Smurfs?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zimlicious

08-04-2010

Thank you for reading.

Anyway, I haven't even been playing LoL for a week and I mostly play practice games (still not comfortable with normal ones). About an hour ago, I played one practice game and this guy "Nintendo Yi" kept calling players from my team (including me) "smurfs".

I asked him to define what a "smurf" was but he was reluctant, only after everyone else started asking did he reply with something along the lines of "it's when a high level player has a low level account". Is this true?

He also said some guy called "freak" personally told him to report "smurfs" as "smurfing" calls for instant bans. Is this also true?

Are new players supposed to play without reading guides before playing the game? I wasn't scoring anything impressive but now I feel hesitant about playing and actually paying for anything related to this game.

Or am I just being trolled?

UnNinja

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-04-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisteR WargasM View Post
Or am I just being trolled?
This. He did give you the correct definition of smurf, but as far as I know, it's not bannable. And Phreak (yes, with a ph) works for riot games.

R66Y

08-04-2010

Phreak has played on smurf accounts (as, I suspect, has most of Riot at one time or another).

Riot has said that while there are downsides to smurfing, there are also benefits (playing with new player to help them, playing with friends without dragging them into high level games, etc.) and thus they are not banning for it. They expect their smurf detection in MM to handle the worst offenders by kicking them into a higher Elo fairly quickly. Only way I can see anything happening is if you were to use a smurf account to grief new players, but it would be the griefing that would be punished, not the act of smurfing in itself (and no, playing well does not equal griefing).

Zimlicious

08-04-2010

Thanks, you guys.

Starr

08-04-2010

Meh, nearly all smurfs, or all the smurfs i've played are total jerks/trolls.

They never once offer advice, and just trash talk or flame their team to a crisp if he/she is losing.

Bonesetter

08-05-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamah View Post
Meh, nearly all smurfs, or all the smurfs i've played are total jerks/trolls.

They never once offer advice, and just trash talk or flame their team to a crisp if he/she is losing.
You say this, but I'll show you another side to smurfs that you don't know about.

I smurf. No one ever knows that I'm a smurf. I offer advice, don't trash talk or flame my team to a crisp, even if we're losing.

The "good" smurfs are out there doing their duty. They're playing low-level games, offering tidbits of advice to new players, enjoying some away time from their mains. They're good smurfs because they didn't give themselves away.

Yes, angry, raging smurfs make a bad name for themselves. That's what the /ignore feature and report feature are for.

Just don't discount the silent, white knights of LoL doing our duty, helping new players while looking for nothing in return.

LagMonster

08-05-2010

The problem is that the quiet smurf isnt identified as a smurf so we cant give them the credit that they deserve. The only smurfs we find out about are the people I have to ignore or report EVERY game. I only wish I was exaggerating when I say that I have not yet played a full game where I didnt have to at the very least ignore someone on my own team. And, if my team is losing? then its usually 2 people. And, not just normal games. PRACTICE games as well. These "winners" make themselves known even before the minions spawn!

I have only responded to one of them ever, and all I said was "does putting down your teammates make your IP/XP ratios bigger?" and within 5 seconds they quit the game. Oh wait, I did respond to another one, sorta. Another new player was fighting back at the smurf that was berating the team, saying that they needed to go back to eating doritos and drinking mountain dew. I jumped in because I had a funny image pop into my head, and I said "naw, they seem more like the kind of person that would want to go to Red Lobster with Shooter McGavin from Happy Gilmore".... Well, I thought it was funny at the time.

Non-helpful smurfs are a real hot button item for me, and the primary reason that I have not nor will I soon be buying riot points or champion bundles. And it bothers me to say that, because even in the short time Ive been playing this game (since 7/31), I have come to really enjoy the complexities.

Saregod

08-05-2010

you'll get used to it.

PurelyAtomic

03-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSarekox View Post
you'll get used to it.
Yes, ignoring the problem is obviously the best way to proceed.

Obviously.

Panzerfaust

Emissary of the League

03-31-2011

Responding to the least useful part of an eight month old thread... not so useful...

(Don't necro old threads for no reason.)