Low elo SR, High Elo Dominion or vice versa

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

baloons

03-24-2012

I'm curious about how many low elo ranked SR players find themselves high elo in dominion? And as a followup, why do they think they can do so well in one mode, versus the other?

For the high elo SR and dominion players, any thoughts on why someone who can play high elo in one, fails in the other? Certainly we've not seen the high elo SR players dominate in dominion; in fact I would guess most higher elo dominion players are gold or below..

I'll venture a couple guesses. In SR, your need to be able to last hit and farm gold or you will have trouble getting beyond gold rating; dominion has no such requirement. In SR, you need to be able to pressure you opponents and strike when they are weak, etc. Dominion has similar requirements, but they are different objectives and methods. In addition excelling at fighting small skirmishes is more important in dominion than a full on teamfight; whereas in SR if your ultimately a bad teamfight player you will have trouble winning games. Perhaps patience plays a part as well in addition to the aggressiveness of play required when in a winning/losing position.

FYI, this comes from an unranked scrub SR player (I haven't played season 2 at all -- I think I played 2 games last June in the "pre-season") who seems to have found more success (definitely more fun!) in playing dominion.

EDIT: Editing to say, perhaps the number 1 reason given is that will be given is that there are only a handful of good dominion players, so being high elo is akin to being slightly better than average at SR :-) hehe

Makestro

03-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by 21balloons View Post
I'm curious about how many low elo ranked SR players find themselves high elo in dominion? And as a followup, why do they think they can do so well in one mode, versus the other?

For the high elo SR and dominion players, any thoughts on why someone who can play high elo in one, fails in the other? Certainly we've not seen the high elo SR players dominate in dominion; in fact I would guess most higher elo dominion players are gold or below..

I'll venture a couple guesses. In SR, your need to be able to last hit and farm gold or you will have trouble getting beyond gold rating; dominion has no such requirement. In SR, you need to be able to pressure you opponents and strike when they are weak, etc. Dominion has similar requirements, but they are different objectives and methods. In addition excelling at fighting small skirmishes is more important in dominion than a full on teamfight; whereas in SR if your ultimately a bad teamfight player you will have trouble winning games. Perhaps patience plays a part as well in addition to the aggressiveness of play required when in a winning/losing position.

FYI, this comes from an unranked scrub SR player (I haven't played season 2 at all -- I think I played 2 games last June in the "pre-season") who seems to have found more success (definitely more fun!) in playing dominion.

EDIT: Editing to say, perhaps the number 1 reason given is that will be given is that there are only a handful of good dominion players, so being high elo is akin to being slightly better than average at SR :-) hehe

I never made it to high ranks on classic mainly because I'm always forced to play support and the people who want mid or bot normally are ****ty players who suck at last hitting and staying alive. I even took heal my last 2 ranked games I played support and these morons get caught so hard I can't heal through it.

PrometheanRage

03-24-2012

I am a scrub - 1400 elo in dominion, but better there than SR. currently I am -3 wins or so in SR and +20 or 25 wins in dominion.

I suck at last hitting and laning, as well as mana management. Probably explains the difference well enough.

Huniz

03-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrometheanRage View Post
I am a scrub - 1400 elo in dominion, but better there than SR. currently I am -3 wins or so in SR and +20 or 25 wins in dominion.

I suck at last hitting and laning, as well as mana management. Probably explains the difference well enough.
I have a somewhat of a Bot game addiction, and through just playing SR bot games every once in a while, I found myself better at last hitting, and through that my champion control improved in Dom. So maybe try that out, only if you want to be better at it.

inFe eD

03-24-2012

Honestly, a lot of skills carry over from one to the other. I was not surprised in the least that Sauron was a plat player, you need some experience managing a lane in SR to really be omnipotent at bot lane solo. Last hitting, something negligible in every other lane, is fairly srs bsns down there, and the amount of bot laners I see who can't or, worse yet, don't even try to last hit at high elo is appaling.

For top lane, it's the mentality that game objectives matter more than kills. For example, a team that, after an ace, pills back to heal and buy items is bad in both modes, since there are always objectives you can claim uncontested while they're all pushing up daisies. A team that chases a fleeing hero instead of killing an inhibitor/capturing a control point is universally bad.

Orphane

03-24-2012

Last hitting is still a valuable skill in Dominion. Each minion wave is worth 120 gold and they spawn much faster than in SR. Obviously you don't want to ignore objectives to just sit and farm minion waves, because that's liable to get you ganked. Brush juking and positioning are still important.

What's different is the strategic thinking you have to apply to Dominion.

inFe eD

03-24-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orphane View Post
What's different is the strategic thinking you have to apply to Dominion.
Well, not really. You could make a strong case that the old HotshotGG, afk-farm Nidalee top, was the POOTERS of ranked queue.

He would go top, and become an unstoppable pushing force. Nidalee was so absurdly hard, especially since he took Ghost/Flash, to catch that they'd send half or, sometimes, their entire team to chase him. While he was leading them on a merry chase, his team would push mid/bot and basically win the game while they killed Hotshot over and over simply because he was so annoying. He'd end the game with a disgusting score like 1-10, but anyone with half a brain could tell he was singlehandedly winning his team the entire game that way, probably laughing his ass off the entire time. He was notorious for raging back then, but frankly if I was trolling their entire team 1v5 and my team is standing around watching instead of pushing lanes I would find it incredibly hard not to rage or at least be deeply, bitterly sarcastic.

Sound familiar?

Sauron

03-24-2012

I just tried SR again with Nekrogen after not playing it for 6 months.

It only took a few games to get the last-hitting, mia calls, and ward placements back to normal. Now if people would just stop afking or leaving games...

The queue times were really nice though. 2 seconds? Good god what have I been missing?

AbsolutePK

03-24-2012

I've only played 180 SR games and I was always Karthus or Anivia mid.

That's probably why.

Stylodon

03-24-2012

I'm mid 1300's in SR and 1900+ in dominion
I think I could get much higher in SR, I just dont play ranked a lot because I cant stand having bad teammates in ranked games
I just play dominion games when I didnt have friends on to play norm sr games and wanted something that was fun to solo queue and mess around in, I was 1700 elo when I first checked jabe bot