League of Legends WORKING on Linux

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

cdeuce

Senior Systems Administrator

04-30-2012
8 of 9 Riot Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mokai View Post
Hippie Zilean is nice and all, but for posting so much in a Linux thread cdeuce deserves himself a Hipster Zilean icon.
Lol, ty. I selected that image a while ago so maybe an update is in order.

zaaPPY

04-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by geqo View Post
Working perfectly on mine.

zaaPPY, try typing in the address manually in the address bar of your file manager (e.g. Mine is Dolphin, on Linux Mint KDE). Or try accessing the folder from the terminal (plenty of tutorials online for browsing folders and copying files from the terminal - google )
Hey, Thanks for replying, but when i try to install Dolphin i get this error "There seems to be a programming error in aptdaemon, the software that allows you to install/remove software and to perform other package management related tasks."

The Details were:
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 972, in simulate
trans.unauthenticated = self._simulate_helper(trans)
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/aptdaemon/worker.py", line 1096, in _simulate_helper
return depends, self._cache.required_download, \
File "/usr/lib/python2.7/dist-packages/apt/cache.py", line 235, in required_download
pm.get_archives(fetcher, self._list, self._records)
SystemError: E:I wasn't able to locate a file for the ttf-mscorefonts-installer package. This might mean you need to manually fix this package.
And i don't know how to manually fix it.

I tried google as well but none of the information helped me.

Boompje

Senior Wrenchmen

04-30-2012

Why are you using python files to set up LoL on unix? You need a wine engine and maybe a rework of the launcher.. On a side note, some of you may have heard from me from the iLoL project.. my team and me are going to work on bringing that to Unix Soon™ .. Any help would obviously be appreciated

zaaPPY

04-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompje View Post
Why are you using python files to set up LoL on unix? You need a wine engine and maybe a rework of the launcher.. On a side note, some of you may have heard from me from the iLoL project.. my team and me are going to work on bringing that to Unix Soon™ .. Any help would obviously be appreciated
Hey, Thanks for Replying But what do you mean by python files? I am completely new to Linux.

FinrodUrFelagund

04-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeuce View Post
I've seen this problem myself in the two games I've played to completion so far. In one of the games the last 5 minutes (of a 45 minute game) was so "lurchy" that it was hard to tell what was really going on. I get the feeling that it has to do with the video buffer, but I have no hard evidence of that yet. I didn't have a chance to play around with this over the weekend but I plan to spend a little time on it this week if possible.

One solution would be to just finish all games in under 20 minutes - j/k
Hi,

I used to have this problem myself, someone else has mentioned it on here - it's a memory leak - there is a patch available which I can verify works on my system... games used to be unplayable after 20min, by 30 or beyond down to about 1fps or so. Building wine from source with the ntdll patch fixed this for me. Best info on the WineHQ page:

Code:
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=19141
*For some reason all the links from the LoL forums to WineHQ get broken*

Scroll down to "Increasing FPS (from 2012.03.07)"

Haven't since found the need to try the single core fix that has also been mentioned on there. Been interesting compiling a piece of software from source, successfully for the first time, other than that I use wine-1.4rc6, Ubuntu 10.04 LTS with all the winetricks and the same code to launch the game as the author of the tutorial at the top of this discussion. Exactly as they say:

Quote:
Known Bugs: Because this is NOT meant to be played on Linux, there ARE bugs.
-Store in Lobby/Launcher (NOT IN-GAME) does not work. If you press it, LoL Launcher.exe crashes.
-Health Bar on HUD remains full, no matter how much health you have.
-Recall Bar remains full while you recall.
Last two aren't really a problem, mini-map doesn't work properly for me either. I can see coloured circles but no icon for Champs - mouse hover works and tells me who they are though.
Currently buying champs through Profile page, not shop. Trying to get the RP/IP shop working now myself... unsuccessfully. Work around for everything else is currently my friends' non-Linux PC's :-(

@Larrik Jaerico looks to me like you and cdeuce have the same problem? Try it with a patched installation of Wine.

cdeuce

Senior Systems Administrator

04-30-2012
9 of 9 Riot Posts

LEGALESE TYPE DISCLAIMER: Riot Games does not support running our client on Linux. If you follow this tutorial, much like myself, it is of your own free will.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompje View Post
...On a side note, some of you may have heard from me from the iLoL project.. my team and me are going to work on bringing that to Unix Soon™ .. Any help would obviously be appreciated
I would like to participate and help out if I can. It wouldn't be as a representative of Riot, but I am interested in the project. Been trying to get it running on Linux off and on for the past three years now.

I just tried to play a live game (internal 5v5) and none of my keys would work. Couldn't chat, use abilities, or even exit the game. Bummer.

Boompje

Senior Wrenchmen

04-30-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdeuce View Post
LEGALESE TYPE DISCLAIMER: Riot Games does not support running our client on Linux. If you follow this tutorial, much like myself, it is of your own free will.

I would like to participate and help out if I can. It wouldn't be as a representative of Riot, but I am interested in the project. Been trying to get it running on Linux off and on for the past three years now.

I just tried to play a live game (internal 5v5) and none of my keys would work. Couldn't chat, use abilities, or even exit the game. Bummer.
IF you ( everyone who reads this ) have a good knowledge of Unix and programming / Wine skills, feel free to register on my website and send me a PM. (www.boompje.net).

The "FPS Fix" (for the bug that caused heavy FPS loss over time) was solved by "ranma42", who is now part of my team, same goes for the one who wrote the patch for ws2_32.dll.so, that fixes bugs that do not allow you to enter the game and give an error related to visual C++, which was from Klickverbot.

We are using Wine 1.4.rc1. The 1.5.x versions gave problems with compatibility for several video cards.

For people who have problems with stuff like the health/mana bars and recall bars: play with the config file. I'll see if I can dig up the settings we are using right now..

kyototom

05-01-2012

Hi.

My tutorial is more thorough than this thread, you can check it out if you want.

There is a way to play LoL with the current graphics driver as well. I will probably update my tutorial with that information soon.

http://na.leagueoflegends.com/board/....php?t=2020528

Boompje

Senior Wrenchmen

05-01-2012

The problem is creating a version of League of Legends that would work on almost all of the Linux distro's. Due to some tiny differences between these builds, you would need a modified launcher and a modified pvp.net, since pvp.net has problems with the store on Linux.

Does anyone have any idea how to port native Mac applications (pvp.net is a native version that Riot distributed with their Mac client Beta) to a Unix environment?

Shatterlight

05-01-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrik Jaerico View Post

If you need to install directly instead of pulling a finished folder you need to do the following:

GC_DONT_GC=1 wine LeagueofLegends.exe
This will be helpful, thanks That may just fix the issue I was having before.

Boompje, I'm happy to see a project like yours going! Too bad I'm an uneducated peasant :/