So, revive...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

swampfox357

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-16-2012

Seems like the higher I get elo-wise the more often I see revive. When I noticed most of my teammates were picking it, I tried it for a couple games on Ez (exhaust/revive). I didn't do well at all. I tend to use my ghost for kiting in fights and when I defend points; I just got destroyed by bruisers because I didn't have it.

When should you pick revive? Is it really a must have on most champions? Are there any glaring exceptions?

No offense intended here, but I'm looking for some responses from people that are 1800 elo+. What works in games with AP Shaco's and straight AD Garens isn't really what I'm looking for.

FuzzyLuffle

03-16-2012

I'm high 1700's, so let me see...

The major benefit of revive is that with the HP boost and movement speed, it allows you to reenter a fight that you died early on from, with a bonus. Most generally, this is the level 3/4 fight for the windmill, where those who have revive tend to win. Though it tends to at minimum get used at least once more.

It is generally useful, but knowing when to revive is very important. If you can't do anything by being alive (such as reviving to be a solo attacker vs an enemy team on a point), waiting till you can 'really' use it is important.

In addition, if your dying as Ez, there may be other issues. Ezreal's game is kiting and skillshots. Are you getting the Phage and some cooldown reduction early enough? Are you getting some level of defense if their team has a bias towards AD or AP? Do you have some early lifesteal? Do you mess up the wall jumps? (I don't know, but its other things to consider)

Emeraldw

03-16-2012

1800 is a pretty high barrier, that is only something like 5% or less of the population?

Anyways, I see the value in it, but a 8 minute timer is pretty extreme compared to other summoners that would be used about 3 times in the same period to prevent or ensure kills.

That said, one bad death can cost you the game at the very end and being able to come back is a big deal.

FDru

03-16-2012

It's overused and overrated. Bot laner should have it because that's just smart. Beyond that you shouldn't have more than 1-2. Just like any other SS.

ProSauce VT

03-16-2012

Revive is the ultimate clutch game spell. In that regard it isn't something you keep on cooldown. Its something that when used at the right time, will be the deciding factor of winning the game. The ideal use for revive is when you being alive will have a significant and near instant impact on the flow of the game.

I realize that statement is a bit ambiguous to the extent of confusing but in truth, in a few games you can see that revive was the reason a given team won. In all the other games however, its impossible to say that it was 100% or even 51% the reason for the win. Ultimately it comes down to how and when you use it. The easiest way to tell is when a Shen or Panth revives and ults and either stops a cap or saves a teammate that results in a team-fight reversal.

That being said: I believe an unwritten rule, that has come about in the highest of skilled play, is if your team has 1 dead and the opposing team do not, then you can not safely or effectively maintain or gain any map control. That is why I take Revive on every champ I play. I don't know how else to better put it unfortunately as it is a rather intricate concept. The best way would be to compare it to your other summoner spell choices I would say.

Also it should be noted the free Giant's Belt for 2 min can be a significant advantage as well.

swampfox357

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by FuzzyLuffle View Post
In addition, if your dying as Ez, there may be other issues. Ezreal's game is kiting and skillshots. Are you getting the Phage and some cooldown reduction early enough? Are you getting some level of defense if their team has a bias towards AD or AP? Do you have some early lifesteal? Do you mess up the wall jumps? (I don't know, but its other things to consider)
I've got almost 100 games with Ez. 1v1 or in fair fights I can kite and escape very well. However, I'm used to defending points against 2+ enemies, with at least 1 having a stun or a gap close of some kind. Being able to blink over a wall and a slow chance can only get you so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldw View Post
1800 is a pretty high barrier, that is only something like 5% or less of the population?
2000 would have been more accurate. I don't usually see people run with revive unless they're 2000+, but there are a lot of people that are good players that float up and down.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vastatio Tactics View Post
Revive is the ultimate clutch game spell. In that regard it isn't something you keep on cooldown. Its something that when used at the right time, will be the deciding factor of winning the game. The ideal use for revive is when you being alive will have a significant and near instant impact on the flow of the game.

Also it should be noted the free Giant's Belt for 2 min can be a significant advantage as well.
It does have some great benefits, but at this point I'm leaning more towards keeping my Exhaust/Ghost. I could drop Exhaust instead, but then I'm fodder for a true AD carry should I have to fully engage one.

It's worked fine up til now, I'm just trying to make sure I'm not limiting my gameplay or putting myself at a disadvantage.

Ascleph

03-16-2012

It can win you games more often than any other summoner spells. Sure, maybe ghost would've allowed you to reach that tower faster and interrupt a cap, or garrison would've won you a game by interrupting a cap too, but those are extremely situational, while being able to ress near the end of the game can change a game more consistently than what the other summoner spells could've done.

AAARRRRGGGGGHHHH

03-16-2012

rare footage of fdru getting downvoted

revive was great, prior to the mastery rework and the subsequent nerfs. it still has its uses, but it's not an every-champ summ spell, as you have experienced.

FDru

03-16-2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascleph View Post
It can win you games more often than any other summoner spells. Sure, maybe ghost would've allowed you to reach that tower faster and interrupt a cap, or garrison would've won you a game by interrupting a cap too, but those are extremely situational, while being able to ress near the end of the game can change a game more consistently than what the other summoner spells could've done.
And how the hell is revive not situational?

Honestly most other summoner spells are much less situational. Exhaust/Ignite? You can almost use those on cooldown and get the full benefit from it, since fights happen all the time. You can safely tower dive every 3 minutes with Garrison and that's a pretty big deal.

Revive is just another situational summoner spell... on 3x the cooldown.

Makestro

03-16-2012

revive & garrsion all day every day!