-Fire (due to the fact it needs a bit of time to land, but that's a sure hit if you keep them in range), Charm, Spirit Rush, Orb of Deception and Spirit Rush again. If the opponent's not fed not is it a tank, he should be dead by Orb of Deception. Just remember to don't take the eye out of your...

III-II. Cooldowns
[#AH_32]

Cooldown's one dangerous thing for Ahri. Because of those, she deals damage in short bursts. That gets a little better when you get Lich Bane, because you can also get some Basic Attack bonuses, so you deal potentially ~500 extra damage if you basic attack whenever you cast a spell. If you're playing against an Ahri, remember: Never chase the Fox for too long if you're not full on HP. You'll almost certainly die.

III-III. Jungling
[#AH_33]

Don't. Do. It. Unless, of course, you want the Blue Buff or that extra 100G you need for an Item and you just can't hold your lane because you're low on HP and you don't want to recall twice. Just remember to be careful with the other team's jungle and any MIAs.

IV. Abilities
[#AH_40]
Essence Theft (Passive)
407816 (Inactive)
407815 (Active)

Ahri gains a charge of Essence Theft whenever one of her spells hits an enemy. This caps at 3 charges per spell cast. Upon reaching 9 charges, Ahri's next spell will have 35% bonus spell vamp.


Her passive is good to keep you on lane and it even saves you sometimes when you're lucky enough to have it active during a gank on you. Spam your spells on somebody when you get ganked, and the hit enemy'll probably flee because of the high damage.

Orb of Deception (Q)
407814
70 / 75 / 80 / 85 / 90 Mana
40 / 65 / 90 / 115 / 140 (+0.33 per ability power) Magic Damage
40 / 65 / 90 / 115 / 140 (+0.33 per ability power) True Damage
7 / 7 / 7 / 7 / 7 Seconds Cooldown

Ahri sends out an orb in a line in front of her and then pulls it back, dealing magic damage on the way out and true damage on the way back.

This is your first pick. The skill is good for farming and hitting enemies from far early game. Its low damage is countered by the fact that you can hit the enemy twice.

Fox-Fire (W)
407813
60 / 60 / 60 / 60 / 60 Mana
40 / 70 / 100 / 130 / 160 (+0.38 per ability power) Magic Damage per Fox-Fire*
9 / 8 / 7 / 6 / 5 Seconds Cooldown

Ahri releases three fox-fires to surround her for up to 5 seconds. After a short delay after cast, they will target nearby enemies, prioritizing champions, to deal magic damage to them. Additional fox-fires that hit the same target will only deal 50% damage.

The very source of Ahri's heavy damage. Fotunately, its cooldown just gets smaller.

Only the first Fox-Fire deals 100% damage, the other fox fires only deal half damage. To calculate the max. damage, multiply damage by 2

Charm (E)
407812
50 / 65 / 80 / 95 / 110 Mana
60 / 90 / 120 / 150 / 180 (+0.35 per ability power) Magic Damage
1 / 1.25 / 1.5 / 1.75 / 2 Seconds Cooldown

Ahri will blow a kiss that travels in a line in front of her. It will deal magic damage and charm the first enemy it encounters, forcing them to walk harmlessly towards her, while being slowed by 50% for the duration.


This one will be hard to land on your first matches, mainly due to its slow travel speed, and to the fact it can be dodged rather easily at long range (try predicting your opponent's movement). Though, when it lands, it's your time to cast Orb of Deception and Fox-Fire on your target to take a bit of its HP.

Spirit Rush (R) (Ultimate)
407817
100 / 100 / 100 Mana
100 / 140 / 180 (+0.3 per ability power) Magic Damage per Bolt
110 / 95 / 80 Seconds Cooldown


Ahri dashes towards the cursor and fires essence bolts, dealing magic damage to up to 3 nearby enemies, prioritizing champions. In the next 10 seconds, Spirit Rush can be cast two additional times before going on cooldown. Each enemy can only be hit once per dash.

Use this to dash onto champions you can kill. Remember its cooldown is pretty high early game, so use it wisely.

V. Tips & Tricks
[#AH_50]
Avoid joining fights and attacking enemies with abilities on cooldown
If you make the build from here always keep in mind it is most recommended not to skip items, buy them in order
Push your lane early if you have the opportunity, so you can have an advantage and gank a lot mid-game
Ahri is not good at all sharing a lane (even with a support) and soloing against two enemies


VI. FAQ
[#AH_60]

[QUOTE]Player: How long have you been playing Ahri for?
DLT CorE: Around three months. Not too much, you say, but considering I've played 6 out of 10 matches only with her it's a pretty decent time.


