Kog'Maw: AP or AD

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

xxKawaii Hime

08-02-2010

I'd like to know whether Kog'Maw is more viable as AP or AD and the builds for each. Thanks

Cyrenic

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

IndomitusRex

08-02-2010

A strict AD build is not at all viable on Kog'maw. Sure, he has his Caustic Spittle ability that grants passive armour penetration, but because his attack range is so low when he's not using Bio-Arcane Barrage he really can't rely on his auto-attack damage. A lot of people like pure AP on him, but I prefer AS/AP myself.

Madred's Bloodrazor and Nashor's Tooth are the two most important items for my build. Other solid item choices are Guinsoo's Rageblade, Frozen Mallet, and Banshee's Veil. Skill priority for leveling is R>W>E>Q, with Q being a very distant 4th. It's range is just too low to make an effective nuke for Kog'maw. I use a 9/0/21 build, Magic Pen Marks, Dodge or mp5/level Seals, mp5/level Seals, 2 flat health Quints and a Movement Speed Quint.

HanzGruber

08-02-2010

I'm no pro with kog maw, but I've had a lot of luck putting madrids and rylai's together. Use his slow when they're close, then barrage them. Once they turn to run, start using artillary to keep them slowed and finish them.

Lordarcane

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-02-2010

One of my friends is finding newfound success with AD Kog after struggling with AP, so at least give it a try. He's following this guide: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=151568

IndomitusRex

08-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lordarcane View Post
One of my friends is finding newfound success with AD Kog after struggling with AP, so at least give it a try. He's following this guide: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=151568
Decent guide, but it's not an AD guide, exactly. It uses a lot of the same items I do in my AS/AP build. An AD guide, to my thinking, would advocate stacking attack damage items (in addition to crit, ArPen, etc.), which just wouldn't work with Kog.

Lordarcane

08-02-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndomitusRex View Post
Decent guide, but it's not an AD guide, exactly. It uses a lot of the same items I do in my AS/AP build. An AD guide, to my thinking, would advocate stacking attack damage items (in addition to crit, ArPen, etc.), which just wouldn't work with Kog.
It's not purely AD since it calls for Chalice and Guinsoo's (which provides AP as well as AD), but it also calls for Madred's Bloodrazor, Frozen Mallet, and Black Cleaver. It doesn't utilize a lot of the standard DPS items, but it's pretty clearly AD-focused.

Amadi

08-02-2010

Meki Pendant + 2x Health Potion => Boots => Phage => Madred's Bloodrazor => Nashor's Tooth => Frozen Mallet

You really do need the Phage for health, as far as I am concerned. You might be able to skip it if your team had healers and someone who rushed Aegis, as well as a good tank to really keep them occupied. In solo queue this is true about 1% of the time, though, so Phage really makes a difference. Slow + Range is a good combination, and the health & damage it offers are not too shoddy, either. After that you can proceed with the rest of the build.

Madred's ought to be the next item in your build. Not only does it allow you to jungle for a good while rather effectively, while you still have the unupgraded Razor, it also gives you attackspeed and a percentual damage outlet to go with your W. It's basically a core item for him. Nashor's tooth is next on line, mostly because you need the attackspeed, and AP gives your W more efficiency. CDR is a great bonus as well, and you get to put your Meki Pendant to good use.

Later on, upgrade to Frozen Mallet. At this point you should have enough damage to take down anything that moves or that doesn't move, so just grab the permaslow to make best use of your range and the health to make sure you get to use the damage output.

If the game keeps dragging on, grab something funny. Deathfire Grasp is a good call against tank-heavy teams, Banshee's Veil excels at keeping you alive against casters, Phantom Dancer makes you inescapable and helps your defenses against melee. Your pick, really.

Draik

08-02-2010

i like him with mandred's and some ap (nashor's). you hit easily 13% of the target maxium health which means 10 hits and they are dead no matter how tanky. (unless they have MR which is very rare that somone stack more than one mr item)

Nethervoid

08-02-2010

Neither, he's unplayable.