how is ezreal any good?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Angrec

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2010

So I joined league of legends a couple weeks ago and its mainly been fun so far. I started playing the free fiddlesticks then I bought warwick. I was really enjoying it once I learned how to jungle, even mixed it up a bit with annie.

After I picked up ww I started saving for ezreal, the guy who got me into l.o.l. said "best character in game if you want a carry get him" ok so I started grinding for him. Stupidly I bought him blind, right before he rotated in, off of sentiments from forums, tier listing and the opinions of the guy who got me into this game.

I dont know how you guys say he is good, with ad his late game is terrible, it seems all his damage is autoattack since mystic shot starts sucking damage wise at that level. Ap just generally seems lackluster and his squishiness amazes me for the lack of damage/cc he has. It seems like the only reason anyone would take them over a xin zhao or ashe (or even an annie or rhyze for the ap side) would be blink.

So what am I doing wrong here? Its not skillshots because i ussually hit almost every one of them. Im so frustrated at grinding up that hellacious amount only to find he seems to be terrible in comparison to other champions.

Remani

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2010

This is particularly why we keep telling you new players to just wait until you find a champ in the free rotation that works for you. In most cases, this "omg OP champ" won't be the only champion you'll be good at playing, and may not even be the best for you. Ashe is a much worthier harasser and does far more damage late game, as well as her ultimate having a bit more utility in mid-game ganks.

Now, with that being said - Ezreal is still an extremely competent champion, especially when built as AD. That's not to say, however, that AD is the best damage output. His abilities don't benefit from AD as they would from AP but people choose this path because it's the mindnumbingly easiest build for 90% of the characters in the game: "If I stand here and auto attack you, you'll die eventually, right?". Building him AP requires much more effort, skill, and all around better placement of attacks. Personally, in my time of playing Ezreal, I've had much more luck building him AP. His ultimate becomes unbelievable when entering team fights where the opposing team is clustered, and every single ability he has is considered early to mid-game harassment if done properly and consistently.

Give him some time, and try him AP a bit more - Riot doesn't develop characters who rely on AP for their abilities just for fun and a good laugh, there's a reason behind it. I wouldn't consider him viable in ranked games at the moment, but he still does his part.

Angrec

08-04-2010

Yeah I got him since my buddy who is apparently high elo says "yeah best character he is my second best after taric" and the pressure to get him over, say vlad.

I just find his cons way outweigh his pros and have a hard time finding a way around it.
Pro-high mobility
pro- sniper like with the length of his mystic shot
pro- a well placed w or r can do a great amount of damage

con- insanely squishy, half the games a xin will be playing and switch to my lane, i dont think its possible to survive him most of the time
con- no utility compared to annie, ashe or other casters
con- his damage seemed subpar compared to when i was playing ww annie or fiddle

Im insanely frustrated, I spent alllll that time grinding him up to only find that other champions do his job better, unless im missing something here.

Also i ussually get mercury treads, chalice, ghostblade and sheen, with the other items varying with who im fighting. And its not skillshots either, im fairly accurate with those.

Remani

08-04-2010

Mercury treads are extremely situational and really only make a difference early to mid game at best. It's an items that strictly depends on who you're playing by factoring in two major things to consider:

A: Is a person the other team capable of stunning or slowing me for long periods of time and is this person capable of doing so consecutively in short amounts of time.

and B: Is this same person also capable of taking me on or overpowering my tower dives 1v1 early to mid game (i.e. Xin, Rammus, maybe Shen, very few others).

Besides that, I'd look at getting Berserk's for early game and then replace them with Swiftness towards late game if you plan on building AP, mainly to increase your mobility. The chalice of harmony, by the way, is useless late game if you're buying the proper items that increase your mana pool while at the same time sufficiently increasing your AP damage. If you've been building AD and getting the chalice, that's even worse. Ghostblade is, at best, a mid game item. Easily replaced by a number of AD items that will increase your auto-attack crits and your damage by a much greater amount.

Again, try AP a few more times and see how it goes. He's extremely fragile and his abilities require an insane ability to place your character in the right place at the right time, but it's a much more effective build than AD late game.

Angrec

08-04-2010

Do you have a suggested item order? Also its not skill shots i have trouble with, its lack of damage.

Remani

08-04-2010

Well skill shots no longer matter once you go AD, with the exception of the Mystic Shot and Sheen combo.