Player: Did anyone teach you all this?
DLT CorE: Nah, and I've suffered a lot before learning. Ahri's one hard champion to pick up and do well at the start.


Player: May I reproduce any of this?
DLT CorE: Not without permission. You may ask me on a PM but it's not real sure that you'll get the authorization to put this somewhere else.


Player: I've found a mistake/I disagree with something/I'm not so sure about that/I have an idea
DLT CorE: Great, please put it here so I can correct it. Remember, I'm not a native English speaker but I do my best. I'm a human as well, so I'm not perfect. Proper credits will be given.
VII. Changelog
[#AH_7.0]
(major.minor.revision;
minor and major updates will be posted as well)

v1.0.0 - Initial Release
v1.1.0 - Added Masteries
v1.1.1 - Some minor corrections
v1.2.0 - Added information under II-I (Thanks PlayGooYa! :])
v1.2.1 - Text got cut somehow, corrected that
v1.2.2 - Formatting got messed up, corrected that too
v1.3.0 - Added Runes
v1.4.0 - Changed Main Build
v1.5.0 - Added Summoner Spells (Thanks for the reminder ThorHammerz! :])
v1.5.1 - Added message
v1.5.2 - Updated Masteries
v1.6.0 - Added Extra Items
v1.7.0 - Updated for Hecarim patch
v1.8.0 - Added Search Tags
v1.8.1 - Corrected Typos
v1.9.0 - Updated for 5/4 patch
v1.10.0 - Double checked for Varus patch
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Special Thanks

PlayGooYa
ThorHammerz
acosn



Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DLT CorE

Senior Member

03-27-2012

v1.1.0 Updated!

Added Masteries


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

acosn

Senior Member

03-27-2012

archangel's is a no-no. ToG isn't a good item on Ahri simply because she has no strong way of farming it out, and by extention the AS isn't a good item either. Even on efficient stack farmers you're looking at an item that won't reach it's prime till a half hour after purchase.

Lichbane is incredibly niche because of Ahri's AA range.

An early game hextech revolver isn't a bad idea. The jump to WOTA is. Put the 1000 gold you save toward a blasting rod for Rab's or Rylai's or something.

Morello's Evil Tome shouldn't even register on your radar. For what Ahri does DFG is just a better item unless you can't be arsed to use it's on-use.

There's no reason to take improved summoner spells in your offense tree over increased durations of rune buffs. Ahri is to the blue golem buff what kittens are to cream.

Oh, and you should always assume you start with boots. Any competent harassment oriented mid (Cassiopeia, Karthus, ect) will absolutely destroy you if you don't have mobility.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PlayGooYa

Senior Member

03-27-2012

Why do people feel the need to regurgitate the stats of every skill back at you in every champion guide?

-_-

DFG is indeed far better than Morello's. Just set all your items on smart cast to make chaining your DFG into your other skills easier. All your summoner spells except Flash should also be on smart cast.

Rylai's ought to be a serious candidate for being part of the core build. Ahri's spammability generally means that she can constantly reapply slows. It allows Ahri to kite/harass and sets up kills for your team in the late game. It's too valuable to merely dismiss as being merely secondary since it amplifies what Ahri does best: harass, harass, harass.

Lich bane isn't bad, but there are just simply higher priorities on the list. The problem is that most of what it has to offer is easily beaten by other items. It gives you movement speed, but you might as well get Rylai's to constantly slow enemies instead. If you want MR, Abyssal Scepter and Treads are a better option (and shreds MR for more damage). And the proc damage doesn't become really useful until you have a bit of AP backing it, which you may as well scale, since that damage builds into your other skills without the need to auto-attack (get a Deathcap first). It's range isn't too bad, since AA range is about where most of her skills will be most accurate. But then again, items like Rylai's let you be that close more safely.

I personally don't use WoA very much anymore. It's a bit unnecessary and I tend to use health pots, Catalyst and the passive proc to sustain instead. I'm a convert to the "boots + 3 health pots" school of thought. An early RoA takes care of most my mana needs, gives me some AP and, most significantly, health. It synergizes extremely well with the health you're getting from a Rylai's.

