Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Why achievements would be BAD in League

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Riot GutsyBat

Product Coordinator

03-23-2012

To put it simply, achievements are GREAT in single player games or casual multiplayer games. Good achievements often are memorable, game play additions, and unique challenges. For a good example, this achievement in Half-Life 2:

http://www.xbox360achievements.org/game/half-life-2-the-orange-box/achievement/9366-Zombie-Chopper.html

It requires the player to not only limit themselves, but to also take a different approach to the level. I always made an effort to hunt for good items to throw (and named a Buzzsaw Billy, alliteration is key) and felt defenseless whenever I lost my item or was swarmed. It created a very positive and memorable experience.

So why not add achievements to League?

Interesting achievements are toxic to team-based competitive multiplayer games. Certain players will certainly favor achievements over actually winning the game. Even innocent seeming achievements can cause problems

Example achievement: "Champion of the League"
Goal: Win a normal game with every champion in the league
Problem: Normal/Ranked players will be more inclined to randomly try characters they've never played as to win games.

And another

Example Achievement: "Minion slayer"
Goal: Achieve 200 CS by 23 minutes
Problem: Players may disregard their teammates in order to get achievement. Like ignoring a team fight in order to focus on CSing.

Basically what I'm getting at is most gamers LOVE achievements. But I'm willing to not have them in order to preserve the integrity of competition in League of legends. We have artificial achievements through the Ranked system. (Badges, banners, skins, etc.)

I mean the only kind that would really work are the "Win 200 games!" achievements, and those are pretty boring aren't they?

TL;DR: Achievements in team based competitive games are poisonous to the actual competition, and people would do stupid things to earn them.

Riot GutsyBat

Product Coordinator

03-23-2012

shameless buump

Damnnation

03-23-2012

Get Good: Achieve 2100 elo

YourPalMal

03-23-2012

I agree 100% with you. Every time I see a thread asking for achievements I say the exact same thing that you just said.

"No guys I won't teamfight because I have to slay the golems 10 times this game. IDC that I'm not the jungler"

IS1f86cf54b88179589488c

03-23-2012

has a wow player, nothing was more annoying than to go on a random dungeon, most prob the 5/6 you did that day, and there would be always 1 guy, trying to do the most boring and random achiev, just to get a drake, making us wipe sometimes

so yes i agree...i don't want people throwing lots of games away just for achievs

Lucariolu

Recruiter

03-23-2012

meh that could be fixed easy, jsut add "and win the game with a positive team score" at the end of each achievement

Witster

03-23-2012

What's wrong with players trying out new champions?

And what's wrong with players getting 200 cs? even if you lose that teamfight because they weren't there: you still have someone with 200 cs at 23 minutes.

Riot GutsyBat

Product Coordinator

03-23-2012

Quote:
****nation:
Get Good: Achieve 2100 elo

I think the badge colors/name plates have that covered

Riot GutsyBat

Product Coordinator

03-23-2012

Quote:
Witster:
What's wrong with players trying out new champions?

And what's wrong with players getting 200 cs? even if you lose that teamfight because they weren't there: you still have someone with 200 cs at 23 minutes.

Nothing is wrong with players trying new champions IN CUSTOM GAMES.

I'd argue trying new champions in Normal is even a bad thing. I'd also point out that there would be plenty of players in "Elo hell" just playing characters they've never played for the sake of the achievement.

Having one character with 200 cs isn't worth the enemy team getting four kills, than any objectives they want.

Riot GutsyBat

Product Coordinator

03-23-2012

Quote:
Lucariolu:
meh that could be fixed easy, jsut add "and win the game with a positive team score" at the end of each achievement

Wouldn't fix it. Players would still make short term decisions that cause them to lose the game.