Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

How do you build Zilean

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Conflagrator

08-02-2010

I have seen a few Zilean guides, however, I still could not figure out the 'standard' build for him since the guide sometimes differ widely in the builds.

Any Zilean players care to point me to your preferred build?

Almitt

Adjudicator

08-02-2010

Go mid
start with meki and pots, the asap back for a chalice
Tear of the goddes
Merc boot (usually the best choice)
depending on opponents ( rylais, RoA or pretty much anything you want that gives you either mana or AP)
Then get your archangels when you are satisfyed with your mana.
Then zonyas.

fishfinger

08-02-2010

^ what Almitt said. Another hilarious thing to do is buy guardian angel when you're endgame and bored. Double revival is always WTF.

Zilean is such a fantastic mid, i don't see why more people don't use him/allow him to go mid (it might be because I'm still level 20).

syNkal

08-02-2010

u make him a terrorist

Haly

08-02-2010

I like Mana Manipulator for bot/top lanes into Soul Shroud for HP and CDR.

Tears of the goddess into Archangel is a must. From there it's pretty much up to you depending on their team. Too much damage? Rod of Ages + Rylai. Heavy DPS? Rush the Frozen Heart. Stacking MR? Abyssal Scepter. I rarely get Zhonya's on him actually, sure it makes him a heavy hitter but it doesn't provide what I feel is his biggest problem: Survivability.

And what ^ said. Guardian Angel if the game is dragging on and you're sitting on a pile of cash.

PerAnon

08-02-2010

You don't need to get both Tear and Chalice - one or the other is fine. Since Zil spams nonstop with rewind, I like Tear way more for him - it also builds into AA staff later.

I usually build him:

Tear
Boots 1
RoA
Boots 2
AA Staff
Zhonya's

I like RoA for the health it gives you, since Zil is pretty squishy, and it plays well with AA staff later.

For boots 2 - Merc Treads are of course often the best choice, but another fun thing to do with Zil is to pick up Boots of Mobility. With Time Warp, you'll zip around the map in no time, allowing you to be part of every teamfight.

Another item to consider (if the enemy team has physical DPS) right after your upgraded boots would be Glacial Shroud - the mana works with AA staff, CDR is hot, and of course, it has armor.

Haly

08-02-2010

Quote:
You don't need to get both Tear and Chalice - one or the other is fine. Since Zil spams nonstop with rewind, I like Tear way more for him - it also builds into AA staff later.

Zil's bomb is extremely effective early game, hence the Chalice which provides more regen for what you're doing during the laning phase.

Late game you'll be casting spells nonstop, no way a single tear can sustain you moving at max 500+ ms indefinitely while bombing everything in your path. Don't forget with rewind and Runes/Frozen heart you're more than doubling how much mana you spend relative to the start of the game.

And unlike other casters, there will rarely be a moment when you're not casting as Zilean. Even returning to base you should be putting bombs on yourself to build up Tear charges. And as you move back to a lane you should be spamming Rewind + Time Lapse. He can drain his mana pool pretty fast, which is why Chalice is much more effective on him than on others who will be sitting around 75% mana at all times except during team fights.

D0llSlght

Recruiter

08-02-2010

well.//I think zilean is more annoying side laning when he can bomb 2 people
but that is just me

syNkal

08-02-2010

he can also bomb the same guy twice in 2 seconds haha
its really frustrating

Almitt

Adjudicator

08-02-2010

Quote:
Haly:
I like Mana Manipulator for bot/top lanes into Soul Shroud for HP and CDR.

Tears of the goddess into Lichbane is a must. From there it's pretty much up to you depending on their team. Too much damage? Rod of Ages + Rylai. Heavy DPS? Rush the Frozen Heart. Stacking MR? Abyssal Scepter. I rarely get Zhonya's on him actually, sure it makes him a heavy hitter but it doesn't provide what I feel is his biggest problem: Survivability.

And what ^ said. Guardian Angel if the game is dragging on and you're sitting on a pile of cash.

What this guy said also works, if your team has that one dude that wont give you mid.

In that case, Go manipulator and build more defensivly, relying on supporting your teammates. the reason for this is that you wont be able to level your bombs quickly enough for a pure mana+ap build to work very well, so starting of with a soulshroud will be more effective.

Dont know why you would want to get a lichbane, even if the passive is good it does not provide enough raw AP to pur it in front of archangels.

-----
Also as a minor addition to my above example, Make sure you main bombs and rewind and get 1 point in speed at 4, for escapes, get ulti at 6 BUT not neccesarily on lvl 11, as that will make you reach rank 5 bombs and rank 4/5 rewind quicker, making you an absolute powerhouse. Only one rank is needed in ulti until the real teamfights start, and you will need all of the bombing power ASAP.