Taric Help!!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Savsta

08-01-2010

I played taric a couple of times while free and really enjoyed the gameplay. I mistakenly leveled the stun ahead of his shield the first game, but soon discovered u dont really use it for the damage and rectified that mistake.

The thing that gets me tho, is the rune and mastery setup and most importantly, the item build. I found the 'aura' build to be quite lackluster. I tried a semi AP build and im not sure I did any better there. Could I get some advice from some long time or high level taric players? I would only be using him when duoing with a mate of mine who uses sion/garen/shaco or gang (rarely gang these days).

Thanks guys.

RocketSlug

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2010

I play Taric a ton, and do just fine with "Auradin" builds. I have a sorta-old guide I wrote up here. If you have any questions I'd be glad to help.

xavarn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

08-01-2010

Well since taric is almost always instabanned on ranked idont play him as much as id like to. However, id say that the build of a taric is highly team dependent. If you have 2 + tanks on your team you can afford to lax a bit on the armor but still get ur MR up There. If you have one other tank which is often the case, id say go for Aura like mentioned Above. The core item build is :

Soul Shroud
Rod of Ages
Aegis
Boots (either merc or tabi depending on the other team comp.)

For the masteries id recomend going for the 9/0/21 or 9/21/0 I usually play the first but I guess its more reflective of your play style.

The runes are really not as important on Taric
Red: Magic Pen
Yellow: Health/Dodge
Blue: MP5/ CDR
Quints: Health/MS

Savsta

08-01-2010

Thanks for the replies.

I mustnt be playing him right then. I just found I couldnt do much with the 'auradin' build. That being said. I dont play ranked. Only level 25 so usually i choose a tnak or support champ cause every other bloke and his granny are choosing dps/carries so I feel the team needs balance. But with my mate I am still the only tank. Is he a healer? Cause if he is, I didnt feel like I was contributing much in that department with next to no AP. I dunno. I loved playing him, but maybe i just dont know HOW to play him maybe.....

My current setup also is 4/0/21, was thinking of going down to 15% Mpen, or going 0/9/21.. My runes: (still undecided on the setup)
Red: Either ArPen or MPen
Yellow: Dodge or MP5/18
Blue: Flat CDR or MP5/18
Quint: Flat Health.

RocketSlug

08-01-2010

Dunno about Rod of Ages, but that's just me. Most games are won with something like Soul Shroud, Aegis, boots, and Chalice. As Taric, you're the enabler. You enable everyone around you to r@pe face. You watch a tower melt before you and smirk because you know that it was your Ultimate that made it go down so fast. You feel like a boss when everyone's keeping close to you and you're handing out heals like some guardian angel. You charge into combat, gemstones blazing, reading to send razor-sharp shards into your opponents' eyes and watch with satisfaction as your teammates rip them to shreds.

Recently I had some of my most memorable Taric games ever. One was an epic game that was pushing 50 minutes. Vs a DPS-heavy team of Nasus, Ashe, Heimer(?), Yi, and Vlad, I skipped my Mana Manipulator (had 3 non-mana champs) and built Frozen Heart and Starks after Aegis and boots. After a strong push and an even stronger counter-push by the opposing team, we managed to grab baron and win the game even with Yi backdooring and having super minions knocking on our nexus towers.

Second game wasn't as evenly matched, but it tested my focus to the limit. The opposing team had Zilean and Annie, who were dealing massive amounts of damage to our Annie and Tristana while we were defending our turrets. I had to prioritize my heals, hit minions to rush the cooldowns Imbue while avoiding getting harassed myself, and ultimately timing my stuns to turn their pushes around for the win. I was scrambling back and forth, but I couldn't have been happier to do so.

xavarn

08-01-2010

Yeah its a bit tricky. Taric in most cases will not be a main tank (pardon my WoW jargon) since he has no way of effectively initiating other than a stun if the other team over exteneds.
That being said here are three roles which he will play and their team dependency:

Support: You will stay with the team but generally hang out in the back casting heals when possible and having auro buffs/debuffs for your team, and msot importantly stunning their dps !!! I cannot emphasize enough how important clutch stuns are. (This build is the most team dependent)

