Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Taric Help!!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Savsta

08-02-2010

Yeah I noticed i was getting burst down a bit. Still. I just dont see why. My heals are woeful and the auras? well a bit of armor and aegis is pretty minimal support.. I just dont get him unfortunately

shanthia

08-02-2010

I have a 90% win ratio with Taric and I'm rated 1612 right this moment, and he's my main character, so I think I can answer your questions. I can't tell you the best playstyle for you, or the best playstyle for your level of play, but I can tell you how I play him, what my rune masteries are, what my talents are, and how I play him. Keep in mind, top 100 level play is probably a bit different from casual play, so doing this might actually be really bad for you. I don't play Taric when I know my allies aren't in the top 500 or so, because really he's a support hero, and you're only as good as your allies are. If your allies might be bad, pick a hero that will let you carry them to victory.

Rune masteries:
Red- spell pen (I might switch to AP, but I don't think it's a big enough difference to matter.)
Yellow - dodge (everything else sucks, and an 8% chance to live if someone is chasing you with no mana is decently fair)
Blue - scaling CDR (everything else is complete ****.)
Quintessence - movespeed (I can't believe anyone on any hero gets anything other than movespeed)

skills - clairvoyance/flash

masteries - 9/0/21
Offense:
1/3 crit chance, 3/3 scaling AP
4/4 CDR
1/1 spell pen (thinking about dropping this for an extra point in utility)

Utility:
1/3 death time reduction, 3/3 health/mana regen
4/4 XP boost, 1/4 mana
3/3 MR
3/3 MS 1/1 flash
3/3 CDR 1/1 clairvoyance
1/1 summoner CDR

First 3 levels
EWQ (change depending on circumstances, but I get E first 99% of the time and W second 80% of the time)
After that focus R, W, Q, and E in that order.
(Reference: R - imba aura ultimate, E - imba stun, W - imba aura non-ultimate, Q - imba heal)
I almost always get E first because I cannot think of any situation where a heal will save your ass where a stun won't save it better (and also maybe get you a kill).

Item build:
The recommended item build is actually really good, except that it lacks wards.
Meki pendant, 2 health pots (health pots allow you to take Q later, in case you get harassed early. This is good because that shatter and stun might get you a kill, and definitely help you stay in lane.)
wards
Boots
wards
(Next few items go in whatever order you feel is necessary.)
Boots -> Merc Treads
wards
meki pendant -> chalice of harmony
wards
ruby crystal
wards
ruby crystal -> aegis
(This is actually all you need. aegis/chalice/merc treads)
If you're rolling in gold for some reason (you shouldn't be unless you're just rolling the other team), get a soul shroud.
Feel free to get a oracles for counterwarding/shaco hunting
Get tons of wards.

The other team will invariably get wards, so get a few of the good wards to counterward, and a few of the bad wards if you're low on gold (which you will be). You don't need any HP. And anyone who ever puts HP on Taric is bad and should feel bad. Taric is a low priority target for the other team, due to his high base-HP, and the little damage he does. It makes much more sense to kill that +90damage ashe first then taric, then kill taric to get rid of the +90 damage then ashe. If you're having trouble staying alive (which you shouldn't if you use clairvoyance and wards), then get some more HP, but really if you can't live even with that much map awareness, HP won't solve the problem of you being bad.

Gameplay:
Go lane with the guy who wants a healer in his lane and doesn't need solo as badly as the others (or can't solo).
Don't last hit unless you're sure your allies aren't gonna get it. This also means don't go to lanes to farm if your allies can do it. Once you hit about lvl5 or so, try to go to different lanes to help your allies with your stun and shatter. Once you hit lvl6, feel free to try to push towers with creep support. Essentially, just do what support heroes do best. Try to avoid last hitting heroes (unless you think there's a chance they'll get away). Don't get the auras, but do help your allies get them. Be sure to help your allies get dragon as frequently as possible.

You're just a support hero, so your deaths aren't worth that much, aside from the added gold for your opponents. So feel free to live a little dangerously in the beginning. But be careful, I died before lvl5 twice in my last two games.

That's about it. In a typical 30 minute game, my KDA is usually somewhere along the lines between 1-2-20 and 3-5-30.

Use clairvoyance wisely. Use wards wisely. Support the hell out of your allies.

Anyway, that's how I play him, and it works quite well for me (91% win ratio at the moment with Taric). I was also once described as "#1 Taric" by laoching, so maybe my opinion is worth something. Anyway, just play a lot with him, find what works for you.

shanthia

08-02-2010

Additionally: Virtually never pop your aura until you have to. Don't stun their shen/rammus, stun their **** Katarina/Ashe. These things might be obvious, but they're actually the most important things, I think.

