The Current Meta: Breakdown of why you should leave it alone

12345 ... 6
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quick Rawr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-19-2012

TOP - Putting a Tanky DPS with sustain top lane is the best b/c they snowball so hard into late game. Whether they have strong burst or are quite tanky, they are a solid part of the teamfights for your team. They need to get their necessary items, and be able to take quite a few hits early game while farming up to their late game role with their expensive items.

MID - AP Carries benefit the most from getting levels, moreso than the AD carries. The minions get to the center lane faster than any other place, thus fastest exp in the middle lane. By moving them elsewhere you're limiting their potential in a teamfight by maybe a level, which would make a big difference if it was lvl 10 vs lvl 11. You want to give them the maximum benefit, plus it's the closest spot to blue.

BOTTOM - AD carries on the bottom lane puts them closest to dragon/jungle protection allowing them to invade jungle to help steal buffs as well as be right at the dragon. Also, they benefit more from items/gold than they do anything else. Putting them in the lane that's hardest to gank, with a support that allows them to farm as long and safely as possible, gives your team the greatest advantage.

SUPPORT - Necessary for your mid-late game. Usually one that is versatile solely b/c of their moves. Items built are to benefit the rest of your team (with gp5 speeding up the process of getting to those items) and also helping to sustain your AD carry in lane to get as much gold as possible while harassing the enemy and limiting their gold income.

JUNGLE - Necessary to have. Ganks allow your teammates to get ahead as the enemy either dies or has to back. Your team gets an exp benefit as well since another teammate is in the jungle. If you have a roamer, your team is missing out on gold/exp that could be had if you had a jungler. They need to have a gap closer/stun/burst or they are a waste of time on your team since they will appear in lane and give your teammates a few seconds prior to you then impeding the growth of your teammate and not being a benefit.

If you change something on your team composition solely to counter the opponents, well played. Denying the enemy is always a wonderful plus to your team as a whole.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike17032 View Post
Because not only is the meta not the only valid way to play, there are times when it isnt even the best. Bad players lean on the meta to prop up their lack of understanding and ability in the game.

The meta is a guide, not a set of rules. Bad players never understand the difference.
Quoted for truth. Counter picking and leaning to your strengths is still the most important. I'm simply stating WHY it is the way it is currently.
If you guys can think up something more effective, go for it. I 100% support the change.

I'm simply stating the cold hard facts supporting the current meta.
Do I fanboy this meta or anything like that? Nah.

Edit: I edited the original post to remove the cocky voice that it had since it wasn't really appropriate. It was originally posted after a rough game. Hopefully the information included here is helpful to all. It's just a public service announcement as to why it is the way it is.

TLDR: k.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Moses McNukem

Senior Member

03-19-2012

It's pretty simple to change IMO, it's called Riot makes a different map/mode. Then the people complaining about the Meta can play another mode.

Easy pie.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quick Rawr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-19-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moses McNukem View Post
It's pretty simple to change IMO, it's called Riot makes a different map/mode. Then the people complaining about the Meta can play another mode.

Easy pie.
You can't compare TT and SR meta. I'm not sure what you're trying to get at.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Moses McNukem

Senior Member

03-19-2012

What i'm getting at is if people do not like the current optimal meta of SR (which is looking increasingly here to stay), then they should play another mode, or Riot gives custom options to make ARAM or ARAB or w/e possible. That's all.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SentinelOfPain

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-19-2012

There's nothing wrong with coming up with different metas. I would support countering certain metas with a different one myself.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dugnamtar

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Junior Member

03-20-2012

Good lord sticky this, make all new players read it. I'm so tired of being stuck retarded team comp land.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quick Rawr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by SentinelOfPain View Post
There's nothing wrong with coming up with different metas. I would support countering certain metas with a different one myself.
Mentioned that bro:

Quote:
If you change something on your team composition solely to counter the opponents, well played. Denying the enemy is always a wonderful plus to your team as a whole. Otherwise, stop.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Sorbon

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Rawr View Post
Why mess with the meta?

Putting a tanky DPS with sustain top lane is the best b/c they snowball so hard into late game. Whether they have strong burst or are quite tanky, they are a solid part of the teamfights for your team. They need to get their necessary items, and be able to take quite a few hits early game while farming up to their late game role with their expensive items.