I did use a build I once dubbed as the "book build." It basically consisted of scaling AP simply by buying four or five Tomes in succession and only later using them to build Revolver/WoA and DF. You're scaling your AP directly for much of the early game. This makes your harass sting quite a lot and allows you to just farm caster minions with Q. It's only a little less cost efficient than rushing a Needlessly Large Rod.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

acosn

Senior Member

03-28-2012

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
Why do people feel the need to regurgitate the stats of every skill back at you in every champion guide?

-_-

DFG is indeed far better than Morello's. Just set all your items on smart cast to make chaining your DFG into your other skills easier. All your summoner spells except Flash should also be on smart cast.

Rylai's ought to be a serious candidate for being part of the core build. Ahri's spammability generally means that she can constantly reapply slows. It allows Ahri to kite/harass and sets up kills for your team in the late game. It's too valuable to merely dismiss as being merely secondary since it amplifies what Ahri does best: harass, harass, harass.

Lich bane isn't bad, but there are just simply higher priorities on the list. The problem is that most of what it has to offer is easily beaten by other items. It gives you movement speed, but you might as well get Rylai's to constantly slow enemies instead. If you want MR, Abyssal Scepter and Treads are a better option (and shreds MR for more damage). And the proc damage doesn't become really useful until you have a bit of AP backing it, which you may as well scale, since that damage builds into your other skills without the need to auto-attack (get a Deathcap first). It's range isn't too bad, since AA range is about where most of her skills will be most accurate. But then again, items like Rylai's let you be that close more safely.

I personally don't use WoA very much anymore. It's a bit unnecessary and I tend to use health pots, Catalyst and the passive proc to sustain instead. I'm a convert to the "boots + 3 health pots" school of thought. An early RoA takes care of most my mana needs, gives me some AP and, most significantly, health. It synergizes extremely well with the health you're getting from a Rylai's.

I did use a build I once dubbed as the "book build." It basically consisted of scaling AP simply by buying four or five Tomes in succession and only later using them to build Revolver/WoA and DF. You're scaling your AP directly for much of the early game. This makes your harass sting quite a lot and allows you to just farm caster minions with Q. It's only a little less cost efficient than rushing a Needlessly Large Rod.


Ahri's probably one of the last characters you want to buy WOTA on simply because she's not hanging around her team. And it's an aura item. HTR isn't a great item on Ahri simply because 3/4ths of her spells are AOE. She simply doesn't scale into damage based sustain very well. Some people like it, so I won't say never do it, but I sure as hell don't.

Rab's shouldn't be an early game item, but you definitely want it within four major item purchases. Even if Ahri's ratios are weak (anyone who said, "Duh" slap yourself upside the head. Ahri's got weak ratios because all but one of her spells hits at least twice) Rabaddon's Deathcap is still the single greatest DPS item in the game for Ahri.

The value of any CDR item is entirely dependent on how your game is going, and how often you get blue buffs. If you can get it, you're basically shoving any CDR oriented item to your fifth and sixth slot. DFG is the exception because its your HP cutter, but that's a niche job, and you don't always see 3+ soaks on a team.

If you're having mana issues, or for whatever reason you can't get a hold of blue buffs, a Catalyst early game is your go-to for mana issues. The problem with prioritizing it though is that spending gold on survivability doesn't necessarily translate into kills, and Ahri's not the greatest later-game character. You want to end games within 40-ish minutes, and there really is no stat better at ending games than damage.

My typical game goes boots > doran's x2 > Rylai's > Rab's.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

aphronyaa

Senior Member

03-28-2012

op is junior dw


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DLT CorE

Senior Member

03-28-2012

First of all, thanks for the feedback =]

Quote:
acosn:
archangel's is a no-no. ToG isn't a good item on Ahri simply because she has no strong way of farming it out, and by extention the AS isn't a good item either. Even on efficient stack farmers you're looking at an item that won't reach it's prime till a half hour after purchase.

ToG is a gateway item to Archangel, which is good in a way. Kinda. (gives you mana + AP, so if you want to keep on lane a lot of time, that's pretty useful, so you can spam your spells)

Quote:
acosn:
An early game hextech revolver isn't a bad idea. The jump to WOTA is. Put the 1000 gold you save toward a blasting rod for Rab's or Rylai's or something.

Well, never thought of that. The point is, WoTA helps a lot during teamfights, but stopping on hextech might not be a bad idea. I'll try that.

Quote:
acosn:
Morello's Evil Tome shouldn't even register on your radar. For what Ahri does DFG is just a better item unless you can't be arsed to use it's on-use.

Morello's good for a reason. Mid to late game, you need CD reduction so you can kill the enemy before he does the same to you. DFG's also good, though. I'll add it.

