Best and Worst Lategame Bruisers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

ThatSriLankanKid

03-22-2012

Hello all. I just wanted to have a discussion on what the community thinks the best and the worst lategame bruisers are. Lategame is all about pushing, temfighting, and securing Nashor, so keep these these things in mind when analyzing bruisers on their lategame capabilities. Please feel free to offer your opinions on any of the the champs I mentioned as well as others that I haven't.
Note: This is coming from a 1200 elo player who plays bruiserfs almost exclusively, so my view on my bruisers/ strategy may be flawed, as I am not a good player.

The Good:

Wukong- In my mind, Wukong is the single best lategame bruiser. Why? He has good scaling on his q, e, and r, 80 points of free stats in 5 v 5 teamfights, a stealth gapcloser (w-->e to their carry), very flexible build and playstyle (fratmas, triforce, atmogs, bt whatever the hell you want and he's still good), and last but certainly not least an ulti with good aoe damage and a knockup. Wukong's teamfight presence is HUGE, and his q allows him and his team to push towers quite quickly. He does a good amount of sustained damage which makes taking Nashor fairly easily.
s

Gangplank- Gangplank is quite good at every stage of the game. He is a dominant lane force at all levels (especially lvls 1 and 6) and has a very, very strong midgame. His ulti gives him global presence without ever having to leave his lane. Lategame, he doesn't have the best scaling, but can still do fair amounts of damage if itemized well. What he provides late game is an AD and MS buff for your entire time (which is huge!!!), and an aoe ms debuff and damage (his ulti). Because of these abilities he has a huge teamfight presence, and makes pushing and taking Nashor easy.

Riven- While many people see Riven as a early/mid champion, I believe with the right team comp she is a valuable assest late game in teamfights. Riven is built best by focusing on abusing her absurd Ad scaling (every one of her abilities scale of AD, as well her passive). If someone else on your team can do the tanking/initiating, Riven is able to easily rflash--->waqaqaqar their ad carry and make it a 4 v 5. She is also exceptionally good at cleaning up a weakened enemy team. Her weakness is she's pretty fragile (usually on has her e and a ga for defense) and with the proper play/enemy team comp shes easily kited. She can hear waves with her combo, but thats really all she offers for pushing and nashor. She is much weaker in these areas than the other bruisers.

Nasus- Arguably the best "scaling" bruiser in the game due to his Q. His W and E are also are quite good debuffs and lategame with the proper cdr his w will always be on an enemy champion. A farmed nasus is one of the most terrifying champions in the game, as he is able to build **** like Shurelya's, Randuins, Frozen Heart, FON, GA, and still do retarded amounts of damage. Most Nasus players usually build Triforce at some point, but will delay it as long as possble while maybe picking up a sheen midgame. However, a farmed Nasus is still easily kited in teamfights, and the easiest way to beat Nasus is to pick a strong early game character that can abuse his horrendous early game and deny him farm (wukong, riven, nidalee, teemo, gangplank, garen, renekton, etc.... )

Rumble- Rumble has an incredibly strong game presence after he hits lvl 4. He is able to dominate most bruisers in lane. He also has deceptively good AP scaling and aoe dmg. His teamfight presence is massive because of his ultimate. Most Rumbles build fairly tanky, and this is why I consider him a "bruiser". Note: Rumble is NOT a tank and should never look to actively soak up damage. Rumble is a good pusher with his q and if you are running a double Wota strategy his nashor ability is decent. Not nearly as good as other ads but still decent. It is almost impossible to lose a teamfight with the double wota strat if you pair rumble with a strong aoe champ like kennen, cass or vlad.

Yorick- Most people say his late game is junk, but I have to disagree. Most bruisers at this point have much less dmg than their teams AD Carry so their job is mainly to soak dmg and assist the team in whatever way they can. Yorick is extremely tanky and thus a good dmg soak. His w is an amazing ability for bush control/scouting around baron, but what really makes his lategame presence decent is his R. Nearly doubling the dmg th your AD carry does late game is huge, and is enough to handily win teamfights. yorick is also a good pusher with his r and ghouls. If you are going for a sneaky baron and you still have your R active and your AD carry around, you can take Baron very quickly by using his R.

