Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Can we update Sion's design?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

HeartlessXiao

03-25-2012

Honestly, what Sion looks like (crazy undead axe wielding bruiser who wants to chop you apart), and what he actually ends up becoming in game (either the aforementioned bruiser, or something completely different-- a burst mage) just really contradict with each other.

If he's supposed to be an crazy undead axeman, how does he freeze stun someone by staring at them? Why would the stare move like a particle? How does he generate a large exploding shield?

If he's a mage, why is he wielding a huge axe? Why don't his clothing, weapon, or design reflect his ability to cast magical spells at all?

Of course, there's the deeper issue of the binary gameplay mechanics where DPS Sion and AP Sion both only really have two spells, but I feel like a lot of things can be communicated much more clearly if we just updated Sion's design and model. When someone first sees Sion, they think, "****, that's a badass axe wielding psycho! He must be a tank or a fighter." They don't expect him to have a playstyle where he runs around like a little girl blowing things up then running away.

Again, I'm not asking for his gameplay to be changed, since he's been like this for pretty much forever and his identity is pretty much set in stone in the minds of the players. He can still have a dual AP/AD kit, but at least make him look capable of fulfilling both roles. His stun/ shield don't make much sense on a fighter (visually), and his appearance doesn't make sense on a mage. Why not give him a jagged bone-club-staff or a more magical appearance (while retaining his undead psycho look) and change other cosmetic things to better communicate what he actually becomes in game? Does his stun have to be a particle "stare." Can't he cast some spell that invokes paralyzing terror in his opponents from his staff? Or conjure a magical shield from the souls of his victims?

I know Sion is a very old design, but I feel like with all the model reworks and updates, that Sion is definitely most in need of an update. Many of the changes don't even have to be in the actual particles/ design, but merely in his skill tooltips.

TL;DR Sion's design seems very convulated and doesn't give appropriate expectations for players for how the character plays out. Change his design to more accurately reflect how Sion is played while retaining his AP/ AD kit.

Octopusbread

03-25-2012

Tulips

QuestionMaaark

03-25-2012

who cares?

ShadySam

03-25-2012

Turtle Fetish

03-25-2012

How does the sun resurrect everyday? What magic is this?

Afflictid

03-25-2012

I'm scared ****less of any Sion that finishes their Phantom Dancer.

Crystalslash

03-25-2012

Mages don't need robes, regardless of what you've read or seen. They wear robes because mages are generally weaker then your axe chopping mad man.

HeartlessXiao

03-25-2012

Quote:
QuestionMaaark:
who cares?

Riot should care. You've become accustomed to Sion the way he is, but he's very confusing for new players to connect his kit with his appearance. It's something that you're basically forcing them to accept. From a design standpoint, Sion is definitely subpar.

If new champions like Omen are being scrapped because of design issues, and old skins are being "put into the vault" because they don't live up to Riot's new standards, then archaic designs like Sion ought to be changed as well.

HeartlessXiao

03-25-2012

Quote:
Crystalslash:
Mages don't need robes, regardless of what you've read or seen. They wear robes because mages are generally weaker then your axe chopping mad man.

They don't need to wear a robe. They just need to seem capable of casting magic. Visually looking at Sion, his stun, which is a "Cryptic Gaze," doesn't even seem to be originating from his eyes, but rather from his axe. These type of things just don't make much sense.

I'm not going to pretend to know how to better communicate his skillset in his design (I know I tried in the OP, but probably not very well), but these are just some things that bug me about Sion as a champion.

HeartlessXiao

03-25-2012

bump