Runes and masteries

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

FowSsS

03-23-2012

**I post this here because there isn't any other place to do so**

So, by a rainy day, I finaly crumble to my friend's request to try out LoL, since it's somehow better then HoN. The first players I get to play against are : 5 level 30 with a decent amount of games played and a bunch of advantages I don't have. So this leads us to an important question: Are the runes and masteries fair? I obviously think they are not. Yes, I'm criticizing 3 of the biggest differences between LoL, Dota and HoN, and I think these 2 things make the game unfair. Let me explain.

1st of all, let me tell you that, being a HoN player, it's REALLY frustrating to reach level 30, because before you do so, you're 100% sure to get owned by some kids with over 1000 games played, level 30, 10 rune pages and a filled up masterie tree. Some may think the boost runes/masteries give are really meaningless, although, when you've been through a game where there's none of that, and the heroes tend to do the same amount of damage every single time they land a spell on you (which means you can expect X amount of damage from X spell at any given time of the game) , it's really frustrating to just get destroyed by the other players with runes, just because they had that tiny advantage you didn't expect, which was enough to kill you, unfortunately. So my point here is that, these things donít encourage new players to keep going on because theyíll fell like itís unfair.

Then, thereís also the fact that these advantages make the game hard to balance, nearly impossible. The reason behind this is that the runes allow you to boost something your hero lack of. For example, if you fell like Leblanc is way too squishy when you play her, you can fix this by buying health runes or magic/armor. Once youíve got this, Leblanc as basically no more deficient side to her, which makes her OP. Iíve often heard this: ďThe runes donít affect as much the late gameĒÖ The problem is that, late game is determinate by early game, so if you get to win a lane simply because youíve got a somewhat OP hero, itís not fair through the whole game.

This being said, I think Riot should remove or modify these features (Runes / Masteries) to allow themselves to balance better the game and to avoid losing new players due to the frustration these features may cause to them.

bardwooder

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-23-2012

Matchmaking will never place lvl 1-5 with lvl 30 in one match unless there is a premade with 30 lvl + 4 ppl lvl 1-5

FowSsS

03-23-2012

We'll that what I did lol

bigmontana

03-23-2012

Is it unfair? Yes
Will it be changed? No
Why is this? It gives people a chance to make a lasting improvement to their profile and rewards lots of playtime. It also allows people to build specific kits to cater to their tastes (like your hypothetical tanky LeBlanc).
Basically, full rune pages on lvl 30s vs other lvl 30s are balanced. For this reason 30s are often queued only with other 30s, though if you're in premade groups the queue will be based on the group not just you. I would recommend asking your friends to make new accounts to play with you till you get high enough for runes and masteries to make less of a difference. While it doesn't make a very big difference late game it can be more substantial early as you stated so just play extra safe the first few levels if you're worried your opponents might have a rune/mastery advantage over you

FowSsS

03-23-2012

A moba game becomes balanced when each heroes have their own power.. the problem with runes is that it allow you (early game) to have not only your own hero's power, but also more then that with a little boost from runes. Runes are probably the reason why the laning phase last till like level 11... It's not the entertaining game play your looking for into a game =/... I mean, every single game I've played so far, good player on carries are the only thing that matter to determinate who's going to win the game because you can't stop them from farming early game cause of runes / summoner spells... so if you have let's say a team with 1 support 1 AP 2 assassin (1 jungling) and 1 tank against a team with 1 carry 1 AP 1 tank 1 support and 1 jungler... the team with a carry is almost guaranteed a win, because the line up are all oriented towards AD carries... the runes doesn't allow for different kind of teams (the 1st one I named would be a team that build up a big advantage early one by constantly killing their enemies!!!)

Gilzam

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-23-2012

It's called playing with a goal in mind. SoloQ and you'll play with people your summoner level