Quote:
acosn:
There's no reason to take improved summoner spells in your offense tree over increased durations of rune buffs. Ahri is to the blue golem buff what kittens are to cream.

Might also be a good idea, I'll consider it.

Quote:
acosn:
Oh, and you should always assume you start with boots. Any competent harassment oriented mid (Cassiopeia, Karthus, ect) will absolutely destroy you if you don't have mobility.

I've tried that already and Doran's Ring did better than that. Ahri's very weak early game, so if you are careful you can hold it with relative ease.

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
DFG is indeed far better than Morello's. Just set all your items on smart cast to make chaining your DFG into your other skills easier. All your summoner spells except Flash should also be on smart cast.

I'll try a match with DFG and I'll share the results. Guess it won't be bad, after all.

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
Rylai's ought to be a serious candidate for being part of the core build. Ahri's spammability generally means that she can constantly reapply slows. It allows Ahri to kite/harass and sets up kills for your team in the late game. It's too valuable to merely dismiss as being merely secondary since it amplifies what Ahri does best: harass, harass, harass.

Rylai is a good item but you have more important stuff to do. (If I'm taking out Morello's I'll probably put DFG or Rylai on its place)

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
Lich bane isn't bad, but there are just simply higher priorities on the list. The problem is that most of what it has to offer is easily beaten by other items. It gives you movement speed, but you might as well get Rylai's to constantly slow enemies instead. If you want MR, Abyssal Scepter and Treads are a better option (and shreds MR for more damage). And the proc damage doesn't become really useful until you have a bit of AP backing it, which you may as well scale, since that damage builds into your other skills without the need to auto-attack (get a Deathcap first). It's range isn't too bad, since AA range is about where most of her skills will be most accurate. But then again, items like Rylai's let you be that close more safely.

Lich Bane is the core of the extra damage. I don't care for the rest of its stats, the most important part is its passive. It lets you give ~500 extra damage if you can place 2 or 3 basic attacks during your combo.

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
I personally don't use WoA very much anymore. It's a bit unnecessary and I tend to use health pots, Catalyst and the passive proc to sustain instead. I'm a convert to the "boots + 3 health pots" school of thought. An early RoA takes care of most my mana needs, gives me some AP and, most significantly, health. It synergizes extremely well with the health you're getting from a Rylai's.

I don't like the boots + pots start. Just doesn't work for me, I don't know. Doran's far better than that, in my opinion.

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
I did use a build I once dubbed as the "book build." It basically consisted of scaling AP simply by buying four or five Tomes in succession and only later using them to build Revolver/WoA and DF. You're scaling your AP directly for much of the early game. This makes your harass sting quite a lot and allows you to just farm caster minions with Q. It's only a little less cost efficient than rushing a Needlessly Large Rod.

That's how you start a nice build, but pure plain AP's just not good. You need some spell vamp and CD as well.

Quote:
acosn:
Ahri's probably one of the last characters you want to buy WOTA on simply because she's not hanging around her team. And it's an aura item. HTR isn't a great item on Ahri simply because 3/4ths of her spells are AOE. She simply doesn't scale into damage based sustain very well. Some people like it, so I won't say never do it, but I sure as hell don't.

Again, maybe, but as an Aura item it hels a lot during teamfights.

Quote:
acosn:
Rab's shouldn't be an early game item, but you definitely want it within four major item purchases. Even if Ahri's ratios are weak (anyone who said, "Duh" slap yourself upside the head. Ahri's got weak ratios because all but one of her spells hits at least twice) Rabaddon's Deathcap is still the single greatest DPS item in the game for Ahri.

Yes, but that's mid to late game. Rabadon's the fifth item, right before Morello's, Rylai or DFG.

Quote:
acosn:
If you're having mana issues, or for whatever reason you can't get a hold of blue buffs, a Catalyst early game is your go-to for mana issues. The problem with prioritizing it though is that spending gold on survivability doesn't necessarily translate into kills, and Ahri's not the greatest later-game character. You want to end games within 40-ish minutes, and there really is no stat better at ending games than damage.

I'm really sorry, but in my opinion, Ahri's one of the best AP carries late-game. But yes, damage is the priority build early game so you can really play late game.