The Bad:

Nidalee- I love solo top AD nidalee, as she is the first champion I learned how to play solo top and what caused me to fall in love withs the position. While being weak in "man fights" in the early levels, she has great poke and sustain with her e. At my elo, rather than trying to fight me at early levels (which you should if you are playing against AD nidalee) most people just back off and and take minimal harass. Once she hits lvl 6, there are very few champions that can win trades with her due to her high burst damage and innate sustain. She is also a monster at pushing with cougar form wave clearing abilities and he attkspd buff;however, despite her strong early mid game, she has imo a horrendous late game. Because you build her AD she doesnt have the strong poke sabilities that AP Nidalee has. She also brings no cc to teamfights. None. She is still a good pusher and can help her team take Nashor quickly, but is really horrendous is teamfights. This is one of the reasons why I believe she is seen very little in competitive play, but is still a terror in solo queue.

I will continue to update this list but I am running out of time right now. Please free to add your evaluation of champions I didn't Mention.

Quicklist that I will update later
The Good:
Shyvanna (dat aoe)
shen (unstoppable split pusher)
ww(teamwide 40 percent aoe buff. Shreds nashor and towers)

The Bad:
garen (doesnt do much)
renekton (doesnt do much)
irelia (doest do much)
lee sin (doesnt do much)
udyr (doesnt do much)
Teemo* (his shrooms and splitpushing power almost make him good)
Pantheon (ok for 3 seconds)
Singed (bad early game, monster midgame, bad late game. Ignorable dmg and stats buff on his R get worse and worse as game goes on)

mouhaha

03-22-2012

when you talk about temmo you are talking about ad or ap?

ThatSriLankanKid

03-22-2012

Tanky dps teemo. Wriggles, Wits End, Frozen Mallet, GA, MBR, Atmas, really any mix of those items. I play teemo as a counterpick to bruisers without good gap closers or who use gap closers to get in AA range. Teemo is not a counter to champs like Panth, renekton, riven etc who rely on their spells to due to dmg. (teemo is alright against riven since his blind prevents her passive from procing. Her mobility is still an issue)

Donthealme

03-22-2012

Forgetting the closest thing LOL has to a hyper carry....Poppy would like to have a word with you.

ThatSriLankanKid

03-22-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donthealme View Post
Forgetting the closest thing LOL has to a hyper carry....Poppy would like to have a word with you.
Ahh yes.. How could I forget the terror of solo top poppy? Probably because no one at my elo plays her, and the only person who plays her at any elo is Spamhappy. But ye s, Poppy is truly one of the most terrifying late game bruisers due to her OP passive and her trololol invincible ult. Lategame starts for poppy as soon as she gets her triforce. Watch out for her then. Unless your team is fed, the rest of game is about to get very difficult for you as she will turn any fight into a 4 v 5, and will still be incredibly strong at that point.

Edit: She is also a great pick against most AD bruisers (gangplank, tryndamere etc).

WickedArts

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-23-2012

I really think you need to have a closer look at solo top Udyr or should I say the immovable object

Also teemo is a kitting master once he has Frozen Mallet hard to mess with

Donthealme

03-23-2012

Typically Poppy will dominate any bruiser top, and it usually starts once you have your sheen. I started playing Poppy fell in love and then started following spam, since then I think I am about 12-4 in ranked and finally see the light at the end of the tunnel called elo hell. She is so underrated because how bad she is for that first 3k gold.

Quick Rawr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-24-2012

I disagree with Singed's late game. You get Rylai's and you have god CC with your poison making it difficult for the enemy to get away, or to catch up with you guys. His knock back+flash can make it so that you guys can nuke down their AP/AD carry at the start of a team fight, so I think he's stellar.

Early game, if he's against someone with ranged poke, he's in trouble, but otherwise he's alright.

Fenrirrhowl

03-24-2012

Irelia and Udyr bad lategame? can someone explain this, I feel when I play those 2 my late game is amazing...

PerfectBlend

03-24-2012

My vote goes to Trundle... So underappreciated. His Pillar is Ridiculous for late game teamfights, he can splitpush with good escape capabilities, not to mention an attack speed debuff for the enemy carry and he even counters late game armor and resist stacking by being able to strip a tank of his debuffs... all of that and hes an offtank who can take quite a bit of punishment and dishes out respectable damage when built correctly...

Also he has great lane sustain and trade early game, and is hard to gank... but shhhh dont tell anyone cuz hes MY TROLL!