[Guide] statikk's Take on Kassadin the Voidwalker

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

peyo

08-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by statikk View Post
By HG you mean Haunting Guise right? Haunting Guise is a pretty solid item, I get it all the time on a lot of casters including Kassadin.

Gragas is interesting. He's so versatile, I'm not even sure what role he is most effective in as I have seen him tank, DPS, as well as AP burst with great results when played well.
yup HG is Haunting Guise.

I am wondering myself how should I play him... Saw myself all of them doing great...

Backdoor Brian

08-03-2010

A guide on shaco would be interesting to see, especially from someone in high ELO.

Sykomyke

08-03-2010

Just going to point out the obvious, I read the first page and that's all...I'll probably get flamed for this but whatever, so be it.

Purple Names=/=Automatic Good Advice.

Just because a council member posts a "guide" doesn't make that guide, the norm, overpowered, or good. It's another guide. I take them all with a grain of salt. Not only that, but perhaps statikk plays Kassasdin differently then others do. Maybe he plays him as a caster with melee attacks, instead of how some people play him which is a Melee DPS with castable spells (see the priority there?)

ARAMonstrosity

08-03-2010

Ugh. Runeterra site is blocked at work. Any chance of getting the text of your guide in the guide post here? I can always wait til after work to check it out though.

ColdBlooded

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post
Just going to point out the obvious, I read the first page and that's all...I'll probably get flamed for this but whatever, so be it.

Just because a council member posts a "guide" doesn't make that guide, the norm, overpowered, or good. It's another guide. I take them all with a grain of salt. Not only that, but perhaps statikk plays Kassasdin differently then others do. Maybe he plays him as a caster with melee attacks, instead of how some people play him which is a Melee DPS with castable spells (see the priority there?)

i like to take the advice of people who are rated as being better at the game than i am. I dunno that's just me. It's not that he's a purple, but also a high rank. High elo ratings don't just happen..

Ezzyduzzit

08-03-2010

I have to make one counter point for the suggestion against Archangels staff. I typically go tears for Kassidin but I like like to build up my riftwalk prior to engaging and without having a large mana pool that archangel's gives you it's doesn't quite work. So for example I typically build up my riftwalk in the bushes or behind a while before ganking and it greatly increases his burst. I found I can't use that strat as effectively with a relatively low mana pool because I would have to blue pill back without golem.

peyo

08-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sykomyke View Post

what's the point of ANY guide then?

4ndy

08-03-2010

I don't really have a suggest of the CHAMPION for the next mini-guide however, whichever champion you DO choose, could you also add a Twisted Treeline Specific Area to the guide, which will give a second set of items etc that may be more viable on TT also explaining its good to get wards every 3minutes for the center of the map and possibly various other locations.

In my experience I have found some guides are great for Summoner's Rift, but on TT I have to make adjustments to make it viable. Thanks.

Kajitii

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-03-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by statikk View Post
If it came down to it, I'd honestly take 2 RoA's over an RoA and an Archangel's Staff. Like I said, there are mana issues and having extra mana can be situationally useful but in skilled games you aren't likely to ever be able to take advantage of that mana because fights happen so fast. You are either dead or they are dead way before you can really take advantage of the mana. Once again I believe there are many other more efficient ways to offset mana problems such as runes, masteries, smart play, Clarity, Ancient Golem buff, etc.

This is the case for me whether I'm playing Kassadin, Karthus, or Anivia. Although mana is a great stat to have on the side, I would never personally itemize for it with the current state of item balance.
Personally for me the mana bank Archangel Staff provides is good and all, but maximum capacity is kinda overkill, especially with the 25 MP5 it gives. Its main selling point for me is the AP it can provide, since I'm not a fan of win-more items like Mejai's. Ultimately Archangel is an item of longevity for casters when Golem buff isn't available isn't it, assuming you don't get focused for some reason?

Anyways, thanks for your 2 cents statikk If and when I get up to high elo, I'm unsure if my views on Anivia+Archangel will change though =/

RiotStatikk

QA Analyst

08-03-2010
9 of 46 Riot Posts

@ peyo

Yes, lately I have been queueing with Elementz and he plays a super mean AP Gragas right now (VMan7 also does). Players like nicosharp have patented tank Gragas ages ago. I'm excited to see who can really take advantage of AD Gragas but can't really name a player off the top of my head that can really make it work on a consistent basis.

@ Azraelith

Shaco would be a fun guide. I'll look into it.

@ Sykomyke

Definitely. I don't want people to follow my guide word by word. I want them to get a taste of how I play Kassadin. It's like in any skill, it's easiest to start by copying (ie: new bands usually cover songs they like) but eventually you form your own style.

@ My Magic Stick

Hmm, guess I'll try to copy-paste the guide here.

@ ColdBlooded

It's true. The results speak for themselves. At the end of the day though, each player is going to play any given champion their own way and I am not asking everyone to play Kassadin this way whatsoever. I am just giving my advice based on what I have seen work on a consistent basis.

@ Ezzyduzzit

If that's how you feel you are most effective, by all means go for Archangel's. I prefer just to get more AP/Magic Pen instead so all 3 of my nukes are stronger especially the ones that don't force me to get to deep into melee range.

@ 4ndy

Hmmm true, I forgot about Twisted Treeline. I haven't played it for a while but for the most part Twisted Treeline builds simply have less items (due to shorter games/less farm) and definitely focus on having much more self-viability. I'll look into it.

@ Katjitii

No doubt. I'm not going to stand here and say Archangel's is the most terrible item ever and that you can't win with it. I can see its uses but I just see better options. Everything is give and take. You sacrifice one stat for the other and at the end of the day if that is your playstyle then by all means keep it if it is leading you to success.