Again, we're here to discuss about the game, so please go on with that :]


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PlayGooYa

Senior Member

03-28-2012

Quote:
DLT CorE:
Rylai is a good item but you have more important stuff to do. (If I'm taking out Morello's I'll probably put DFG or Rylai on its place)

No you don't have more important stuff to do. Rylai's are slows, which saves you, your team and gets kills. Maybe you don't personally get kills, but it gets kills. Even if you're not the go-to source of damage late game, you still often pick up kills on runners or set-up kills for assists for your teammates. Ahri punishes you hard for being out of position when you have this item.

Quote:
Lich Bane is the core of the extra damage. I don't care for the rest of its stats, the most important part is its passive. It lets you give ~500 extra damage if you can place 2 or 3 basic attacks during your combo.

Please listen to me instead of just ignoring me. Get a Deathcap early and that damage gets built into the rest of your combo. Then you build a Lich bane to take advantage of AP.

But as stated, there are higher priority items. Abyssal Scepter also gives you armor and shreds MR, which is also damage. Rylai's is a core item on Ahri, hands down.

The other stats should matter to you a lot. Your selected items show a disturbing trend of only paying attention to one feature of an item and you're basically ignoring the potential builds that Ahri has at her disposal.

No offense, but your guide is nothing exceptional. There are better guides out there and part of that is because they at least explain what their build accomplishes. However, I have yet to see a truly comprehensive all-you-need-to-know guide. It doesn't exist as far as I'm aware. And yours falls short of the mark. It takes more than a recitation of stats we already know about Ahri to impress.

I mean, I suppose auto-attacks don't miss the way skill-shots do, but it seems to me there are overall better build orders if you really want to do Lich bane procs.

(Two books and Blasting Wand into Lich bane into DFG. This will give you an AP base and an extra burst spell. Take ignite for even more burst.)

(Get two blasting wands, a Null-magic and Negatron in an unspecified order for early MR and AP scaling. Build your Abyssal Scepter and Lich bane. Get Merc Treads if needed for more MR and Tenacity. If not needed, get Sorc shoes for more MR shredding. Congrats, you're a tanky MR terror against AP carries.

Hmmm. . . must try this against Kassadin sometime.)

(Needlessly Large Rod into Lich bane followed by Deathcap. Or two Blasting Wands into Lich Bane then Deathcap. This is your early game "advantage" build, since you'll hit pretty hard and your Lich Bane will have some extra damage to back it up.)

As it stands, you seem to have this weird grab-bag of utility stats that don't really synergize well.

Quote:
I don't like the boots + pots start. Just doesn't work for me, I don't know. Doran's far better than that, in my opinion.

Doran's is a valid start, but it's mostly something you get if you need mana regen more than health sustain. Besides that, boots make dodging attacks easier. Even when they're click-and-pick spells, which tend to be shorter-ranged than skill shots.

Quote:
That's how you start a nice build, but pure plain AP's just not good. You need some spell vamp and CD as well.

As explained, cooldowns and spell vamp aren't strictly necessary on Ahri. There are more important stats.

Scaling AP early shouldn't affect you much in the laning phase anyway. It's not like you're getting that Revolver all that early.

Quote:
Again, maybe, but as an Aura item it hels a lot during teamfights.

Debatable. How many AP carries are on your team? Two on the outside? At most?

Sustain is nice, but early game it's not always strictly necessary. I don't begrudge people who start that way and like to play "immovable object." But my personal goals are to prioritize building Ahri tanky-AP.

And yes, tanky Ahri does scale into late-game better than you'd think.

Quote:
acosn:
Ahri's probably one of the last characters you want to buy WOTA on simply because she's not hanging around her team. And it's an aura item. HTR isn't a great item on Ahri simply because 3/4ths of her spells are AOE. She simply doesn't scale into damage based sustain very well. Some people like it, so I won't say never do it, but I sure as hell don't.

Ahri shouldn't be alone that often except in early laning phase. Even were that not the case, Rylai's plus WOTA is a pretty silly combo for kiting enemies. You don't chase an Ahri with those two items. It's as bad as chasing Singed. They'll both just whittle you down and now you're out of position with no health.

Yes, ignite. But that's utterly ignorable if Ahri chooses to ult away instead of kiting. And people don't always have ignite available.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DLT CorE

Senior Member

03-28-2012

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
No you don't have more important stuff to do. Rylai's are slows, which saves you, your team and gets kills. Maybe you don't personally get kills, but it gets kills. Even if you're not the go-to source of damage late game, you still often pick up kills on runners or set-up kills for assists for your teammates. Ahri punishes you hard for being out of position when you have this item.

Rylai's one good enough item but I see no other position to put it in than substituting Morello's. If you have any other ideas, though, I'd love to see them.