Use R liberally. Your mana should constantly be low.

I'm thinking of adding more mana regen to my build. However, if you ever need mana, just go to the jungle.

Savsta

08-02-2010

Sounds a little dull but from what ur saying, what is it that makes Taric that good a support champ if all he is adding is an aegis. Is it also the armor buff and the small help from radiance? It just seems odd that all u need is those three items and ur kinda done as a support champ. But, being that i am a lowbie and quite noobish I guess it just wont

I appreciate all the feedback, and so far I have sucked hard most games due to my team never sticking with me, thinking my heals are way more than they are and not taking advantage of the radiance damage boost.

That being said I actually run blue and yellow mana regen runes so i can spam radiance a bit more. Red Mpen and I actually do flat health quints for early game survivability... I keep hearing that Move speed runes are luckluster.

So I will see if I have this straight. I am mostly there for the clutch stun, a small heal and turret busting?

shanthia

08-05-2010

Quote:
Sounds a little dull but from what ur saying, what is it that makes Taric that good a support champ if all he is adding is an aegis. Is it also the armor buff and the small help from radiance? It just seems odd that all u need is those three items and ur kinda done as a support champ. But, being that i am a lowbie and quite noobish I guess it just wont

What makes Taric a good support hero are his entire hero:
1) Radiance for taking down towers quickly
2) Stun
3) Aura
4) Heal
Other things that are useful, but not as important are:
5) Shatter damage
6) Passive mana.
Note that the 4 most important things do not receive any sort of bonus from items! You could use some CDR, I suppose, but I don't think it's worth it. Thus, it's not that Taric just needs an aegis, it's that he is already the complete support package without any items, so that makes you a great candidate for getting aegis for your team.

Quote:
I appreciate all the feedback, and so far I have sucked hard most games due to my team never sticking with me, thinking my heals are way more than they are and not taking advantage of the radiance damage boost.

I wouldn't play Taric if I thought my allies might be bad. Either play with your friends, or pick a new hero for low-level play.

Quote:
That being said I actually run blue and yellow mana regen runes so i can spam radiance a bit more. Red Mpen and I actually do flat health quints for early game survivability... I keep hearing that Move speed runes are luckluster.

A lot of people don't believe in move speed runes, but I think they're the best. 1.5% movespeed *WILL* save your ass, and probably a lot better than 100hp!

Quote:
So I will see if I have this straight. I am mostly there for the clutch stun, a small heal and turret busting?

That is exactly right. Although, I'd put the order at turret busting, stun, and then heal. Your auras don't hurt, either!

Mr Scorpio

08-05-2010

Quote:
I played taric a couple of times while free and really enjoyed the gameplay. I mistakenly leveled the stun ahead of his shield the first game, but soon discovered u dont really use it for the damage and rectified that mistake.

Leveling Dazzle first reduces it's cooldown, which if you are stacking some CDR through masteries, runes, and the item below, should get you a stun that is up every few seconds.

Nashor's Tooth has become a core item in my Taric build recently -- it gives 25% CDR, which if you have about 5-6% from runes and another 9% from masteries, you'll be at the 40% CDR cap. At rank 5 Dazzle, your stun is up every 6 seconds. Nashor's also gives a much needed attack speed increase for farming jungle quickly during down time. It also give a nice boost in AP, which affects all abilities. Lastly, a nice bit of mana regen.

This is how I play Taric. I reduce cooldowns so I can heal and stun more often. After Nashors, I like going Rylai's Scepter as it gives a nice balance of AP and health.

So my core build is this:
Meki Pendent
Boots 1 + Arcane Tome
Finish Nashor's Tooth
Finish boots 2 (I usually take Mobility or Merc treads)
Build Rylai's Scepter (Taric needs the health boost imo)

My skilling order is Shatter, Dazzle, Imbue, Dazzle, Dazzle, Ult, then prioritize Dazzle > Imbue > Shatter. As stated, I level Dazzle first because you need that low CD come mid game. I rank up Imbue next because again, low cooldown heal makes for frequent heals. I don't bother with Imbue until later because the ranks only increase armor by 5 per rank, which isn't a huge amount, and the damage component is better off used late game when aoe is needed for team fights. By this time, you should have a little AP to make it worthwhile.

Alucard628

08-05-2010

Everyone posting all this great info but no one ever says if they're talkin about summoner's rift or twisted treeline.
I personally would like some tips for taric on TT