Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

The reason people say unnecessary things (not just in LoL)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Norak

08-03-2010

A lot of people wonder why someone will say "Noob team" and "GG/BG, my team sucks" in all chat. Most people immediately assume that it is because they are shifting the blame on others so they don't feel bad about the loss. This is partly true, though I thought I should clarify.

There are a few different types of people in this game (or are generally alive, change the situation depending on what you want to compare people to):
1. The people who play for fun
These people will play the game only when they feel like it. They don't care about winning and generally are team players and encourage others. They will always say "gg" at the end of a match, in courtesy, and (generally) won't dish out on other players (aka saying unnecessary things).

These people are useful for their motivation and optimism.

2. The people who play to win
These people are usually quite competitive. They don't care as much about having fun, because they see themselves as having fun by winning. They will do any means necessary to win, that is playing a team comp that is considered op, a champion that is considered op, using tactics that people label "lame" and "noob" such as backdooring, etc. These people may be a little abusive at times, due to their team not winning, though they are extremely courteous and happy when they win.

These people are useful for the champions they play, as well as the strategies they use.

3. The people who play to display skill
This is the best, and at the same time, the worst type. They are the best in the fact that they have the most motivation to get good at a game. They will play champions that are labelled as hard to master, just to prove their skill, and will (usually) improve faster than any other player type. They are usually not seen playing champions classified as "op" or using backdooring strategies and the such (unless they want to be seen as good at backdooring). They are the worst in the fact that they are the most abusive and, generally speaking, people don't like them....Unless they are the same type.

Now, let me expand upon this. Myself, being type 3, I know that I am a complete a**hole at times. I always look back at things I say, or do, and I regret them, I honestly do. I think: "Wow, why did I say that? That provided nothing useful to my team...". One of the worst things is, I am like this to my friends...

The reason type 3 people say "GG Noob team" and the such at the end of the game is to try and prove to themselves, and everyone else playing, that it was not actually their fault. The problem with this is that they tend to say it even when their team DID their jobs and it was all down to luck and/or the enemy team being generally better.

These people are useful for their ability to carry, or generally demotivate the enemy.

This does not make what I, or anyone else like me or in type 2, do acceptable. I think we are complete idiots at times, but what I want you to do is look at it like this:
We all need each other.

The people who play to display skill are needed to carry, just as they need the people who play to win to play the "op" supports and tanks like Soraka and Shen and the people who play for fun to play the fun champions like Shaco and Ezreal.

I do not ask for forgiveness. No, because I know that you guys will not.
I do not ask you to +1 me or to say that I am right. No, because I know that you will not.

All I ask, is that next time you see an a**hole like me, or the "lame noob cho gath" that is backdooring your base, or the "annoying shaco" that keeps on ganking you, keep in mind:
It is a game, we are all here to enjoy ourselves, no matter which way we do so.

Thanks,
Norak.

bc87

08-03-2010

The people who play because they have nothing better to do?

Norak

08-03-2010

Quote:
bc87:
The people who play because they have nothing better to do?

Hahaha, lol'd.
+1

I honestly don't believe their is such a type, if you are being serious. They are catorgorised into "people who play for fun".

Zirkonium

08-03-2010

Part of your conclusion is wrong: the a**holes need the decent players, because if everyone on their team where a**holes they would end up fighting each other every game and never win.

The rest of us don't need the a**holes and would rather get rid of em.

Norak

08-03-2010

Quote:
Zirkonium:
Part of your conclusion is wrong: the a**holes need the decent players, because if everyone on their team where a**holes they would end up fighting each other every game and never win.

The rest of us don't need the a**holes and would rather get rid of em.

Ouch.
Lol, I couldn't help but take that a bit personally.

Well, according to my theory, a**holes all in a match *might* = failure or it might = a roflstomp. I honestly don't know.

All the "decent" players are nice, but honestly aren't usually as driven to get good at a game then the a**holes. Not saying that people who aren't there just to display their skills don't have a drive to get better, I'm not saying that at all. What I am saying is that people who DO revolve around their skill tend to be more pushed to increase it.

Nave222

08-03-2010

what about those who play for fun but take it seriously too??

Wingflier

08-03-2010

The problem I have with type 3 is that people are only that way because they are insecure. If you are secure with who you are, you don't need to SHOW THE WORLD how good you are at a video game, nobody cares.

Type 1 or 2 is the best to be, if you are type 3 you should examine yourself.

Itorbeh

08-03-2010

I agree with this being three strong typecasts for players of this game.

In truth though I think that each three of these aspects exist in everyone to varying degree's and wrestling with those aspects is the real challenge.

For me the line between type two and three is VERY blurred because some aspects of these two can fall down to opinion but I also realize I may just teeter between both at times.
The simple fact is though I cannot at all take this game serious enough to want to be competitive in it.

People who fall into type 2 who will play the op characters but do it to the level of mastery that a type 3 person plays at (though just for a single few characters) will always rely on in game mechanics that still exist within the game to gain their advantage.

I am referring to certain qualities which exist in the game that provide definite edges such as heal stacking, fast pushing compositions, or just regular old metagame (worst offender at the moment for balance is armor pen).

The fact that there are so many area's for the second type to utilize means the type 3 in me does not WANT to compete.

As a player who plays with friends I'm also finding my competitive nature isn't helping them enjoy the game (they who I would consider mostly type 1) so I have a choice to be their friends or care about winning a game I KNOW has balancing issues which other are willing to exploit then harass me saying their "skill" won it in the end.

Furpop

08-03-2010

2 and 3 are the same thing you just worded them differently...........

Pathen

08-03-2010

Your #1 is a pretty rose-colored interpretation there. I know plenty of people who play LoL just for fun, and are still terrible losers and poor team-players.