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
Please listen to me instead of just ignoring me. Get a Deathcap early and that damage gets built into the rest of your combo. Then you build a Lich bane to take advantage of AP.

I'll try that in this next match, for sure. I'll share my results :]

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
But as stated, there are higher priority items. Abyssal Scepter also gives you armor and shreds MR, which is also damage. Rylai's is a core item on Ahri, hands down.

Well, I've never tried making tanky Ahri, but I'll certainly try that. Your credits =)

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
The other stats should matter to you a lot. Your selected items show a disturbing trend of only paying attention to one feature of an item and you're basically ignoring the potential builds that Ahri has at her disposal.

I meant that the other stats on Lich Bane didn't matter, but yes they do matter, indeed. Again never tried tanky Ahri, so I can't say.

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
No offense, but your guide is nothing exceptional. There are better guides out there and part of that is because they at least explain what their build accomplishes. However, I have yet to see a truly comprehensive all-you-need-to-know guide. It doesn't exist as far as I'm aware. And yours falls short of the mark. It takes more than a recitation of stats we already know about Ahri to impress.

Well well, thank you. I like when people say this, because then I can make a better work. Any ideas on how may I do better?

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
I mean, I suppose auto-attacks don't miss the way skill-shots do, but it seems to me there are overall better build orders if you really want to do Lich bane procs.
Hmm, that's a valid argument. I'll try making Lich Bane later in the game.

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
(Two books and Blasting Wand into Lich bane into DFG. This will give you an AP base and an extra burst spell. Take ignite for even more burst.)

Great, never considered doing this build.

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
(Get two blasting wands, a Null-magic and Negatron in an unspecified order for early MR and AP scaling. Build your Abyssal Scepter and Lich bane. Get Merc Treads if needed for more MR and Tenacity. If not needed, get Sorc shoes for more MR shredding. Congrats, you're a tanky MR terror against AP carries.

Hmmm. . . must try this against Kassadin sometime.)

Never tried that, will do later.
Quote:
PlayGooYa:
(Needlessly Large Rod into Lich bane followed by Deathcap. Or two Blasting Wands into Lich Bane then Deathcap. This is your early game "advantage" build, since you'll hit pretty hard and your Lich Bane will have some extra damage to back it up.)
I'll make Doran's, Hex Revolver, Rab's, Rylai and then Lich Bane in this upcoming match. I'll tell you the results.

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
As it stands, you seem to have this weird grab-bag of utility stats that don't really synergize well.

In then ending, they kinda do. Seriously.

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
Doran's is a valid start, but it's mostly something you get if you need mana regen more than health sustain. Besides that, boots make dodging attacks easier. Even when they're click-and-pick spells, which tend to be shorter-ranged than skill shots.

I try to use skills only to hiw the enemy champion. I try farming minions with basic attacks, and that works out pretty well if you can time it.

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
As explained, cooldowns and spell vamp aren't strictly necessary on Ahri. There are more important stats.
<br>They're good stats, mainly Spell Vamp. Saves you sometimes and lets you stay more time on lane.<br>
<br>
Quote:
PlayGooYa:
Scaling AP early shouldn't affect you much in the laning phase anyway. It's not like you're getting that Revolver all that early.

The Revolver is kinda cheap (Only ~1200) and it's very useful early-mid game. Also helps a bit late game.

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
Debatable. How many AP carries are on your team? Two on the outside? At most?

OK, I agree on that. WoTA depends on the AP carries you have on the team. You've got a point there.

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
Sustain is nice, but early game it's not always strictly necessary. I don't begrudge people who start that way and like to play "immovable object." But my personal goals are to prioritize building Ahri tanky-AP.

And yes, tanky Ahri does scale into late-game better than you'd think.

OK, will try that.

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
Ahri shouldn't be alone that often except in early laning phase. Even were that not the case, Rylai's plus WOTA is a pretty silly combo for kiting enemies. You don't chase an Ahri with those two items. It's as bad as chasing Singed. They'll both just whittle you down and now you're out of position with no health.

So, that's the point. Never chase an Ahri.

Quote:
PlayGooYa:
Yes, ignite. But that's utterly ignorable if Ahri chooses to ult away instead of kiting. And people don't always have ignite available.

I prefer to attack and use the last ult to get away if I can't get the kill. Except of course when I've got no chance.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

DLT CorE

Senior Member

03-30-2012

v1.3.0 Updated!

Added Runes