Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

So, revive...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Ascleph

03-16-2012

Quote:
FDru:
And how the hell is revive not situational?

Honestly most other summoner spells are much less situational. Exhaust/Ignite? You can almost use those on cooldown and get the full benefit from it, since fights happen all the time. You can safely tower dive every 3 minutes with Garrison and that's a pretty big deal.

Revive is just another situational summoner spell... on 3x the cooldown.

The thing is that, exhaust/ignite/garrison/etc, may not win you the game as often as being alive when you otherwise wouldnt be. The other summoner spells are more like lots of tiny pushes that contribute to the win, while revive is more like a strong and noticeable push. Maybe if you had those tiny pushes the big push from revive wouldnt be needed, but thats not something you can be sure about.
You can hardly ever tell when an exhaust/ignite won you the game (you can tell when a clutch garrison did, but that one happens once ever leap year), but you can tell when a revive wins you the game for sure and its not that uncommon either.

Its really an issue about perception, what people feel helps them the most

larkhill

03-16-2012

revive has 2 uses, which is good cause u'll only really use it twice a game anyway. anyone that dies in the first fight can revive, come back, and clean up to get an easy cap. 2nd use is obviously bot where 1 cap can mean losing the game entirely.

i was never a big fan of it. i always just preferred buying boots of mobility and using ghost.

my issue with revive is primarily the fact that it will only be useful twice so the maximum potential for it to win u a game is only 2 times. for spells like garrison or exhaust, u can get many kills off them and each 1 of those plays can win u the game. we've all seen the 1 tank with upgraded garrison getting a triple kill at his own tower. we've all used exhaust to stop ganks. if u screw up on the revive after first fight top, revive basically becomes a terrible decision that mmight cost u the game. u get a lot mroe chances to make plays with other spells.

Forestgreen02

03-16-2012

Yea, I see it alot in my ELO, 2100+. Its good because of the clutch fights. You will get caught at some point, when you do you can turn a 4v3 fight against you to a 4v4 even match. You usually use revive to resurrect the same time your team mates do so you can sync. No use constantly dying one by one and getting overwhelmed. I rarely use it to save top point, usually just to save mid or bot if all our teammates cannot get to the point in time.
TBH, ignite + exhaust is just as good as ignite + revive IMO, exhaust will save you and help you win fights you would of lost. Nothing like exhausting Talon and having him do jack all then raping him in the face since he burned his ult.

03-17-2012

Securing a kill is no where near as important as securing a cap point and holding it. It helps you win top and hold top with the extra hp. It also allows excellent map control with the move speed buff.

Another thing about revive is that the only way to counter it is with revive. That right there is pretty strong by itself.

RealWolf M

03-17-2012

put it this way, there is a reason that there are 4-5 revives in every NESL game per team

Clearcutter

03-17-2012

Hello.

imo revive is often used because it is less likely to be wasted. i did not see this perk in revive until i ran it myself and compared it to how often i used my other SS. no matter the elo, it is common to see players burning their SS during team battles because of lack of coordination and foresight, especially at windmill in the beginning. because most people will be forced to use these skills to win top tower (in appropriate mm this first battle is always a struggle), SS usually go on CD at this point. after more than 3 mins, exhaust/ghost will be up. although revive's CD is still at about 5 mins, an exhaust/ghoster has those 5 mins to use his SS again, or they will just be wasting their CD compared to revive. to optimize exhaust/ghost they must be used again during this time interval and of course ASAP. the longer you wait, the less useful having the skill is. it is more difficult to make a good call on when to use these SS, as opposed to INSTA-RESPAWN-WIDSPEEDBOOST&HEALTH, because there is ALWAYS something to do. the time formula continues as the game progresses.

as fdru states, imo revive is currently quite overused. i believe this to be because often players solo/duo queue, and dont roll fat premades. revive is a lot easier to fully utilize on a team that cannot instantly talk and plan with each other. id imagine true competitive premades should not run with all revive, because they should be coordinated enough to say "hey, we can make this play happen i have exhaust/ignite/garrison/etc. if played like how dom should be played (5v5 premade) i would like to believe a team that is able to utilize other SS and not revive can come out on top.

also, i dont roll premade often at all, so i could be completely wrong and you dont have a tldr. hue.

Kedoren

03-17-2012

I like revive a LOT. I actually got quite a bit of **** for using it, but didn't care. Exhaust or ignite MAY or MAY NOT secure a kill for me. It MAY save me from a gank. Ghost MAY save me, but I've had way too many times where I ghosted and get stunned, snared, etc. and still get **** on anyways. Revive ALWAYS works. Always. I usually run either exhaust/revive, or ignite/revive... whichever my team has less of. If I'm playing a squishy ad/caster I generally run ghost/revive.

For bottom lane, I laugh when I see promote. The only way I could see it being useful is if the cooldown was so low you could use it on every wave or every other wave. Otherwise, 2 free instant respawns? Yes please.

And flash? Pretty lame on dominion imo.

ImCoolerOnline

03-17-2012

The average use of revive is above 2. Id say in at least 1 of 3 games I can pop my revive 3 times instead of 2 and thats w/o utility mastery. And the extra health is extremely useful the 2 times u always get to use it.

ActionButlerGO

03-17-2012

Quote:
FDru:
It's overused and overrated. Bot laner should have it because that's just smart. Beyond that you shouldn't have more than 1-2. Just like any other SS.

This.

Unless your whole team has it, is communicating, and is rotating who is using it, I don't see much of an advantage. And even then, I'm not sure if its worth the loss of an other SS.

ANUS JACKHAMMER

03-17-2012

Quote:
Forestgreen02:
You usually use revive to resurrect the same time your team mates do so you can sync...
TBH, ignite + exhaust is just as good as ignite + revive IMO, exhaust will save you and help you win fights you would of lost. Nothing like exhausting Talon and having him do jack all then raping him in the face since he burned his ult.

This is the first post that came close to a correct analysis of Revive. He hit is right on the money when he said "You usually use revive to resurrect the same time your team mates do so you can sync." Revive is most useful when used simultaneously with other teammates. Typically, this is much more easily done with a premade than with a PUG. So consider this.

One revive at a time is not nearly as useful, since if that one person had had exhaust or ignite instead of revive, they may not have lost that fight in the first place from which they are now reviving themselves. Not to mention, Revive comes with a necessary travel time after it, whereas exhaust/ignite are immediately effective. IMO, Revive should never be used when solo-queuing unless you have a global ultimate, or something like a global ultimate (Pantheon / Karthus / Shen, for instance), so that you are more immediately available after popping Revive.

Exhaust/Ignite is what I run on every champion. There is too much utility in these to not use them both (IMO). Not to say Revive and Ghost aren't nice, and some others too, but I think these bring the most utility to the table. It should be kept in mind that a well-used Exhaust can have a much greater effect in securing a fight than a Revive. Exhausting someone with massive AoE burst just before they use that burst can win large team fights, and hence the game - think Talon for instance. Ignite is oh-so-sweet for countering the lifesteal / spellvamp that nearly everyone has endgame.