AP Carries benefit the most from getting levels, moreso than the AD carries. The minions get to the center lane faster than any other place, thus fastest exp in the middle lane. By moving them elsewhere you're limiting their potential in a teamfight by maybe a level, which would make a big difference if it was lvl 10 vs lvl 11. You want to give them the maximum benefit, plus it's the closest spot to blue.

AD carries on the bottom lane puts them closest to dragon/jungle protection allowing them to invade jungle to help steal buffs as well as be right at the dragon. Also, they benefit more from items/gold than they do anything else. Putting them in the lane that's hardest to gank, with a support that allows them to farm as long and safely as possible, gives your team the greatest advantage.

Support - Necessary for your mid-late game. Usually one that is versatile solely b/c of their moves. Items built are to benefit the rest of your team (with gp5 speeding up the process of getting to those items) and also helping to sustain your AD carry in lane to get as much gold as possible while harassing the enemy and limiting their gold income.

Jungle - Necessary to have. Ganks allow your teammates to get ahead as the enemy either dies or has to back. Your team gets an exp benefit as well since another teammate is in the jungle. If you have a roamer, your team is missing out on gold/exp that could be had if you had a jungler. They need to have a gap closer/stun/burst or they are a waste of time on your team since they will appear in lane and give your teammates a few seconds prior to you then impeding the growth of your teammate and not being a benefit.

Can you honestly think of a better setup with better reasoning? No? Quit trying to be all hipster and think of a new cool meta. There's a reason it's the way it is.

If you change something on your team composition solely to counter the opponents, well played. Denying the enemy is always a wonderful plus to your team as a whole. Otherwise, stop.
The problem is you have put every champion, or at least every role, into a box. Those boxes don't exist in this game. If someone is challenging you as you insist on playing "like the pros do" it's very likely they know better than you. Some AP carries are more gold dependent than some AD carries, and meanwhile do more early burst. Your argument falls apart on that alone.

It is possible to replace your carries with hybrid carries. Then who goes where?

What about the fact that "teemo top" is a regular thing now? There something wrong with that?

I've won hundreds of games because we've intentionally broken meta. Put Nidalee bottom to 1v2 decimate squishies, while 2 early harassers go top to shut down Nasus from farming... you hit mid game and 3 of them are shut down, because we broke the meta.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Quick Rawr

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-20-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorbon View Post
The problem is you have put every champion, or at least every role, into a box. Those boxes don't exist in this game. If someone is challenging you as you insist on playing "like the pros do" it's very likely they know better than you. Some AP carries are more gold dependent than some AD carries, and meanwhile do more early burst. Your argument falls apart on that alone.

It is possible to replace your carries with hybrid carries. Then who goes where?

What about the fact that "teemo top" is a regular thing now? There something wrong with that?

I've won hundreds of games because we've intentionally broken meta. Put Nidalee bottom to 1v2 decimate squishies, while 2 early harassers go top to shut down Nasus from farming... you hit mid game and 3 of them are shut down, because we broke the meta.
Teemo top is a counter pick, supported by what I said.

Some AP carries are indeed gold dependent, moreso than AD carries...? I would need an example. Plus, AP carries get LOADS of gold in mid, so there's no reason why they would need to go to the bottom lane to get more farm since they have the same amount of minions, but faster.

Hybrid carries - Depends, are they level or gold dependent? There you go, fits into my explanation still.

Nidalee 1v2 bot lane simply shows that you were able to survive well until lvl 6 and they didn't play aggressive correctly if you won the lane. Putting two top vs Nasus is inefficient for your team b/c it only takes 1 champion to do that. Fiora does that quite nicely on her own.

I understand your arguements, and against poor teams I'm sure it works fine.If you play in a draft or ranked game, I think that you would struggle in a 1v2 lane if you're playing Nidalee against a support and an AD carry. I'm glad this one specific example worked for you, but my thoughts are a little more broad than this. A Janna/Cait lane would really make a Nidalee sad. As would a Morgana/Cait lane. As would... yes a lot of lanes.


So... forgive me, but I don't see where my arguement falls apart based on anything you've said.


Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheRealTouche

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Senior Member

03-20-2012

^ humm.... Le Bump???? HELL YAAA


12345 ... 6