That being said, if you're building AD on a ranged character it's best to focus on attack speed with a good balance of crit and damage. Berserker's Greaves (switching to Swiftness late game), and then working to Madred's Bloodrazor is great to build up to, but it can usually wait until mid game at the least. Last whisper, Infinity Edge, and a Phantom Dancer (or two if you find the extra dodge and crit to be more helpful). Under the assumption that you get Boots of Swiftness, Madred's Bloodrazor, Infinity Edge, Last Whisper, and only one Phantom Dancer - your last item is essentially a **** shoot depending on who you're playing against. As AD, Frozen Mallot isn't a terrible choice as it will slow stragglers mid to late game with normal attacks, plus the little extra health and damage is a bonus. If you seem to be hitting roughly a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio in games, then Sword of the Occult isn't bad, but it has little utility without 20 stacks. Besides that, go with a Bloodthirster or Gunblade for the life steal. Bloodthirster for extra damage if you refrain from dying, and Gunblade for both auto attack and ability life steal.

AP build is a bit simpler, Rylai's, Boots of Swiftness (or the mag. pen boots), Void Staff for decent AP and a hell of a lot of magic pen, Zhonya's Ring for the 25% increased AP on top of the 120 it gives you, Will of the Ancients for decent AP a lot of spell vamp (life steal) once your abilities start doing more damage. Again, the last item is up to you depending on the team your facing, but a lot of Ezreals will choose Guardian Angel for revive, Deathfire grasp for ability cooldowns and the Active that deals a decent amount of damage, or Mejai's if they maintain a 3:1 or 4:1 ratio.

Angrec

08-04-2010

thanks ill give that a shot, maybe if i can salvage this mess with that advice

Angrec

08-04-2010

tried both your suggestions, his damage still sucks in comparison to a lot of the other champions. Is there any way i can refund him im so frustrated at this i just want to uninstall

Kungfengshui

08-04-2010

I'm not sure what would still be happening that would make you feel he's weak...? How many games have you played with him so far? I'm also a new-ish player and picked up Ez after only playing him a couple times (thanks to the all-champs-playable store bug thing!), and really enjoy him. He's by far the champion I've had the most fun and overall success with, other than maybe Nasus.

Your squishiness is almost completely offset by your mobility and positioning. A few things that have made it easier on me as an Ez newbie are (keep in mind I've only played him as AD so far!):

- Playing Ez as an AD build until I get the hang of his overall strategies, timing, aiming, etc. Then I'll explore the AP builds (most people agree it's more challenging but more useful long-term) and see which one works for me in which situations.
- Starting out with Cleanse and Flash, so that I can get out of almost any situation alive by shaking the CC and double-blinking. Now that I have a better sense of his squishiness, I'm weaning myself off Flash so that I can tinker with Ignite.
- Work at improving map awareness. Ez is a pretty hated champ, so gankers (especially stealthers) will be gunning for you at all times. If someone calls an MIA or you've lost track of them on the map, assume they are coming for you and keep your escape abilities ready rather than using them to harass. In fact, I would say as a new Ez player, don't even use Flash or E offensively, as chases often turn into ambushes. Also look into dropping Wards starting at early mid-game if you find yourself being targeted.
- In group fights, hang back behind everyone and be an opportunist. Hit the mess of champs with W, help burst down people with Q, and as you feel more confident, get within auto-attack range; most enemies won't notice until you've dished out a lot of damage. As you gain more confidence, blink to chase down runners, keeping an eye on escape routes if another champ breaks off to follow.
- Start doing the small things that make Ez effective in the mental aspect of the game, i.e. be a frustrating pest. Use your ulti to try and kill people that B back to their base with low health, or use it to killsteal the buff NPCs from enemy champs. Use your skillshots from the other side of jungle terrain to help out other lanes (this is great for killing champs who are tower-hugging with low HP, too stubborn to B).

Most of all, exploit the hell out of your range abilities. Ez has the advantage of being able to hit people without putting himself at risk. It takes a lot of practice in managing your space moment-to-moment, but I guess that's a big part of why he is considered hard to learn. Don't give up on him just yet!

Remani

08-04-2010

Yeah, actually Kung that's a good point. Flash is a great summoner spell for champions like Katarina, Ezreal, and even Tryndamere. Kat is a bit more situational as you need a target to Shunpo to, but it is still useful none the lesswhen combined with flash. Using flash with Ezreal's blink ability is key to escaping in almost every situation imaginable.