Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is Dominion taken seriously?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Lacking

03-17-2012

Quote:
TheFeedski:
Stttoooop with the ELO stuff. It's not the best example of skill. Look at his win/loss. It's almost even. If elo wasn't out, you would not be looking at this guy now as a "972 dom elo player", because his win/loss isn't horrible. There are many people with a win/loss similar to his, but have a much higher rating than 972 because of God knows what. And no one really does know why that is for sure. So don't post that and think you made a valid point.

I think what he is trying to say isn't that OP is a bad player. He plays slightly above average in SR ranked games and the crowd he is meeting is therefore of that caliber. They take the game seriously.

On the other hand, his elo is low on Dom, for whatever reason. Therefore, he plays with the crowd who takes the game less seriously. Even the post asking him to dodge to 800 elo in ranked is trying to say the same thing. People at lower elo play the game less seriously and you'll get more ****ty behavior at lower elos.

In short, his experience is different because his elo is different on the 2 maps. It has nothing to do with the average player playing a particular map.

Viktoree

03-17-2012

ELO is a terrible way to judge a players worth, it's a team based ranking system which means that 4/5th's of a person's ranking is actually out of the players hands.

Hawkwìng

03-17-2012

@ op. i didnt read the thread. but the players get alot better once your not stuck in the 900 dominion elo.

so yes. once you get your elo past 972. your teammates will get better.

Ikarurob

03-17-2012

by the people trollpicking, afking, and now a new one, raging....id say no

also some idiots think urgot sucks.....its turned into SR. Guess the devs have to take Dom seriously now.

Zirzul

03-17-2012

Quote:
iProbie:
well, I guess dominion will end up just like twisted treeline

neglected in the abyss by their own creators...

I think like that now and again, but then I remember that rickless loves dom probably more then us. Then I just imagine him busting into whatever room matters at Riot and jabbing people with a sharp stick to get dominion discussion going. It makes me feel a little better.

ActionButlerGO

03-17-2012

Quote:
Viktoree:
ELO is a terrible way to judge a players worth, it's a team based ranking system which means that 4/5th's of a person's ranking is actually out of the players hands.

+1

OT....

...actually, no, the topic doesn't really justify a response and the OP is a reminder of why I don't play on the weekends.

Hugs From Momma

03-17-2012

Another hate thread dumped into the Dom forum.

THANKS MODS!

Forbiddian

03-17-2012

Quote:
TheFeedski:
Stttoooop with the ELO stuff. It's not the best example of skill. Look at his win/loss. It's almost even. If elo wasn't out, you would not be looking at this guy now as a "972 dom elo player", because his win/loss isn't horrible. There are many people with a win/loss similar to his, but have a much higher rating than 972 because of God knows what. And no one really does know why that is for sure. So don't post that and think you made a valid point.

Win/Loss ratio is totally irrelevant. Elo determines how difficult your matches are. Regardless of your true Elo (as long as there are enough people at the same to give you a good match), you'll have a 50% win/loss ratio once you get to your true Elo. The question is just how fast you got there and how much you're learning.

What probably happened to the OP is that he lost all of his placement matches (or most of them). If he picked beginner when he made his account, he'll get dropped to 900 Elo just from losing those 5 games. Since then, he's been stable around 1000 Elo.

Good players have high win/loss ratios because 1) you continue to improve every game and 2) eventually you reach a point (seems to happen a lot after 2000 Elo) where you'll be paired down more often than you're paired up because there are quite a bit more people online below your rating than above it. When you're paired down, your side is expected to win *and* you get fewer points for a win and more for a loss.

Regardless of his win/loss ratio, the OP is a 1000 rated player. Based on his win/loss ratio, he's probably been a 1000 rated player for quite a long time. Maybe bad luck, but it seems like he's not stepping his game up very much with experience.

EDIT: It's also not "God knows what". The rules surrounding Elo and matchmaking are fairly well established.

Prometheius

03-17-2012

Quote:
TheFeedski:

I would STILL be looking at him and calling him a **** player because he has a terrible Dom W/L ratio and he's average at best in SR.

The "many" that have similar W/l ratios and higher Elo are because they're actually winning vs hard enemies while losing vs lower enemies, which already makes them better than the ones that can only win vs easy idiots.

His Jabebot stats are valid. He's ****, plays vs ****ty enemies, and has ****ty allies. No one gives a **** at low Elo. Fact. That's why they're low Elo.

Ascleph

03-17-2012

Some people just forget how terrible their teamates were when they started playing. Sub 1.5k is extremely bad, there are lots of akali/gp/jax bans, trash talking, dcs, afks... in short: SR players.
Getting out of the SR player elo range makes dominion much better, so yes, elo matters.