Off-tank: You will have high ammounts of armor and MR but will still have your rod of ages in order to be able to get in there and auto attack and take some hits so you can cast most heals. (Slightly Team Dependent)

Ap: Well the name says it all, you are the healadin of LoL your heals will be pumping out some 500-600 on others and at least 700 on urself. For this you will need a high attack speed (yay nashor's and rageblade) and some decent ammount of Armor/MR because no one likes a healer. Finally ur stun and shatter combo will make ganking such a breeze but you will be stuck only healing in team fights. (Very dependent on ur team's dps and tanks)

Savsta

08-01-2010

I've seen some guides around that equate Taric to a better version of Sion? and able to dish about as much damage but better? So they advocated building him similar to an ap sion, and also a hybrid. I wish I had the links to post to you guys. The hybrid had rageblade and nashors thats all i remember. So do they have any standing? Can u build him into a damage dealing healer similar to that of sion?

I was just finding also... that without AP the heals did squat, altho I think i said that already but i dont think standing around with auras popping heals was working for me.. Could be.. could be the team.. Who can say really. I'll stick with my inexperience as Taric being the culprit.

RocketSlug

08-01-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savsta View Post
Thanks for the replies.

I mustnt be playing him right then. I just found I couldnt do much with the 'auradin' build. That being said. I dont play ranked. Only level 25 so usually i choose a tnak or support champ cause every other bloke and his granny are choosing dps/carries so I feel the team needs balance. But with my mate I am still the only tank. Is he a healer? Cause if he is, I didnt feel like I was contributing much in that department with next to no AP. I dunno. I loved playing him, but maybe i just dont know HOW to play him maybe.....
No worries, I first picked up Taric at around the low 20's and haven't had much of a problem. Most of the time I observe my team comp and pick Taric if we've got some strong physical DPS champs (Ashe, Pantheon, Warwick, Yi, Sivir, etc.), because they're the one who benefit most from your ultimate. He's a combo off-tank/support. A lot of the time if you're the only tank you're going to be doing most of the initiating. Communication and timing becomes essential. Your stun is a single target only. Stun your target, run in, shatter, ult, and start going to town. Your team should be right with you. If it's a big teamfight, I have exhaust to take a physical carry out of play, or I can use it to catch a runaway if Dazzle is on cooldown.

While Taric is tough, he's not nearly as sturdy as a lot of the dedicated tanks. Teamfights with Taric should be quick, brutal affairs where your team focuses on whoever you stunned, taking them out with all the buffs you provide and instantly turning the fight in your favor as it suddenly becomes a 5v4. However, you shouldn't be actively looking for teamfights. You're first and foremost a pusher. There are more instances than I can count where my team pushes towards a tower and I'm shrugging off the enemies as I smash down the tower. With teleport, you can be anywhere very quickly, and if you teleport into a mob of your minions, they instantly become a tower-downing force to be reckoned with.

xavarn

08-01-2010

Well here's the thing. There are two levels of play. Casual and Serious. If you want to have fun and get kills yeah taric can do that for you especially at lower lvls. However if you enjoy winning mroe than killing your better bet is to have a support taric because thats his role. Taric was not really meant to be a damage dealer but more of someone who just ROFLSTOMPS towers and gives all melee champs around him a +45 dmg at lvl 18 which is just OP.

RocketSlug

08-01-2010

Heals are for the most part relegated to the laning phase and keeping your lane partner healthy. Towards the end of the game they're less about keeping your teammates topped off and more about giving them a little extra oomph to survive being focused while your team is doing its own job.

My issue with AP and offensive Taric builds is that they're expensive. The beauty of Auradin is that his equipment is cheap. My usual ending equipment is Mana Manip, Merc Treads, Aegis, Chalice, and possibly a Giant's Belt. Total, this costs 5600 gold. I can get online and being a benefit to my team with very little money. A representative AP build of Merc Treads, Guisoo's, Nashor's, and Rod of Ages is pushing 9355 gold. You have to farm like a maniac to get this kind of gold (though admittedly Shatter does make it slightly easier). AP Tarics become a healing monster late game, while still being sorta squishy. Aura Taric pushes so hard there is no late game.